Is Rotarycraft stupidly difficult or am I the stupid one?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
You mean you want to run, say, an extractor off of one engine chain via a multi-directional clutch to shift the gear ratio? Because I'm fairly certain it's a very common use for it, and you described it to a Tee.

Okay, great. How do you switch the input from one to the other though?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, great. How do you switch the input from one to the other though?
Honestly? You ever considered using another multi-directional clutch on the output side? Just gotta make sure it accepts power from the side you send it from when it gets there.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Nopony pushes new Fluttershy around!
Sorry could not resist
fluttershy_with_angel_by_cptofthefriendship-d4gkgda.png

I don't like that episode :(

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly? You ever considered using another multi-directional clutch on the output side? Just gotta make sure it accepts power from the side you send it from when it gets there.

But how do you do that? The multi-directional clutch only accepts one input. I know I am being dense, but for some reason I am having some kind of mental block on this...

DepressivesBrot

Jul 29, 2019
Both inputs to a shaft junction in merge mode have to be at the same speed. A multidirectional clutch with two inputs would only transmit one of its inputs depending on a redstone signal, just like the current multidirectional clutch transmits its input to an output depending on redstone.
The other one can also be zero, I've used a clutch with different gear setups before to run an extractor.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
The other one can also be zero, I've used a clutch with different gear setups before to run an extractor.
I can see that work. I do recall shaft junctions still working if 1 of 2 inputs is inactive. So conceivably if you had two gearing sets, and put a clutch on the end of each one, you could toggle which of the two gear sets were disengaged. Thus the shaft junction would still function. And you have that match the multi-directional clutch at the start..

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
But how do you do that? The multi-directional clutch only accepts one input. I know I am being dense, but for some reason I am having some kind of mental block on this...
...When you set the redstone signal for the first one, set it for the second one on the same line...

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
...When you set the redstone signal for the first one, set it for the second one on the same line...

Exactly. If you're set on having 2 inputs, use 2 clutches outputting to a shaft junction. Toggle between the 2 clutches. This also allows more than 2, or even more than 6 inputs if you really wanted.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly. If you're set on having 2 inputs, use 2 clutches outputting to a shaft junction. Toggle between the 2 clutches. This also allows more than 2, or even more than 6 inputs if you really wanted.
And now you're thinking like an Engineer. And Cave Johnson. But he's crazy. I mean, Science is about nothing BUT why! Engineering? Oh, that's all "Why not?" the whole way down.

Elessar

Jul 29, 2019
And now you're thinking like an Engineer. And Cave Johnson. But he's crazy. I mean, Science is about nothing BUT why! Engineering? Oh, that's all "Why not?" the whole way down.
Ok now I'm the one being dense. I'd figured out using the clutches with a shaft junction, but how would you get a multidirectional clutch to switch inputs on redstone instead of outputs?

DepressivesBrot

Jul 29, 2019
You can't iirc, you just review that requirement and work around it. If we're talking about an actual setup rather than 'this could be useful for x' here, then screens would probably help.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You can't iirc, you just review that requirement and work around it. If we're talking about an actual setup rather than 'this could be useful for x' here, then screens would probably help.
I wasn't totally sure you couldn't, but honestly... RoC is for those with an Engineer mindset; no problem remains unsolved because we're all engineers. That means we solve problems.

In fact, let me find that quote. Gonna slap it into the foreword of my sig...

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Ok now I'm the one being dense. I'd figured out using the clutches with a shaft junction, but how would you get a multidirectional clutch to switch inputs on redstone instead of outputs?

Yea, multiple input clutches IS how you switch the input. They do indeed have only 1 input each, and can only toggle the output. Basically, you put them on the input line, and then you are toggling them on/off. ( Well, you could get really technical and redirect them and still put the power in. )

That's why I said if you really wanted to, not "but that would be stupid" :)

However, I disagree that science is about nothing but why. Science is about everything, in every way shape and form.

I find the better question to express engineering is "How?" Of course, "How" and "Why not?" often go together, I just find the how is more to the core of what engineering is. I also think a good one for science is, "Wait...what?"

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
No, Reika, I got rude only after you telling me what should I say and what I shouldn't while ignoring every single argument. Well, ther was another guy, but I apologized for that.
Actually it's you who likes to be a "smartass" and call others stupid or idiots.
Better to be assumed a fool than to open your mouth and prove it......

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
6JMZMDZ.jpg

Rather simple and relatively cheap setup for extractor. Two gearborxes eat lubricant, but it can be avoided with using diamond gearboxes or like.
Now I have to figure how to make non-ugly clock to replace that lever...

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Let me add the axiom of forums politics : when making accusations of someone else, keep in mind their reputation.

@Reika
Description : Mod creator. Very attentive and helpful if you are not rude

Random, Belligerent Poster
Description : Rude to content creators
Reputation : Not very well respected. Pretty much green slime or silverfish level.

Gee, I wonder which one the forum audience is going to side with ?