[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

wes_bruce

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone survived more than 4 days with out a cheat? This is a ferocious mod/map. Can someone demonstrate how the sync thing works? Its doing nothing for me. Can't get the battery to behave.

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
How do you cheat in this thing? :eek: I normally play in peaceful so I'd appreciate knowing how to cheat too? All them mobs at night until you get a bed are so scary.

Pip69

Jul 29, 2019
Simplified version

Day 1:
build wall (with dust) 3 high to give you a courtyard just big enough to grow a tree. Dig some pits 3 deep and / or a trench around wall 2-3 deep.
Spiders are easy to, just watch out for if they're mounted.
After that do the tree thing until next day. Get TiC tables and tools include a pick.

Day 2-4
Get cobblestone for Slab furnace. Expand courtyard to allow for fruit trees, silk trees, and normal tree.

As you get the resources the wall top needs a fence with slab on top. This will keep spiders out.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Simplified version

Day 1:
build wall (with dust) 3 high to give you a courtyard just big enough to grow a tree. Dig some pits 3 deep and / or a trench around wall 2-3 deep.
Spiders are easy to, just watch out for if they're mounted.
After that do the tree thing until next day. Get TiC tables and tools include a pick.

Day 2-4
Get cobblestone for Slab furnace. Expand courtyard to allow for fruit trees, silk trees, and normal tree.

As you get the resources the wall top needs a fence with slab on top. This will keep spiders out.

Not to scare you off, but the following should also be planned for.

There are mobs that will fly other mobs over any wall
There are flying spiders so, you have that.
I've tested it, under even perfect lighting situations, mobs can and will teleport/appear right next to you.

Don't get too comfortable thinking your base is safe.
Don't hang out near your sync shell too much in case a teleporting mob decides to come by for a cup of tea (can't worry about that too much at beginning, but later on when you expand, you'll understand). Think. if you die near your sync shell, you come back at the sync shell, thus, death^2.
Don't listen to the others. get a bed asap and sleep every night just as you see mobs on radar appearing. That way you can still go out and get some goodies during the day. Once you get going tho, you'll not want to sleep anymore so you can do some stuff at night while the mobs bay at the walls awaiting a mistake that will let them in, then during day go out and pick up lots of loot.
Do NOT under any circumstances, start digging anywhere near your walls during the night. hehe ok, I died twice doing that but not everyone's that dumb. oh wait, I think that's a rite of passage. Please, definately go ahead and dig under your walls at night. fun stuff happens. :)

Prepare to die multiple times, but each time you do, don't repeat same mistakes you made in last life.

You'll do fine.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Don't listen to the others. get a bed asap and sleep every night just as you see mobs on radar appearing.

pfft.... beds,.... who needs them? Lets pull up our big boy pants now and deal with a few mobs.

(JK...... kinda)

I am likely, very specifically an other of whom mr. Ds speaks.......

Good luck

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
... oh and if you normally play on peacfull are you sure this is the mod you want to cut your milk teeth on?

I mean, you could always go try Blood and Bones
(The internet needs a sarcasm font)

but seriously, there may be better places to learn basic mob control

Reactions: DoomSquirter

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
pfft.... beds,.... who needs them? Lets pull up our big boy pants now and deal with a few mobs.

(JK...... kinda)

I am likely, very specifically an other of whom mr. Ds speaks.......

Good luck
I died when I had no special mobs no zombie awareness, just vanilla with bloody sprinkles or whatever iskandar had in early versions. Creepers creeping up on me while I crooked trees, zombies following me inside my base w/o me knowing it and blindsiding me. Early days, I died ALOT. This? Oh god... I don't want to know how many times I'd die and retry starting out fresh now (w/o any experiencing doing all the stuff you need to do). oh, and this was when he put an AA (two actually) in the starter chest. so yeah. newb here.

My first death? Death by zombies as they crawled into ship first night and I had put up a door (forethought!) but forgot to close off holes on sides and they just came on in and stayed for a while. died with my finger slipping on my dart gun. yup. good times, good times.

so yeah. bed. use it. when you feel comfortable, don't. This pack is very very hard. not bnb hard, different. Like choosing death by M60 firing squad versus death by grenade launcher firing squad. yeah, even I don't know which pack is which death, but yeah. different. I think the nice thing about this vs. bnb is that once you figure out what you're doing, you don't have to worry about the dreamworld. Just the cities, and the beautiful gorgeous loot. my preccciiiiiooouuusssssssssssss....

Keldin42

Jul 29, 2019
Do NOT under any circumstances, start digging anywhere near your walls during the night. hehe ok, I died twice doing that but not everyone's that dumb. oh wait, I think that's a rite of passage. Please, definately go ahead and dig under your walls at night. fun stuff happens. :)

This!

One of the first things I do when I have a cobble generator set up is pave the bottom of the trench with cobble to prevent digging too far :)

So far I have never had a mob spawn inside my compound *fingers crossed*.

Spiders aren't that big of a deal even the flying one. The ghost ones on the other hand are more of a shock!

Like the poster above, I also spend the first day making a trench and most of the wall.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Lol, yeah.... those dang copper and above shovels that have earned a few levels of haste can be far more dangerous than ANY individual creeper.

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
... oh and if you normally play on peacfull are you sure this is the mod you want to cut your milk teeth on?

I mean, you could always go try Blood and Bones
(The internet needs a sarcasm font)

but seriously, there may be better places to learn basic mob control

I did. It was too scary so now I'm playing this. Besides, I sleep at night and that's almost like playing on peaceful:p

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I died when I had no special mobs no zombie awareness, just vanilla with bloody sprinkles or whatever iskandar had in early versions. Creepers creeping up on me while I crooked trees, zombies following me inside my base w/o me knowing it and blindsiding me. Early days, I died ALOT. This? Oh god... I don't want to know how many times I'd die and retry starting out fresh now (w/o any experiencing doing all the stuff you need to do). oh, and this was when he put an AA (two actually) in the starter chest. so yeah. newb here.

My first death? Death by zombies as they crawled into ship first night and I had put up a door (forethought!) but forgot to close off holes on sides and they just came on in and stayed for a while. died with my finger slipping on my dart gun. yup. good times, good times.

so yeah. bed. use it. when you feel comfortable, don't. This pack is very very hard. not bnb hard, different. Like choosing death by M60 firing squad versus death by grenade launcher firing squad. yeah, even I don't know which pack is which death, but yeah. different. I think the nice thing about this vs. bnb is that once you figure out what you're doing, you don't have to worry about the dreamworld. Just the cities, and the beautiful gorgeous loot. my preccciiiiiooouuusssssssssssss....
The thing that makes this so much easier than Bnb is the fact that so much of this game can be played within a "secure" base. There isn't a lot driving you out and about when you are at your most vulnerable. In Bnb you are forced to be out and about at a VERY early stage..... That said its a rare few who play Bnb in hardcore mode.......

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
This!

One of the first things I do when I have a cobble generator set up is pave the bottom of the trench with cobble to prevent digging too far :)

So far I have never had a mob spawn inside my compound *fingers crossed*.

Spiders aren't that big of a deal even the flying one. The ghost ones on the other hand are more of a shock!

Like the poster above, I also spend the first day making a trench and most of the wall.
what's funny is by the time I get cobblegen going, I've already expanded my walls in all cardinal directions to the point that I don't hear them at night anymore so I never do any paving of the trenches, or anything. I make dust walls and keep dust walls going even if I'm mass producing all ingots/blocks like crazy. I'm a cheap bastard.

As far as the spawning goes, it's anyone's guess why it happens. I think the mobs get po'd and cheat.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I did. It was too scary so now I'm playing this. Besides, I sleep at night and that's almost like playing on peaceful:p
Yes, sleeping on a regular basis really helps control mobs, particularly on a map made completely of gravity affected blocks........ in CL it requires conscious effort to create a dark room.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
what's funny is by the time I get cobblegen going, I've already expanded my walls in all cardinal directions to the point that I don't hear them at night anymore so I never do any paving of the trenches, or anything. I make dust walls and keep dust walls going even if I'm mass producing all ingots/blocks like crazy. I'm a cheap bastard.

As far as the spawning goes, it's anyone's guess why it happens. I think the mobs get po'd and cheat.
I believe that a big part of the reason so many players don't see the "cheaters" is that many if not most of us build bases where the standard player spawn prevention radius protects us. It sounds like you build considerably larger bases. I for instance have only seen what may have been "cheaters" when I spent a night in the far corner of my base.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
I believe that a big part of the reason so many players don't see the "cheaters" is that many if not most of us build bases where the standard player spawn prevention radius protects us. It sounds like you build considerably larger bases. I for instance have only seen what may have been "cheaters" when I spent a night in the far corner of my base.
I started doing that for one reason. budweiser frogs. a couple versions ago, when ZA and special mobs were added as bonus (had to enable to use), the mobs were burping bud-wei-ser to me all night as I sieved. It drove me nuts, so now I always expand to the point where I don't hear them. I don't fill out base with all sort of stuff, but I do use alot of it for smeltery, PC stuff, mob drop, high oven, etc... I used to build up, but after I watched one magzie vid, I started building down as well from base/ship. The exterior perimeter is always just lit, nothing using it. and yeah, I expand LARGE so I have a very large buffer. I keep the old walls so I create doorways to go in/out of areas.

Problem with your theory tho... 2 out of the 5 non test times where mobs showed up, were in my ship. so yeah, that theory. phewwww out the window. One could be a small 1x1 area that wasn't lit. other tho? no way. other 3 times were within 64 blocks from ship and were strange. The testing tho had them all show up outside my inner perimeter, so yeah.

the reason they don't show up for you? They're scared. yup. they sent me an email. you frighten them with your big boy pants and frying pan of hate. they are very worried for you and want you to get help. :)

Reactions: PODonnell

Keldin42

Jul 29, 2019

I do build mostly vertical but my 'ground floor' compound is large enough to support spawning (otherwise the mobs won't spawn in the dark room). I have noticed the odd dark square though using F7, even inside the ship, which I then promply light up.

JohnTzimisces

Jul 29, 2019
I've finally had a "successful" game, but I felt like I had no choice but to disable special mobs just to learn to deal with the environmental concerns.

As for mob management it is potentially as simple as digging out a 5x5x3 pit with a torch or glowstone at the bottom. I'm not quite sure if the mobs are attracted to the light source since its out of LoS but whatever. They wander in, it cuts down on how many are freely walking around during the day. A fenced off entryway means I can poke my head out without dying instantly.

Speaking of glowstone, except for crucibles try and use mostly glowstone; it doesn't give off heat the way a torch does.

As for beds...while in previous games I rushed getting a bed in my most successful one I ignored a bed completely until I started trying to explore. The reason being that it's cold at night, and I can work at night, so I can work and not consume as much water as if I was working in the shade during the day. I probably won't start using beds now, even, because I want zombie meat to compost, and I'm trying to stock up on iron which would otherwise be used constantly shearing trees.

Another important milestone is being able to turn bones into stock. It's not great food but its so easy to get that ingredient that its a real lifesaver, especially if you have spider eyes.

I really love this modpack. I really do feel like I'm eking out an existence, farming MOISTURE haha.

Wazepas1

Jul 29, 2019
As for mob management it is potentially as simple as digging out a 5x5x3 pit with a torch or glowstone at the bottom. I'm not quite sure if the mobs are attracted to the light source since its out of LoS but whatever. They wander in, it cuts down on how many are freely walking around during the day. A fenced off entryway means I can poke my head out without dying instantly.
Zombie scent and light awarneness is disabled...
9b16815240059ea9d7ae7faee4d106e3.png
p.s. i think it would be more realistic if awarness light would be true while sound was off

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
The key to survival is thoroughness and patience. Don't get in an a hurry. Always have an eye on the minimap, before going outside zoom it all the way out so you can check for ghast airdrops. They're the most dangerous thing in the game since they can deliver mobs where otherwise you'd feel perfectly safe because you'd lit every block and had an impenetrable wall/trench combo. Put a guard tower on top of the ship, around 10 blocks high, with a slab roof. Great place to snipe any ghast that shows itself on the minimap. Great place to aggro normal-height endermen so you can kill them from the safety of a 2-block high area. You can even use elevator blocks so you don't have to expose yourself getting into and out of the tower.

Ultimately it will be your mistakes that kill you. Don't make any until you have Sync online. The rest is easy.

Pretty? No. Pretty effective? Yes.
BAtg6X4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pc_assassin