Does anyone know about any mods to increase fps in ftb monster?

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I'm wondering if anyone knows about any mods to increase fps in ftb. I have optifine, and it doesn't really seem to work, although I have more fps then without it. I want to know if there are any mods that I can install unlike fps plus where you need to delete the meta file or whatever. (Edit)
I also should mention I have all my settings for optifine and vanilla all to the lowest setting. I've also messed around with different memory allocations, between 3.25 gigs to 3.75 (my highest)

Last edited:

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like you're already aware of what tweaks you can make to increase performance, so... at this point, it really comes down to two things from my perspective. One, you're using Monster. It's a big pack with lots of overhead. My poor system can't even run it regardless of settings, just too much stuff in it. Two, the only thing I can see that might be able to help would be hardware upgrades at that point.

Only other recourse in my mind is start cutting out mods, minimizing entities and such while active in loaded chunks, etcetera etcetera. All the usual stuff really. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Reactions: Wagon153

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
When I try that the game crashes no matter what. It's only a 4 gig computer so yeah. Needs to be at least 3 gigs for it to launch

That's your problem then. If you only have 4 GB, and 3 of that is dedicated to Java, you aren't leaving enough for everything to function properly, so it now needs to write everything to a temp file, which is much slower. Also, what pack, Java version, OS, and JVM arguments you have will help us quite a bit.

Reactions: Geometry

SirDoctorOfTardis

Jul 29, 2019
You could try getting a hq texture pack. Faithful increased my fps. (Don't know why it does that but whatever works.)

Edit: Padfoote ninja'd me.

bounding star

Jul 29, 2019
make sure your mipmapping is a low as possible. it says it shouldn't have an effect on performance, but i got a hundred fps increase from turning it off.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
That's your problem then. If you only have 4 GB, and 3 of that is dedicated to Java, you aren't leaving enough for everything to function properly, so it now needs to write everything to a temp file, which is much slower. Also, what pack, Java version, OS, and JVM arguments you have will help us quite a bit.
Java 7 64 bit, ftb monster. I'll find the rest later, I'll edit this post. And ik if I dedicate 3 gigs to Java it won't run things faster in the background, but then how do I run monster? It's sort of like I run it and have everything be slow or don't run it..?

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Java 7 64 bit, ftb monster. I'll find the rest later, I'll edit this post. And ik if I dedicate 3 gigs to Java it won't run things faster in the background, but then how do I run monster? It's sort of like I run it and have everything be slow or don't run it..?

3gb out of 4gb allocated? I played my private modded monster pack with some extra mods i added and now ended up with 230 total mods and i just allocated 2gb ram out of 4gb in my laptop. Using optifine and i still get 60+fps with optifine installed.

Try lowering the allocated ram to 2gb maybe? Since monster didn't need that many ram. It will cripple your os with only 1gb of ram left. And maybe close other running program?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
3gb out of 4gb allocated? I played my private modded monster pack with some extra mods i added and now ended up with 230 total mods and i just allocated 2gb ram out of 4gb in my laptop. Using optifine and i still get 60+fps with optifine installed.

Try lowering the allocated ram to 2gb maybe? Since monster didn't need that many ram. It will cripple your os with only 1gb of ram left. And maybe close other running program?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I've just started up monster with 2 gigs. I'll say if something is better or worse performence wise

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I've just started up monster with 2 gigs. I'll say if something is better or worse performence wise

This should help. Having to use a swapfile is, pardon the expression, the quickest way to slow down a Windows system if not bring it to a screeching halt. If you are using Windows 7 or 8 you should be good with 1.5GB left for the O.S. as long as you're not trying to run anything else simultaneously. 64 bit XP and Vista require about 2GB.

Another thing that helped me on my 4GB laptop with Win7 was the use of Speedboost. This basically uses flash ram (micro/SD card, XD, etc.) as the location of the swapfile instead of the hard disk because the flash is faster, at least if you have a dedicated flash slot or at least USB 2.0 ports and a newer flash card. I have yet to find a thumb drive that works, however.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
When I use 2 gigs I can barely move[DOUBLEPOST=1408038634][/DOUBLEPOST]I can move and stuff but at a very slow speed

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Are you trying to use a texture pack as well? Because I can boot and play Monster without issue with 2 GB allocated.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Go into the Java console and set the Java cashe too 2GB set the FTB allocations too 2GB. Last but not least move to a smaller mod pack if you can. The redundancies of monster puts a strain on your system that doesn't need to be there.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
MC settings?
All lowest, no smooth lighting, tiny render distance, all optifine settings to lowest setting[DOUBLEPOST=1408054999][/DOUBLEPOST]
Go into the Java console and set the Java cashe too 2GB set the FTB allocations too 2GB. Last but not least move to a smaller mod pack if you can. The redundancies of monster puts a strain on your system that doesn't need to be there.
How do I access the java console?

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
You could try getting a hq texture pack. Faithful increased my fps. (Don't know why it does that but whatever works.)

Edit: Padfoote ninja'd me.

Well that sure is an unintended side effect, glad I could help. You got averages proofing that? Not saying your wrong, just saying I have no idea why the pack would improve FPS. If anything it should tank FPS on computers with very small VRAM.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Well that sure is an unintended side effect, glad I could help. You got averages proofing that? Not saying your wrong, just saying I have no idea why the pack would improve FPS. If anything it should tank FPS on computers with very small VRAM.

I can confirm it happens. I saw a 5-10 FPS increase when I started using Soartex. This was on a computer with only 4 GB of RAM, 2.5 of which was dedicated to FTB.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I can confirm it happens. I saw a 5-10 FPS increase when I started using Soartex. This was on a computer with only 4 GB of RAM, 2.5 of which was dedicated to FTB.
A couple days ago, I tried soartex and faithful separately on 2.5 gigs and 3.75. Crashed on start up each time. I'll try again later