MYSTCRAFT -- In a nutshell

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Okay here we go. Take notes.

Getting Started:
1. Make a paper factory. This is done with the RP2 and BC3 mods. Have block breakers set to break the second block of a sugarcane plant. Do this with several plants. The more the merrier. Pipe them into a chest with the RP2 tubes which will act as your buffer. No need to get fancy with Iron Chest or +. Pipe them from that chest into an automatic crafting table and set it to make paper. Pipe that into a second chest to buffer once more, or alternatively, pipe it into your first buffer and have a filter set to pump out only paper. Either way, pump out the paper using a transposer/filter and red power tubes into your storage chest. I'd suggest Iron or Higher in case you leave your world on a server and you have a chunk loader.
2. Breed Cows. Using the *Feeding Station from RailCraft will allow you to breed and harvest leather from cows. To my knowledge you only need 1 per book, so using a looting enchanted weapon would be best for higher output.

Congratulations, you now have the necessities to make linking books.

3. Breed Chickens. Get those feathers!

Congratulations, you can now make descriptive books.

These two book kinds will be your best friends for traversing through Mystcraft Ages.

Crafting:
Linking Book = Single Book in the crafting grid
Descriptive Book = Single Book with Feather in the crafting grid.
Dafuq did I just make?:
Linking Book = A linking book basically takes down your co-ordinates you are standing on upon making the book. You can also use this to teleport to that particular spot from another dimension. Intradimensional Teleportation does not work. These will be used to get home from teleporting to ages!
Descriptive Books = These create a dimension similarly to how a nether portal generates the nether upon entering it. The difference is an Age (the created dimension) is similar to the overworld (Where you spawned into when first spawning) in that it uses the same type of world generation, only biomes/generation patterns/weather/etc are dictated randomly by the contents of the descriptive book you use to teleport. (NOTE:You won't know what you get until you teleport into the age)

Time for some big letters.​
DO NOT -- I repeat -- DO NOT! Leave the overworld without linking books to take you back. You will be STUCK in your age.

So, you've discovered how to teleport back and forth through worlds... But how is this useful?
Good Question -- Did you know you can make your own worlds?

1. Got Ink? -- Kill those squids! You only need 1 ink for this!
2. Got Wood?
3. Get Feathers.

Now here's the recipe. In a crafting table, put an ink sac on the top left and a feather on the top right.
Now fill the middle row horizonally with wood.
Now put another piece of wood on the bottom right and the bottom left.

Oh look! You made a crafting table! Place it. It's just like a block that takes up two spaces.

4. Grab pieces of paper and fill your crafting table grid with them. Think of it as making an iron block with paper.

Now you have a notebook! This is used to document your findings throughout your trans-dimensional adventure!
Open up your Writing Desk's GUI by right clicking the desk. There will be a slot on the left for your notebook, once it's in you're ready to leeeeearn!

Now, I hope you've been saving those descriptive books you've been teleporting with! Place each one you've used into the second slot. Notice a bunch of funny symbols on the left? Those represent the different characteristics of your generated dimension. And guess what? If you're using the MoreBiomesXL mod, there's a character for them too!

So you've learned all those cool, funky symbols... What now?
Simple!

Put a blank descriptive book into the slot where you would normally put a used one. (A blank one is a book you haven't teleported with yet)

Now you can pick and mix by clicking on the symbols on the left to create your ideal dimension! Isn't that lovely?! HM?!

Okay, I've made my dimension and it's awesome... I still don't see how this helps me!
Well, this is where the other mods come in handy...

Through your transdimensional exploration, you may have noticed that a new type of block is generated... They're called Crystals and it would be VERY handle to pick them up because you can use them to makePortals.

Here's how...

1. Put into your mind for a moment the Nether Portal. It's rectangular and has a hollow middle where you step in. Now make one with the crystals.
  2. Do the same thing again nearby where you want your first portal to go. This will be your way back, however this isn't totally necessary.
  3. Make a book receptical. This is done by outlining in a crafting table grid a box with crystals. Think of it as if you were making a chest with wood planks. Make two if you plan to have a second portal.
  4. Make Linking Books that will anchor to where you'd like your portal to take you. Again, make two with one taking you back if you have a second portal.
  5. Place the book receptical upon one of the crystal blocks that outline your portal. Here's an example: [x] Again, do this with both portals if you have two.
  6. Now place the linking book which is anchored to where you want to go into the receptical.
You should now notice the hollow center of your portal is glowing! Climbing into it will take you to the Linking Book's anchor. If you do this with both portals, you can use the second to take you back!

Wow! Awesome! But how does this effect the other mods and how can I harvest this plentiful dimension?
Well that's up to your imagination. There are several ways to do it, but here's some interesting things to remember.

• Entities, such as mobs/carts/drops/players and projectiles can pass through portals. You could potentially use a chest or tank cart to take things from one portal to the next.
  • Having a Linking Book anchor on a space taken by a rail or any other block/item that you can walk through will place you on that space without being put on top of it. You could have tanks teleport directly onto rails and loaders/unloaders.
  • You can have portals take you to and from the Overworld/Nether/End/Twilight Forest/Ages with no problems. I used a tank cart to draw lava from the nether to use for power.
  • World Anchors, Chunk Loaders and similar work in all dimensions. You can leave quarries/pumps/etc to work over time without having to be there in person.
  • Ender Chests are reported to also work in all dimensions however this is not confirmed
This seems too good to be true, but are there any downsides?
Very few.

The biggest thing you have to worry about is decay. This is the sign of an unstable world and can potentially make your life hell. Read more in the wiki page provided.
Also, most ages you will come across will inflict you with a random debuff, usually this takes the form of mining fatique but at worst it can cause Nausea and even Severe Hunger. There is a high risk of DEATH. So take care when teleporting!

Anything else I should be aware of?
  • Look out for worlds with dense ores. These are good for quarrying but will always be **unstable.
  • Be careful of Hell Biomes*** which can spawn Ghasts.
  • Always carry Linking Books home.
  • Mystcraft Portals can be almost any shape within reason so long as you can attach a book receptical to it.
Enjoy the world of Mystcraft!
* - Thanks to harley032707 for the Feeding Station tip.
** - Thanks to Pokefan151 for pointing that out.
*** - Hell Biome is a Mystcraft only biome that spawns nether mobs in an Overworld Biome with yellowish grass. Thanks to Hrulgin for pointing that out.

Hrulgin

Jul 29, 2019
Nicely done. One small detail: the biome that mimics the Nether spawns is actually called the Hell biome in the notebook.

Pokefan151

Jul 29, 2019
I want one of these "in a nutshell" topics for every mod in the pack, but that is probably never going to happen.
You also forgot that dense ores adds instability every time. Not just figuratively either, but literally every single time.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
I want one of these "in a nutshell" topics for every mod in the pack, but that is probably never going to happen.
You also forgot that dense ores adds instability every time. Not just figuratively either, but literally every single time.
Ammended.
I think these type of threads would become small to epic novels for a great many of the mods in the modpack. I don't think anyone has the time for all that.

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
So if I ever get around playing MC again, it's either reading OP's post, or watching DW's spotlight of the mod...
Hmm... tough call.

Wabbit's post is much more fun to read than to follow DW's videos. Gotta admit that :)

Ldog

Jul 29, 2019
"Interdimensional Teleportation does not work"
That should be intradimensional.
Nice quickstarter.

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019

It looks like that's what the Wiki team is working on. I understand them locking down the edit team to just a few members, but it is making the new content show up really slowly.

harley032707

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if there's a machine/mod that already does this, but breed cows and harvest their leather. To my knowledge you only need 1 per book, so using a looting enchanted weapon would be best for higher output.

There is a machine in the pack that allows that..it is the feed station from Rail craft

feed_station.png

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: un worry

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
and... how do you install it in the mindcrack pack? it crashes using the dw pack forge and also latest...

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Linking Book = A linking book basically takes down your co-ordinates you are standing on upon making the book. You can also use this to teleport to that particular spot from another dimension. Intradimensional Teleportation does not work. These will be used to get home from teleporting to ages!

Aren't there "Link Modifiers" that allow you to do this?
If I recall correctly, they allow you Intradimentional teleporting, along other things for Linking books and Descriptive books.
(Like disarming the player, maintaining momentum and make it so they don't fall when you go to a different age.)

Also a slightly unrelated question, anybody know what happens to a dimension you lose all contact with?
Say I make dimension 3, then go back to the Overworld and destroy the book to Dimension 3...what happens to it?

I know you can't get back to it, but like does it just stay there just wasting memory in a corner of your computer forever or what?'

arthahar

Oct 31, 2012
I think currently it will exist in world save directory until you manually delete it.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Aren't there "Link Modifiers" that allow you to do this?
If I recall correctly, they allow you Intradimentional teleporting, along other things for Linking books and Descriptive books.
(Like disarming the player, maintaining momentum and make it so they don't fall when you go to a different age.)

Also a slightly unrelated question, anybody know what happens to a dimension you lose all contact with?
Say I make dimension 3, then go back to the Overworld and destroy the book to Dimension 3...what happens to it?

I know you can't get back to it, but like does it just stay there just wasting memory in a corner of your computer forever or what?'
I'm not sure about a Link Modifier, I've never needed to look into it personally. I'll look it up tomorrow.

As for out-of-touch dimensions I believe that unless you've placed a chunkloader into it, it won't take up any memory, if I'm wrong however you can always find the dimension's files in your map's folder within the appdata and delete it.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Re-read the writing desk part. You say crafting table instead of writing desk a few times.