[1.6.4]Crash Landing [Hardcore, HQM] version 1.1.x BETA STABLE

Shin Sekai

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I already made that argument about soybeans. I feel they are too OP as well, but everyone likes their soybeans. I also think the vanilla recipe for bread should be removed too (three wheat on a crafting table) cause I feel you should have to make dough with water and smelt it into bread. Again, just my opinion probably. I personally forbid myself from using vanilla wheat in my world. It's just too cheap.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, soybeans are far to cheap, I'd nix spuds, carrots and soybeans myself. I could see them all being added back by another method, but they are far too easy to get early game.

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, soybeans are far to cheap, I'd nix spuds, carrots and soybeans myself. I could see them all being added back by another method, but they are far too easy to get early game.
its not just about ease of getting food because there is so much food available that food just isnt a problem its about thinking out side the box and doing things differently. Everybody that has played moded minecraft knows that if you do A,B,C then your set without worry but what if you dont have A,B,C then you have to think about what to do and thats the point of this pack

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know about Pam's foods, but carrots and potatoes can be composted. I've gotten plenty of dirt without using the iron for shears by using a watering can on a 3x3 field of carrots in Agrarian Skies. Pam's plants drop fewer vegetables when harvested even if they can be composted.

DragooKnight

Jul 29, 2019
Iskander, whats your thoughts on adding a sleep mod that players can use to sleep through the day and work through the night? The trade off being, of course, that you have to deal with monsters all the time, in return for the 5% hydration efficiency.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Iskander, whats your thoughts on adding a sleep mod that players can use to sleep through the day and work through the night? The trade off being, of course, that you have to deal with monsters all the time, in return for the 5% hydration efficiency.

That's a good idea. In reality you would want to sleep through the day in a desert.[DOUBLEPOST=1407484911][/DOUBLEPOST]
can someone please give me the link to the map download cant find it anywhere

No link just start a new game and it will auto generate for you.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
How about you just don't use them then...

Why does this community like to sit there and yell NERF at everything?

Do you have to use them just because they are there? If not does someone else using them affect you? The correct answer to both is no.

Well then why not just put on cheat mode and have every plant I could ever want? That also does not affect anyone else. But when as a community we discuss pack balance we're discussing where to set the bar as to challenge. Obviously I want the bar set far higher than do you.

Regarding the community yelling "nerf" as you put it...... I tend to see the exact opposite. I've seen a heck of a lot of posts whining about the grind, and peoples dissatisfaction with various mods. In fact, I believe I'm the only voice pretty uniformly calling for iskandar to maintain or increase the difficulty level.

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
Well then why not just put on cheat mode and have every plant I could ever want? That also does not affect anyone else. But when as a community we discuss pack balance we're discussing where to set the bar as to challenge. Obviously I want the bar set far higher than do you.

Regarding the community yelling "nerf" as you put it...... I tend to see the exact opposite. I've seen a heck of a lot of posts whining about the grind, and peoples dissatisfaction with various mods. In fact, I believe I'm the only voice pretty uniformly calling for iskandar to maintain or increase the difficulty level.
Then you'll probably approve of my latest change to the configs?

Health regeneration scaling based on current health was set to 5. This is ridiculously high. I reset it to 1, and to compensate I reduced all healing by 98%. Now I really hate when I get a 'little' spider bite while working outdoors at night. >:]

Reactions: PODonnell

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Then you'll probably approve of my latest change to the configs?

Health regeneration scaling based on current health was set to 5. This is ridiculously high. I reset it to 1, and to compensate I reduced all healing by 98%. Now I really hate when I get a 'little' spider bite while working outdoors at night. >:]
*applauds* That's what I like to hear. I personally miss the Blood and bones functionality where you can ONLY heal by eating and then only in relatively small amounts. That really make you play cautiously. I should see if I can figure out how to do that myself.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

The problem is that we aren't talking challenge. Not really. Challenge is the difficulty in doing the task. In a pack like this nerf can equal not challenge, but impossibility. The harder it gets, the less people will be able to play it at all.

So why don't we stop talking about nerf and try remembering that the pack has easy and hard mods. We can use that as the basis of balancing.

Genshou

Jul 29, 2019
The problem here is that there are differing opinions on whether these foods are a problem. I'm in the camp that believes food is so easy to begin with, there's no real reason to do so in terms of game balance. Rice and soybeans are already our miracle crops, and have you looked at the options that grapes enable?

Part of the problem, I think, is that Iskandar is under the impression (possibly illusion) that many players will stick with these familiar crops instead of trying to find alternatives. But I don't see it that way. Playing with HarvestCraft, Hunger Overhaul, and Spice of Life encourages players to seek out ever larger meals, and that means exploration of new crops regardless of what we start with as our staple.[DOUBLEPOST=1407498447][/DOUBLEPOST]
*applauds* That's what I like to hear. I personally miss the Blood and bones functionality where you can ONLY heal by eating and then only in relatively small amounts. That really make you play cautiously. I should see if I can figure out how to do that myself.
Health regeneration rate is in Hunger Overhaul's config. Be sure to change the scaling multiplier from 5 back to 1 if you don't want to be rendered unable to break any blocks or interact with things for a good 90+ minutes at 1 heart or less.

Edit: Oh, did you mean the Blood and Bones way? You can make food restore health using Hunger Overhaul, I think you can tweak the amount, too. Not sure if that's how they did it in that pack, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Methusalem

tetshio

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Oh, did you mean the Blood and Bones way? You can make food restore health using Hunger Overhaul, I think you can tweak the amount, too. Not sure if that's how they did it in that pack, though.

Health regen was disabled regardless if the saturation/hunger was full in B&B. Only way to regen health was eating mid level foods (forgot what tier juices were but they regen half a heart while foods higher in tier regen 1 or more hearts.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019

There is no challenge when it comes to food. Not with Rice and Grapes available very early as quest rewards and seeds as by-product from sifting dirt. With Zombie Awareness gone in 1.1.2 you will probably cook your large meals before the first carrot or potato would have dropped from a zombie.

And you can get every plant you want by using a hoe/mattock on grass, it doesn't even take that long. No cheat mode required.

GriefingAssassin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand this logic. With the hunger overhaul, carrots and potatoes are pretty bad food. Even cooked potatoes are pretty bad. The only saving grace I suppose is that you get many of them when a plant matures. They also have multiple maturity stages, so they're harder to bonemeal up than Pam's food.

Frankly, if anything, soybeans are easily the best food crop to get. You can make a heap of different meals with them. I seem to recall that with just Soybeans, Rice and Water, that there are something like 4-5 different meals you can make. Probably more than that to be honest. I'd remove them before I removed anything else.
With just soybeans you can make a soup pretty early that heals 2 hunger. I usually shoot for soybeans when I plan on farming :D

Palindrome

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with opening the pack. It was working fine earlier, and I didn't do anything beyond moving a save file folder to it, but now when I try to open it up from the launcher it just doesn't do anything. All the other packs open fine, but crash landing goes grey like it's trying to launch, and then stops being grey and the launcher stays there.

I've tried re-downloading the pack and restarting, no dice.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Edit: Fixed! Turns out it was an issue with using jre8 instead of jre7. I changed the java path that the launcher uses and it started working again.

Last edited:

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with opening the pack. It was working fine earlier, and I didn't do anything beyond moving a save file folder to it, but now when I try to open it up from the launcher it just doesn't do anything. All the other packs open fine, but crash landing goes grey like it's trying to launch, and then stops being grey and the launcher stays there.

I've tried re-downloading the pack and restarting, no dice.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

I have with the horizons pack and I don't know how to fix it

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
The problem here is that there are differing opinions on whether these foods are a problem. I'm in the camp that believes food is so easy to begin with, there's no real reason to do so in terms of game balance. Rice and soybeans are already our miracle crops, and have you looked at the options that grapes enable?

Part of the problem, I think, is that Iskandar is under the impression (possibly illusion) that many players will stick with these familiar crops instead of trying to find alternatives. But I don't see it that way. Playing with HarvestCraft, Hunger Overhaul, and Spice of Life encourages players to seek out ever larger meals, and that means exploration of new crops regardless of what we start with as our staple.[DOUBLEPOST=1407498447][/DOUBLEPOST]
Health regeneration rate is in Hunger Overhaul's config. Be sure to change the scaling multiplier from 5 back to 1 if you don't want to be rendered unable to break any blocks or interact with things for a good 90+ minutes at 1 heart or less.

Thanks, I'll have to mess with the settings next time I play. I like both methods, though I do lean more toward the BnB methodology.

Fyi in Bnb there is no natural regen and food heals half a heart for every full haunch of hunger it restores. It'd be especially evil in crash landing where you don't have early access to easily juiced crops.

Last edited:

Remliel

Jul 29, 2019
Look, there's a fine line between 'good challenge' and just tedium. Dealing with ensuring you have consistent food and water supplies takes up a good amount of time already, leaving little time to actually make forward progress. I'm currently in a holding pattern trying to get enough iron to make my first Pressure Chamber as it is, generally having to spend 50 percent of my time doing maintenance on my food and water supplies while the other 50 percent is farming up the, ah, 48 or so iron bars (not counting the loss on conversion to Compressed Iron as well as the need to spend some on shears for efficient water/dirt creation).

Complaining that soybeans (or other food items) are OP seems just... excessive. There's a limit to how much arbitrary challenge you can pile on before something becomes more of an exercise in masochism than a valid challenge.

Besides, you can't claim the pack is about thinking outside the box when /everything requires you to learn PneumaticCraft/. More like it's about 'thinking inside the pressurized box and praying it doesn't explode and ruin a few hours of iron farming'.