Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
So how much ram do you suggest me to allocate? 2gb sounds right / 1.5gb?

Well I am playing SSP that is why I allocate that much ram though I thought it could help the lag spike because I assume lag spike happens when there is not enough allocated ram

When you allocate too much ram for Java/MC you essentially starve Windows of operating headspace... Windows 7/8/Vista needs 1-1.5GB or it has to start doing it's work in small pieces. This causes programs to have to load in chunks that fit in the remaining space, working on those chunks and saving the results to the disk's "swapfile" while grabbing a fresh chunk to work on and sometimes having to swap chunks from the swapfile if the data interacts.

This slows down the execution of the program considerably the more it has to read and write to the disk until you get to a point where the system is constantly running the disk to the exclusion of everything else, hence lag.

Another thing that happens is that the internal "Garbage Collection" function of Java (generally cleaning up ram for reuse after the application finishes with it) can only operate efficiently with so much ram... I've heard that the limit is right around 4GB.

Bedebao

Jul 29, 2019
Why did some files in the Gregtech configuration disappear? Stuff like recipes.cfg and some lines in gregtech.cfg are gone, and I'm starting to wonder if this is normal, because there was no reason to remove those.

I am using 4.08s for 1.6.4.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Why did some files in the Gregtech configuration disappear? Stuff like recipes.cfg and some lines in gregtech.cfg are gone, and I'm starting to wonder if this is normal, because there was no reason to remove those.

I am using 4.08s for 1.6.4.
Everything is in one place now (named dynamicconfig.cfg or something similar)

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
How can I prevent the farm animals from escaping? I see that they escape quite often through regular fences. Is there a better option?

firebreaker2262

Jul 29, 2019
How can I prevent the farm animals from escaping? I see that they escape quite often through regular fences. Is there a better option?
What animals are are you talking about?
When you allocate too much ram for Java/MC you essentially starve Windows of operating headspace... Windows 7/8/Vista needs 1-1.5GB or it has to start doing it's work in small pieces. This causes programs to have to load in chunks that fit in the remaining space, working on those chunks and saving the results to the disk's "swapfile" while grabbing a fresh chunk to work on and sometimes having to swap chunks from the swapfile if the data interacts.

This slows down the execution of the program considerably the more it has to read and write to the disk until you get to a point where the system is constantly running the disk to the exclusion of everything else, hence lag.

Another thing that happens is that the internal "Garbage Collection" function of Java (generally cleaning up ram for reuse after the application finishes with it) can only operate efficiently with so much ram... I've heard that the limit is right around 4GB.
The only problem is not having enough RAM causes your memory to run out on your Java I found the right around 2.25-5 if you got enough is the minimal you can run techworld 2 properly

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
There are tons of ways. There are rituals from both Witchery and Blood Magic, along with blocks from Thaumcraft and various devices from several other mods that I'm not thinking of right now.

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
There are tons of ways. There are rituals from both Witchery and Blood Magic, along with blocks from Thaumcraft and various devices from several other mods that I'm not thinking of right now.
k
I am pretty advanced in Thaumcraft right now, so those blocks would be useful. How are these blocks called?

How many?
Sometimes if you get too many of them in the pen they glitch out side of the fence
They glitch even if they are few. I once had 2 pigs in a 5 by 5 fenced area, and they still escaped.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Okay, thank you. I have that researched, but didn't know I could use it that way :)

As a warning, it is still possible for animals to glitch through the barrier (that's a problem in MC and how it loads). To help reduce the chances of this happening, make sure to build the pen away from the edge of chunks.

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
I would take land clearing over dealing with building over an ocean any day, but that's just me.
i've been playing allot of blood and bones recently.... ocean builds are my friend..... though generally closer to shore than the OP would want. In a "normal" pack I wouldn't think an ocean build would be an issue for most players.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
As a warning, it is still possible for animals to glitch through the barrier (that's a problem in MC and how it loads). To help reduce the chances of this happening, make sure to build the pen away from the edge of chunks.
In my personal experience, the majority of the glitching happens when baby animals are getting pushed into walls by other animals and then just at that time grows into a mature animal. When this happens it is like the location of the animal resets and it just looks for a new free nearby location which is in most situations outside the fence/walls.

Using full blocks(not fences etc) to build walls helps a tiny bit. They have to be pushed really far into the block to glitch out on the other side. But it doesn't eliminate it. Considered using some magnetic thingy(Think there is one from TT) to pull the mobs towards to middle of the room next time I build an automated farm. Hope that helps.[DOUBLEPOST=1406045315][/DOUBLEPOST]
Beeswax ? With the Bees mod right ? Planned to dig it since Ultimate. Plus with the wasps in the Nether with Biome'o'Plenty's generation makes me want to build an army to counter them.
About this : what is Honey in the Nether is useful for ?
Yeah Bee keeping from Forestry/ExB/MB etc. Many bees produce Beeswax which can be used for a few thing like Pipe Sealant.

The BoP nether wasps/bees/whatever are really something entirely different. Atm I have never seen a use for any of the parts of the hives(honey etc).

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, in BnB carrying enough material for a platform can be problematic in the early game, but then all you really "must" have is enough for a cobble generator.

In a "normal" pack though I don't see an issue.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
In my personal experience, the majority of the glitching happens when baby animals are getting pushed into walls by other animals and then just at that time grows into a mature animal. When this happens it is like the location of the animal resets and it just looks for a new free nearby location which is in most situations outside the fence/walls.

Using full blocks(not fences etc) to build walls helps a tiny bit. They have to be pushed really far into the block to glitch out on the other side. But it doesn't eliminate it. Considered using some magnetic thingy(Think there is one from TT) to pull the mobs towards to middle of the room next time I build an automated farm. Hope that helps.

I tend to have it happen when a chunk gets loaded. I believe there were a few people in the BTW community who tracked it down to how things are loaded on chunk load. Apparently, animals are loaded before the blocks are in a chunk and they tend to have their coordinates shifted for some reason, often causing them to either escape their pen or die in the walls. That's one of the reasons golems tend to disappear.

Dreamer1986

Jun 13, 2014
Good to know, thank you :)

Using full blocks(not fences etc) to build walls helps a tiny bit. They have to be pushed really far into the block to glitch out on the other side. But it doesn't eliminate it. Considered using some magnetic thingy(Think there is one from TT) to pull the mobs towards to middle of the room next time I build an automated farm. Hope that helps.

It helps, thanks. Too bad I already created a stack of paving stone of warding.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
It helps, thanks. Too bad I already created a stack of paving stone of warding.
I would still try and place paving stones under the walls, despite having built them out of full sized blocks, were I to make a animal pen right now. It might help a bit on the stupidity of all the animals in the entire pen trying to occupy the same corner. You could possible also devide the pen up using the paving stones somehow.