Yogscast on FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ollie299792458

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly, I don't want a bunch of ten year olds coming here and asking how to make a macerator. If you've ever been on a tekkit server, that's what it is.
I go on Tekkit servers just for that humor, but not al Tekkit players are bad, also you can just ignore the questions and then they disapear

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
BtW incident?
BtW = Better than wolves, a wide-ranging mod that changes the core of MC gameplay. Its incompatible with everything, which i understand is by design, due to the mod author's falling out with tekkit, and their liberal interperetation of "distribution rights". From what i hear, the fallout from BtW was worse than sengir's exploding bees, and tekkits community basically cast BtW's author as a huge asshat who caused the whole thing.

This thread is far from what I thought these forums were like before I read it. Some of the posters in this thread make the the FtB community out to be very arrogant and elitist. I am not a fan of people complaining about mods etc but I am less of a fan of people thinking they are better then someone else because they play a different mod pack. A secret club called 'no dogs allowed' seems school playground stuff.
Your first error was taking anything i say seriously. I am a bastion of lies and insinuations.
However, don't take anything i said as implication that i fear the yogscast following. I think they're fervent-yet-agreeable individuals. It's the fallout from the tekkit forums that i'm more worried about. Having to dive into that caustic cesspool for even basic server administration assistance is harrowing, to say the least. The holier-than-thou attitude taken on by tekkit's moderating staff has geared their community to (in general) act similarly, and as such, any questions that the community deems "too obvious" are punished, most commonly through the use of the "stupid newbie" forum rank, which comes with an irreversible photo and title change, marking you as "helen keller", until some mod deems you fit to return to the surface world, a process that i understand can take months.

What i don't want to see, is people bringing the "Punish those too stupid to google" attitude anywhere outside of those forums, be it FTB, or otherwise.

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
BtW = Better than wolves, a wide-ranging mod that changes the core of MC gameplay. Its incompatible with everything, which i understand is by design, due to the mod author's falling out with tekkit, and their liberal interperetation of "distribution rights". From what i hear, the fallout from BtW was worse than sengir's exploding bees, and tekkits community basically cast BtW's author as a huge asshat who caused the whole thing.
Just a correction, FlowerChild had a falling out with Forge and Eloraam way before any tekkit issues, that's the reason why his mod is incompatible with everything.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
To be fair, FC is quite the dramatic individual who is prone to outbursts of extreme immaturity and pretty much *is* a huge asshat (see also some of his comments to Eloraam, much less the rest of the Forge crew), however that's completely incidental to the BTW vs Technic debacle in which he did have a point about distribution without mod author permission even if he went about expressing his disdain poorly.

Your first error was taking anything i say seriously. I am a bastion of lies and insinuations.
However, don't take anything i said as implication that i fear the yogscast following. I think they're fervent-yet-agreeable individuals. It's the fallout from the tekkit forums that i'm more worried about. Having to dive into that caustic cesspool for even basic server administration assistance is harrowing, to say the least. The holier-than-thou attitude taken on by tekkit's moderating staff has geared their community to (in general) act similarly, and as such, any questions that the community deems "too obvious" are punished, most commonly through the use of the "stupid newbie" forum rank, which comes with an irreversible photo and title change, marking you as "helen keller", until some mod deems you fit to return to the surface world, a process that i understand can take months.

What i don't want to see, is people bringing the "Punish those too stupid to google" attitude anywhere outside of those forums, be it FTB, or otherwise.
Fortunately, the moderators here are significantly more mature and will not allow such a thing to occur.

Granted, reading the readmes will still solve about 90% of people's problems, and it can get somewhat exasperating to people who spent a good half hour writing them so people can take thirty seconds to read them and not HAVE to make yet-another-oh-gods-not-again post asking the same question... however this does not in any way excuse the immaturity and politically incorrect actions of the Technic Forum Moderators. I mean, come on... using Hellen Keller as a mark of shame? Can you possibly get any ruder? If you absolutely had to have the maturity of an elementary school bully and 'mark' someone's account arbitrarily, the phrase 'blind idiot' would work just as well without the additional layer of insulting someone who had to work ten times as hard just to be able to communicate basic concepts.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
Fortunately, the moderators here are significantly more mature and will not allow such a thing to occur.

Granted, reading the readmes will still solve about 90% of people's problems, and it can get somewhat exasperating to people who spent a good half hour writing them
The first point is certainly true, albeit that the initial transition could potentially be a bit rough regardless.

Secondly, i'd personally rather have repetitive questions than egotistical asshattery; At the very worst, it'd mean a lot more mod responses to the tune of "It's in the stickies, thread locked".

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The first point is certainly true, albeit that the initial transition could potentially be a bit rough regardless.

Secondly, i'd personally rather have repetitive questions than egotistical asshattery; At the very worst, it'd mean a lot more mod responses to the tune of "It's in the stickies, thread locked".
Precisely. That's a more mature way to handle the situation.

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, don't worry. Direct them to wikis, answer more complicated questions, ignore whining, don't flame.

It's not that hard. We want more people, it's good for the FTB community. It's not like they are going to take over the site.

Reactions: Martz

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, don't worry. Direct them to wikis, answer more complicated questions, ignore whining, don't flame.

It's not that hard. We want more people, it's good for the FTB community. It's not like they are going to take over the site.
I don't know about that, it's still an absolutely massive increase in people, sure, we want more people, but that many all at one time, with a bunch probably yelling "Tekkit copy!"?

Reactions: Confidential1207

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know about that, it's still an absolutely massive increase in people, sure, we want more people, but that many all at one time, with a bunch probably yelling "Tekkit copy!"?
And then they get warned for breaking the rule that will be put in place forbidding talking about tekkit. If they keep it up, they get banned.

Simple.

We won't let the trolls win.

Reactions: Zmaster27

Calranthe

Jul 29, 2019
I was a tekkit server admin and running that server was fun, we did crazy things and in the end we became so bored because of the lack of challenge and updates we chain nuked the entire world slowly, we never bothered with anything like efficiency or planning and the condenser full of diamonds was crazy fun.

FTB has been a large shock to the system especially because I decided in my wisdom to setup a mindcrack server "wth happened to my water strainers! and who went all evil on my recipes".

I will probably get shouted at for this but I have no idea about whatever map people keep talking about, I read a negative comment on a yogcast from someone saying that FTB was better, so decided to check it out BTW 42 years old here, wife is 36 and listening to yogcast was a bit of fun minecraft for us was a break from the admin/stress of running a mud for the last 15 years its fifth revision in to a java/mysql hybrid real time system. so we really do not fit into the "14 year old yogcast listener"

What we found in FTB and the community was a breath of fresh air, okay more like an arctic blast with our first experience being mindcrack but now as the three people on our server start out we are actually having to think about what we do and work together learning and even though I have not had time to figure out what this map people talk about is we are very appreciative of what FTB allows us to do.

Yes I will be toning down the gregtech recipe system and I hope to get Mo creatures and mystcraft installed but I could not go back to doing a tekkit server.

Charcharmunro

Jul 29, 2019
I'd just like to point out a little thing here regarding the Technic Forums' "Hellen Keller" status. I think it's more meant to mean "Hellen Keller learned to read and write, why can't you?"
I think. Don't quote me, it's been ages since I've been there.

nevakanezah

Jul 29, 2019
And then they get warned for breaking the rule that will be put in place forbidding talking about tekkit. If they keep it up, they get banned.
One of slow's last streams included him mentioning that he won't continue the "no mention of the T word" policy, as they were changing their ways for the better, and he had no problems with them so long as they weren't claiming other people's credit.
I'd just like to point out a little thing here regarding the Technic Forums' "Hellen Keller" status. I think it's more meant to mean "Hellen Keller learned to read and write, why can't you?"
I think. Don't quote me, it's been ages since I've been there.
Possibly, it's not terribly clear; i understood it as a notice that the person had demonstrated themselves as blind and deaf.

Reactions: Deimos56

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
Just a correction, FlowerChild had a falling out with Forge and Eloraam way before any tekkit issues, that's the reason why his mod is incompatible with everything.

To clarify, FC's beef was/is with the Forge developers and Eloraam almost exclusively. The tekkit group was scapegoated by FC because the mod pack is popular, uses Forge and is considered an easy target on MCF. His recent blowout against NeoWulf and the discussion with slowpoke where he blindly brought up Tekkit is indicative of this.

Reactions: vineet

ollie299792458

Jul 29, 2019
Hellen Keller wasn't a race, though. She was blind and deaf.

So it's like saying 'a blind and deaf person learned to read and write, why can't you'.
It is not particularly polite as the people blatently can read or write and you are compareing there problems to Helens provlems

Charcharmunro

Jul 29, 2019
But, anyway. The Yogscast. They may or may not do FTB stuff. If not, we still have the Mindcrack team making it popular.

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that whole Helen Keller thing kinda rubbed me wrong.

What I meant about the "No Tekkit" rule is that if it becomes a problem with people screaming about tekkit, a policy will be made to head that off. If anything becomes an issue, it will be dealt with.

Personally, I think it would be great for Yogscast to do FTB. The more people the merrier. There will always be trolls, and more people usually does equate to more trolls. However, then you just make moderating more efficient by developing better rules and hiring more mods as needed.

A good community is pretty bulletproof, they adapt to changes. I believe we are a good community and ready for just about anything.

Best rule: Ignore trolls. Don't reply to a confirmed troll posting, let the mods simply delete it. Don't let them know it bothered you (Better yet, don't let it bother you). Don't even give them the time of day. Learn to distinguish a legitimate question from a troll post.

It's not that hard folks. I think we can do it.

Reactions: ollie299792458
Status
Not open for further replies.