What's the point of RotaryCraft?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Mind explaining why you dislike it so much? I run my extractor off of an AC Engine, so I'm interesting in knowing why people dislike magnetizing things.

Because it's the single most annoying step in the tiers for magnetostatics.
If you just use magnetostatics with the tier 1 upgrade and a 16x gearbox it takes like an hour to magnetize each tier 2 upgrade.

In that time I could have literally murdered THOUSANDS of testificates.

Reactions: YX33A

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Because it's the single most annoying step in the tiers for magnetostatics.
If you just use magnetostatics with the tier 1 upgrade and a 16x gearbox it takes like an hour to magnetize each tier 2 upgrade.

In that time I could have literally murdered THOUSANDS of testificates.

That sounds more like a problem with the setup more than anything. I run mine off of two steam engines without any issues.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Mind explaining why you dislike it so much? I run my extractor off of an AC Engine, so I'm interesting in knowing why people dislike magnetizing things.
An AC engine? Once? That must take forever to process ores, but I'm curious how you do that. Must be a rather complicated control mechanism.

As for magnetizing, apart from what I already mentioned, it's mainly the need to observe the first magnetizing, and the absolute impossibility to get anything done in a tolerable amount of time while *starting* with it. Compare that with, say, Ethanol production. Full automation is somewhat complicated and takes some time to set up but if you just want to try out a gasoline engine and see if it works like you want it to before setting up something permanent, you can make a stack of ethanol crystals in no time. The same with jet fuel, or basically any other component this side of reactors. Only the AC engine is different.

I suspect that once you've done it once, you can set up automation in order to automatically withdraw "finished" products from the machine. At least I hope you can, since if you can't that would mean you can't automate replenishing your AC engines, which is a critical trait for me. Anyway, even if you can do this getting there the first time is frustratingly slow, and you have a good alternative in the tier 3 Magnetostatic Engine. Getting there also needs magnetizing, so very, very fortunately only once, and didn't THAT serve as a reminder of how much I don't want to do this. Most other features require building some infrastructure that's useful in its own right, and once built I don't have any more problems and can immediately start doing things. With magnetizing, I have to wait on top of it. A long time.

Or in short: building is fun. Waiting is not.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
The speed of the magnetizing unit seems to me more depend on the timer frequency than the power you give it. I magnetized my upgrades in decent speed with a single steam engine (I think, it's been a while).

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The speed of the magnetizing unit seems to me more depend on the timer frequency than the power you give it. I magnetized my upgrades in decent speed with a single steam engine (I think, it's been a while).
I've been using 0.2 second periods and 131kW and it still takes several seconds to advance by one microtesla (I think that was the unit). The tier 2 upgrade requires 720 if I'm not mistaken...

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
nvm, missed a post, fail.
Mine went incredibly fast with a microturbine and gearing up for max speed/1 torque, the more speed the faster it seems to go.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
An AC engine? Once? That must take forever to process ores, but I'm curious how you do that. Must be a rather complicated control mechanism.

As for magnetizing, apart from what I already mentioned, it's mainly the need to observe the first magnetizing, and the absolute impossibility to get anything done in a tolerable amount of time while *starting* with it. Compare that with, say, Ethanol production. Full automation is somewhat complicated and takes some time to set up but if you just want to try out a gasoline engine and see if it works like you want it to before setting up something permanent, you can make a stack of ethanol crystals in no time. The same with jet fuel, or basically any other component this side of reactors. Only the AC engine is different.

I suspect that once you've done it once, you can set up automation in order to automatically withdraw "finished" products from the machine. At least I hope you can, since if you can't that would mean you can't automate replenishing your AC engines, which is a critical trait for me. Anyway, even if you can do this getting there the first time is frustratingly slow, and you have a good alternative in the tier 3 Magnetostatic Engine. Getting there also needs magnetizing, so very, very fortunately only once, and didn't THAT serve as a reminder of how much I don't want to do this. Most other features require building some infrastructure that's useful in its own right, and once built I don't have any more problems and can immediately start doing things. With magnetizing, I have to wait on top of it. A long time.

Or in short: building is fun. Waiting is not.

It's been about a month since I was last on MC, so I may be off on this by a little:

I run my extractor off a single AC Engine feeding into what I think is a 8:1 Diamond Gearbox. Yes, it requires me to manually change between torque and speed, and yes, it takes a while to finish a stack of ores, but at the point my world is at, I'm not aiming for full automation. I'm aiming at just getting to the point where I can start with some automation.

I've gone for a RotaryCraft only approach. This means I have no RF, MJ, or EU production capabilities, and have no desire to have them yet. I haven't touched a magnetostatic in this world, so it isn't an option. It also means I don't need to worry about magnetizing for upgrades. The single magnetized shaft I use in my AC Engine lasts for a very long time, and it's barely charged. I charge it for the hour or so I'm out mining, and it lasts for several hours of ore processing.

The main thing I'm gathering from your post is having to wait for the magnetizing to finish. I will agree it does take some time to get to a usable state, but why sit there and wait? It isn't an industrial coil, so it doesn't need babysitting to ensure there isn't a base eating explosion. Drop the shaft core in, fire up the timer, and go do something else. Get two projects done at the same time that way. Automation of the process is the other bit you mentioned, but I haven't tried to automate it and can't comment on that. With a bit of clever work, it might be possible.
What why how?

I love the confusion from people when I say that. :p

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
+7 pimp factor.

Honestly, I just did it to learn the mod. I've done TE3 once, and it bores me. Mek I've done several times, IC2 has never been my favorite mod, and BC I've done several times as well. All the talk around here of reactors finally got me to try it out, and RotaryCraft and its addons are now easily my favorite tech mods. It's a big reward for a big investment. Nice change of pace from some current mods.
Must be satisfying huh[DOUBLEPOST=1405365643][/DOUBLEPOST]
Answer approved by Strikingwolf Corp.

Very satisfying. Confused the hell out of @trajing when I first told him how I run my extractor. :p