Teleporting and gates....what are the options?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've tried a few things since I started this thread.

For moving around in my base, the Mekanism teleporters work well. They don't require interaction, they're reasonably cheap to use over short distances and require just three machines to create and not too much of any rare resource. Disadvantage: they can't be made any other size than 2x1, which means you'll hit the frame occasionally while running.

I've also done Mystcraft intra-linking. This is good for longer distances, and/or to places you won't route power into with a Tesseract (Mekanism teleporters can't be centrally powered liked Enhanced Portals' portals).

Things to do: build Mystcraft portals (I now have the crystal blocks). Check if Mekanism teleporters work on moving frames. Build the portable teleporter. Try EnderIO travel anchors. Progress in TTKami to the Celestial Portals. I have everything set up to produce my first stack of Ichor...

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Why not try the blood magic teleposers... they seems to work incredibly well and I have yet to see a limit into how far they can teleport!

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Why not try the blood magic teleposers... they seems to work incredibly well and I have yet to see a limit into how far they can teleport!
As far as I've been able to judge things, moving up through Blood Magic's tiers is a huge hassle. The teleposers might be interesting if you're using Blood Magic anyway, but I haven't got around to it yet.

As for the way there being difficult, that's much like the TTKami Celestial gateways actually, of which I have just created a bunch. They have neat and aesthetically pleasing mechanics, need no power and are as compact as they come, with every gateway being able to connect to up to 10 others, but they have the big disadvantage that they won't work across dimensions, which is rather disappointing considering the effort it took to get there. In spite of that, the fact that a gateway takes up almost no space (one block set into the floor) and that every gate can connect to every other makes me consider them for moving around in my base. They fit well with the way I build as well.

For anyone who considers this, however, a warning: you will need, among other things, something like 16 jars of Spiritus and Lux, 8 jars of Humanus, 16 jars of Iter, Alienis and Volatus, several jars of Praecantatio and Aer and quite a bit of about half the available essentia types to create everything in TTKami including ten gateways and the pearls to use them. From a failed experiment in AE autocrafting, I had something like 800 torches before I started with TTKami stuff. I actually had to make more...

Last edited:

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
DartCraft adds teleportation rods. These rods can be bound to specific coordinates and used to teleport to these coordinates once set. Dartcraft also adds a belt wich can be hold in the hotbar and filled with 8 different rods, basicly given you 8 free teleport locations using NUM-1 till NUM-8.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Not directly though. You must use a pocket dimension as a nexus or gateway.
Unless something has changed you can do it site to site. Right click the rift signature in the two places then place a dimensional door on the rift.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Unless something has changed you can do it site to site. Right click the rift signature in the two places then place a dimensional door on the rift.
That's nice, if it works that way. The mod spotlight appeared to indicate differently, but it's more than a year old. My issue with most gate mods is the necessity for a bulky frame. WIth this, you could build a portal nexus in a reasonably-sized room. Does this work across dimensions, .i.e. to and from the Nether and the End? For the sake of style I'll stick to books for Mystcraft ages, but anything else is open to be modified.

I should say, though, that these recipes are rather cheap. I consider this mod severely unbalanced.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
That's nice, if it works that way. The mod spotlight appeared to indicate differently, but it's more than a year old. My issue with most gate mods is the necessity for a bulky frame. WIth this, you could build a portal nexus in a reasonably-sized room. Does this work across dimensions, .i.e. to and from the Nether and the End? For the sake of style I'll stick to books for Mystcraft ages, but anything else is open to be modified.

I should say, though, that these recipes are rather cheap. I consider this mod severely unbalanced.
I think it works across dimensions. Also, I think the recipes were changed at one point to use fabric of reality, rather than ender pearls, which can only be found in loot chests in dimensional dungeons.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I think it works across dimensions. Also, I think the recipes were changed at one point to use fabric of reality, rather than ender pearls, which can only be found in loot chests in dimensional dungeons.
Hmph. That's quite the other extreme. I hate to depend on random finds. Dozens of mods adding their own stuff to dungeon chests can result in any specific item becoming prohibitively rare.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Hmph. That's quite the other extreme. I hate to depend on random finds. Dozens of mods adding their own stuff to dungeon chests can result in any specific item becoming prohibitively rare.
It isn't in normal dungeons, only the dungeons that are accessed by naturally generated dimensional rifts. I don't know how common those are though.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
There was a "secret" way to collect the fabric of reality directly from a pocket dimension without needing to find it in loot chests. It required ic2 though. Not sure if that still exists, or if there is another mechanism now.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft's intra-linking functionality appears to have been disabled in the latest version.
Why do you say that? You need intra-linking panel to write such book and they should be doable in both 1.6 and 1.7.

I used to start with qCraft portals but later they felt worse than Mystcraft portals overall. They allow inter-server teleportation though, and requires both portals be chunkloaded.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019

Last time I used that mod, which was like six months ago in hexxit, the recipes still only required ender pearls. This might be a config setting though.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
The other option to get world thread is finding rift clusters in the overworld, then "feeding" them with blocks. They'll keep growing up until a point and by default, each block they destroy has a 50% chance to drop a world thread or whatever that string reskin is called.
And wow, it took two pages until someone mentioned DD? I'm sad.
Here's another option for that as well, but it was pretty crashy last time I tried using it and the author died not too long after that (it's the same person who made Chisel). Another sad thing is that nobody cares enough about this mod to fork or port it to another version.