New Server Monetisation Guidelines by Mojang

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Those rules seem reasonable. It appears they just don't want servers making a two tiered system for paying vs non-paying clients.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
Those rules seem reasonable. It appears they just don't want servers making a two tiered system for paying vs non-paying clients.
Im more then a bit afraid this will mean the end of most modded servers, because the hosting costs are horrible and people not willing to pay much without massive advantages.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Hosting a server myself I must say that FTB servers can only hold a few players each because the effective "weight" of each player (footprint? cpu usage? etc) is so incredibly high. Playing FTB *is* a massive advantage over vanilla. I understand Bukkit admins on vanilla have hundreds of players, and I can't imagine that on FTB.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
Hosting a server myself I must say that FTB servers can only hold a few players each because the effective "weight" of each player (footprint? cpu usage? etc) is so incredibly high. Playing FTB *is* a massive advantage over vanilla. I understand Bukkit admins on vanilla have hundreds of players, and I can't imagine that on FTB.
which further compounds the problem. a server with average 20 people online will need the same hardware as a vanilla server with 250.

Madjock999

Jul 29, 2019
A few hundred players is possible on FTB you just require a decent server with Multi-threading, Back in the old days when Ultimate was one of the most popular packs and similarly with Unleashed my server had over 200 players at points.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
A few hundred players is possible on FTB you just require a decent server with Multi-threading, Back in the old days when Ultimate was one of the most popular packs and similarly with Unleashed my server had over 200 players at points.

A decent server and you need to ban half the game for lag-reasons
none of the 1.6 packs is even remotely close to beeing as stable as ultimate or even unleashed.

Madjock999

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that is true, I think the main problem with big servers is generally Thermal Expansion in 1.6.4, At least if you have MCPC+ (Or whatever it is called now) And you want Tickthreading as it doesn't work well with it.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Yeah that is true, I think the main problem with big servers is generally Thermal Expansion in 1.6.4, At least if you have MCPC+ (Or whatever it is called now) And you want Tickthreading as it doesn't work well with it.

More people should move to EnderIO cables. I think they work much better and offer more functionality at that.

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
More people should move to EnderIO cables. I think they work much better and offer more functionality at that.
Thermal expansion is responsible for less then 20% strain by now, and its the most used techmod on the server. The mods are just poorly optimized in general, thats the problem

Decnav

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to donate alot, both to keep the server running but more importantly to get the perks for paying to obtain donor status.

With this new edict it would effectivly end any reason I have to donate. Im not sure how modded servers will be able to pay for hosting and bandwidth.

Currently thoes who donate are paying for the "free ride" most players are on and it seems to work well.

Will this make most servers pay to play?

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to donate alot, both to keep the server running but more importantly to get the perks for paying to obtain donor status.

With this new edict it would effectivly end any reason I have to donate. Im not sure how modded servers will be able to pay for hosting and bandwidth.

Currently thoes who donate are paying for the "free ride" most players are on and it seems to work well.

Will this make most servers pay to play?
Or downright shut down, depending on size and attitude of the server owner.

*performs a blood sacrifice to summon @Reika *

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Why on earth are we bothering Reika?

At best he's going to point out that folks' faith in TE3 being the best-non-lag mod is a widely accepted myth.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Why on earth are we bothering Reika?

At best he's going to point out that folks' faith in TE3 being the best-non-lag mod is a widely accepted myth.
That and the fact I am very pleased with the new clarifications to the rules, not least because it will finally shut up all those people cussing me out for having my mods' ToS also forbid restricting and/or selling content, many of which claim that it was violating everything from Mojang EULA to copyright law to the Geneva convention. :p

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019

So there's a sticky article on why MCPC+ is frowned on for support reasons (which I completely understand). Tick threading is supposed to break more things potentially.

If Minecraft were ever *properly* multithreaded, then the eight core Xeon I have could host a huge server instead of just 20 players.

Making money off hosting a server isn't such a hot idea, but I could see the need to help pay for FTB hosting due to the load.

I'm glad to see Mojang is specifying their goals in a FAQ than another legal document. They are also remaining very neutral in the face of a profit motive (ie: no cut or percentage, no ban, etc), just treat everyone fairly.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Making money off hosting a server isn't such a hot idea, but I could see the need to help pay for FTB hosting due to the load.
I'm glad to see Mojang is specifying their goals in a FAQ than another legal document. They are also remaining very neutral in the face of a profit motive (ie: no cut or percentage, no ban, etc), just treat everyone fairly.
You get quite an interesting spectrum of opinions when you look into this. The majority range somewhere in the "we need to monetize to pay for hosting, but forcing donations is dickish", but a great many fall into either "donations are theft" or "we should be allowed to do and sell whatever we want".

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Everything gets dramatic once money is involved. I think that mandating neutrality helps reduce the liklihood of exploiting someone elses otherwise free content.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Creeperhosts new Playments system is an interesting take on the situation. It allows you to give a link to your players showing how much is left on the bill and allowing them to process a portion (in the ammount of their choosing) so that they know exactly where the money is going.

Reactions: psp and Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Creeperhosts new Playments system is an interesting take on the situation. It allows you to give a link to your players showing how much is left on the bill and allowing them to process a portion (in the ammount of their choosing) so that they know exactly where the money is going.
I like that.

Bigdog

Jul 29, 2019
Creeperhosts sucks though dedicated is the way to go mainly for a good ftb server.