Update on the Future of FTB Modpacks in 1.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arron Syaoran

Jul 29, 2019
With RF, you actually have to pay for it. With IC2, when you have enough materials, players would just plop down an HV solar and forget about it. No point in making any more power production at that point. It's also relatively easy to look up a reactor design oonline and get plutonium to make infinite power without the high resource cost. That way only requires more uranium at that point. With RF, you actually need fuel no matter what dynamo you use. All of the fuel types supported by TE (excpet the reactant dynamo - that one's special) are supported by IC2. As your power draw gets larger, you need more dynamos, and as a result, more fuel.
I never use HV Solars nor Advanced Solars(Too OP). In fact, even Compressed Solars are a bit iffy.

As for Fuel Cost, let's hope the Fuels in question include Charcoal and Lava. Still would be nice to have energy loss over distance though.
(Off Topic: Did you know that the Current IC2 Experimental E-net system is unfinished and currently has no EU loss?)

Edit: I may actually try Mekanism and see if it does replace IC2 in my favour.
I'm mainly in IC2 for Jetpack, Rechargeable Tools/Armour and UU-Matter Stuffs.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I'm okay with the RF System Standardization, but I honestly hope that RF isn't a Super-Easy Power Type that allows Easier Free Infinite Energy than IC2 Solars, and that RF actually DOES have some form of Power loss over time/block. I haven't tried RF Power TBH, But I'm hoping that each unit of RF comes at a premium rather than having more than plenty of it early on.

My main concern is if there will ever be another modpack again containing IC2, EE3, GraviSuite and some form of Marble/Basalt Replica. I use EE3 mainly to get clay from Iron so I can build Clay/Brick en masse. I'm not a big fan of either Gregtech or Tinker's Construct, and absolutely loathe Natura's Terrain Gen and OP Nether Spiders.

Someone doesn't play 1.6. I wouldn't be too concered about Marble/Basalt thanks to Project Red. EE3 might be included, but no-one has said definatly otherwise. They've already confirmed an IC2 pack for 1.7 and GraviSuite will likely be in it.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
If IC2 would just switch to freaking RF, or at the very least support it...
honestly this is a VERY narrow minded idea IC2 became IC2 becuase it wanted to be IC2 EU fits the hole feel of the mod with electrical circuits and electricity powering everything it just feels... right where as TE its more of a kinetic energy with RF movement more movement means faster machines it would kill the feeling of IC2 a bit if it where to switch energy's

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
If IC2 would just switch to freaking RF, or at the very least support it...
IC was the original electricity mod. When it was released, no other mods had a power system. IC2 energy has worked as it has for ever. And it's a fun energy system because of the risks involved. RF has no risks. It will never explode, ever. And why would IC2 switch to RF? There's no point to doing that. Did you know that TE started out as a buildcraft addon? Yeah. Back in 1.2.5, it was only powered with MJ. no conduits or energy cells, just machines. It was somewhat of an IC2 clone that ran off of buildcraft power. Honestly, TE wouldn't even exist today if it wasn't for IC2, and it's rather impressive that it's still around. Changing the mod to use RF would kill it, and I hope that never happens.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
IC was the original electricity mod. When it was released, no other mods had a power system. IC2 energy has worked as it has for ever. And it's a fun energy system because of the risks involved. RF has no risks. It will never explode, ever. And why would IC2 switch to RF? There's no point to doing that. Did you know that TE started out as a buildcraft addon? Yeah. Back in 1.2.5, it was only powered with MJ. no conduits or energy cells, just machines. It was somewhat of an IC2 clone that ran off of buildcraft power. Honestly, TE wouldn't even exist today if it wasn't for IC2, and it's rather impressive that it's still around. Changing the mod to use RF would kill it, and I hope that never happens.
heres a good sumarisation of what you just said the copiers would have to be copied by the original (yes i know that is not the correct spelling of that form of summarize but failed X_X)

RedArchon1

Jul 29, 2019
idk if this has been said, as i have only read the first few pages, but as far as i know Railcraft is largely compatible with RF and TE3, i run my entire system [Primarily MFR TE3 and AE] off of a railcraft max size High Pressure Steam Boiler, steam dynamos use the steam easily

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
idk if this has been said, as i have only read the first few pages, but as far as i know Railcraft is largely compatible with RF and TE3, i run my entire system [Primarily MFR TE3 and AE] off of a railcraft max size High Pressure Steam Boiler, steam dynamos use the steam easily
Yes, that is TEs doing, not Railcraft. IIRC Railcraft engines will not create RF, the Rolling Machine/Rock Crusher will not use RF either.

Hithere__

Jul 29, 2019
I know. I played Tekkit Classic back when it was still called Tekkit, then Tekkit Lite, Galacticraft tekkit, and have recently moved to FTB.
I know what you mean, EU is great, I don't think it should be removed, but rather cables should be able to instantly convert RF to EU and vice versa when, for let's say, a Leadstone Energy Conduit is beside a Copper Cable. They should just connect to each other and instantly convert power units. This would be much better, and make them more suitable to be in the same pack.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I know what you mean, EU is great, I don't think it should be removed, but rather cables should be able to instantly convert RF to EU and vice versa when, for let's say, a Leadstone Energy Conduit is beside a Copper Cable. They should just connect to each other and instantly convert power units. This would be much better, and make them more suitable to be in the same pack.

Again, that would completely invalidate an entire aspect of IC2. The systems are separate for a reason.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
I know. I played Tekkit Classic back when it was still called Tekkit, then Tekkit Lite, Galacticraft tekkit, and have recently moved to FTB.
.... RF to MJ makes sense there both kind of movement energy where as IC2 is electricity the conversion to RF would be like turning leeves to power it's possible but the process is MUCH longer and makes sense because there are specific machines that there name explains the process

Last edited:

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
.... RF to MJ makes sense there both kind of movement energy where as IC2 is electricity the conversion would be like turning leeves to power it's possible but the process is MUCH longer and makes sense because there are specific machines that there name explains the process
Actually, RF is based heavily on MJ. There's even a direct conversion in the mod. 10 RF is the exact equivalent of 1 MJ. Has been from the start.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, RF is based heavily on MJ. There's even a direct conversion in the mod. 10 RF is the exact equivalent of 1 MJ. Has been from the start.
Well, it is important to make a distinction between based on and aware of ;). King Lemming completely wrote the RF api from the ground up, and it is quite different from many of the MJ inner workings. The convenient unit jump is to keep fuel values from making the devs experience too much "head-meets-wall" action. One of the ideas was to be able to keep the units to integer variable types vs floats or doubles, which is why RF numbers get so high.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Well, it is important to make a distinction between based on and aware of ;). King Lemming completely wrote the RF api from the ground up, and it is quite different from many of the MJ inner workings. The convenient unit jump is to keep fuel values from making the devs experience too much "head-meets-wall" action. One of the ideas was to be able to keep the units to integer variable types vs floats or doubles, which is why RF numbers get so high.
I think part of it was that players would not be happy if they took away their beloved MJ cabling that was in 1.4. But what I meant by "based on" is more balancing.

Derpysauce

Aug 29, 2013
Ben shapiro
Is that not what I said? I apologize if it came out incorrectly I am fully aware of how TE started out heck I even played with it

Arron Syaoran

Jul 29, 2019
I always thought of EU as Electric Energy while MJ was Mechanical Energy. RF doesn't seem to make much sense in a scientific manner, compared to MJ and EU. Right now I'm kinda stuck as far as what version of MC I want to play. I'm leaning toward Vanilla(since FTB Ultimate/Mindcrack/Unleashed-style packs are a thing of the past), but I await confirmation from my bro Gigazoth if he wants to switch to Vanilla or stick to modded MC.

I tried Horizons for a short time, and only really got into Metallurgy 3 and Pam's Harvestcraft(both I like). I want to try Mekanism(preferably the UE/Ampz kind) and I would wish there was an IC2 Addon based on using IC2 Machines for Food Processing(Macerator = Blender, Ore Washing = Laundry machine, Compressor = Rolling Pin, Extractor = Dehydrator). I would probably be playing the IC2 Pack, but only if there was a not-too-difficult source of renewable clay/brick.(Cheaper than UU to clay, where 1 clay block costs 2 Diamonds worth of UU) I believe EE3 should be added in the IC2 pack(or at least have it be not added, but easily addable without having to tinker cause of ID Conflicts/errors). As for Reactor Craft, too many different ores for fluorite, which I find useless in non-Reika mods(reduces ore gen of other ores due to competition). Haven't played long enough to enjoy the full beauty of Horizons, but the RF System was quite nice(made me think of Thermal-Expansion-style MJ combined with a touch or Redpower influence).

I actually like TE quite well, especially the Ice Making Machines and the Cracked Stone Brick in the Pulverizer. The ability to obtain creative/silk touch/unobtainable vanilla blocks(such as 43:8 and 43:9) is one of the main reasons why I like mods.

Zaes

Jul 29, 2019
I always thought of EU as Electric Energy while MJ was Mechanical Energy. RF doesn't seem to make much sense in a scientific manner, compared to MJ and EU. Right now I'm kinda stuck as far as what version of MC I want to play. I'm leaning toward Vanilla(since FTB Ultimate/Mindcrack/Unleashed-style packs are a thing of the past), but I await confirmation from my bro Gigazoth if he wants to switch to Vanilla or stick to modded MC.

I tried Horizons for a short time, and only really got into Metallurgy 3 and Pam's Harvestcraft(both I like). I want to try Mekanism(preferably the UE/Ampz kind) and I would wish there was an IC2 Addon based on using IC2 Machines for Food Processing(Macerator = Blender, Ore Washing = Laundry machine, Compressor = Rolling Pin, Extractor = Dehydrator). I would probably be playing the IC2 Pack, but only if there was a not-too-difficult source of renewable clay/brick.(Cheaper than UU to clay, where 1 clay block costs 2 Diamonds worth of UU) I believe EE3 should be added in the IC2 pack(or at least have it be not added, but easily addable without having to tinker cause of ID Conflicts/errors). As for Reactor Craft, too many different ores for fluorite, which I find useless in non-Reika mods(reduces ore gen of other ores due to competition). Haven't played long enough to enjoy the full beauty of Horizons, but the RF System was quite nice(made me think of Thermal-Expansion-style MJ combined with a touch or Redpower influence).

I actually like TE quite well, especially the Ice Making Machines and the Cracked Stone Brick in the Pulverizer. The ability to obtain creative/silk touch/unobtainable vanilla blocks(such as 43:8 and 43:9) is one of the main reasons why I like mods.

Sounds like you haven't played with much magic with minecraft. May I suggest Magic World or Magic Farm?

Reactions: SatanicSanta

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, that is TEs doing, not Railcraft. IIRC Railcraft engines will not create RF, the Rolling Machine/Rock Crusher will not use RF either.
Not directly from a dynamo, perhaps, but any kind of RF-compatible cabling should suffice. I know from experience that applies to both TE and EnderIO cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.