Magic Crops + Big Reactor = lots of power (pic heavy)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
ok i was kinda derping on that connections thing. so i dug around and tried the TE multimeter...and it was telling me the laser drill prechargers were only pulling 5k each...so i was all like...hmmmm.

so now im running 6 laser drills, 2 prechargers each. and now the reactor is just *barely* keeping up with the power draw, enough that it doesnt need the power cycle anymore. its hovering just a few points over 60k rf/t, which is what is being pulled right now off that setup.

Victory, much better sir!

For what its worth, you can combine the conduits once they've successfully output, and split them again when you need them at the machines. A conduit can carry unlimited RF, it just bottlenecks at connections.

It would probably look a bit better, and save you a few conduit pieces.

Reactions: Staxed

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
dont have that technomancy mod yet. been looking tho. the whole setup was designed so the reactor and the fuel farm were independent of each other in terms of power, thats what the squid/melon seed farms are doing to keep the fuel factory going. the alumentum was just to add some flair to the generation of herba ;)
Flair to the generation of Herba, eh? What, a giant nuclear reactor not enough "flair"?
...OK, maybe not. But I can think of a solution to that issue... GOLEMS! Actually, any sort of creature will do, but golems can wear a Fez and a Bow-tie, so that's why I suggest them.
You likely have Emasher's mods installed, and look at them and think "why do I have this stuff again?" constantly. Well, here's my answer to that: Piezoelectric generators! Yup, things walk on them, and you get power. Be warned, it can hurt them now and then, but it's 80 rf a step, with a bit of cooldown... so make a few walkways using sockets with those, ideally with geostrata crystal lamps to heal what you send across them, and add some sort of fan to send them across it, and yay power from a weird yet cool mechanic!

eth100tx

Jul 29, 2019
Also a big fan of BigReactors. Using 0.3.0A you can split the reactor from energy generation. The result is
.186 mB/t Yellow for 120K RF/t

1 reactor
+ 12 high, core chamber being 10 high
+ 4 fuel rods in a square. Clockwise they are set at (30%, 20%, 30%, 20%) so 4 is likely overkill
+ can't remember, but I suspect I surrounded the fuel rods with solid ender blocks to attempt to transfer heat better
Reactor stats
+ .186 mB/t of yellow in
+ 10 B/t of steam out
5 turbines
Stats for each
+ 2000 mB/t steam in
+ 24k RF/t out

So .186 mB/t Yellow for 120K RF/t

Which drives a collection of drills. Some are set with focus on Laser Focus (Yellow). Which results in a net gain in Yellowium.

Other details
+ Tesserates move steam to Turbines and water back to the reactor
+ I ended up with a bunch of creative water inputs to the reactor, but these may not be needed with a working backflow of water from the turbines (never got around to taking them off)
+ 3 power connections out of each turbine to handle 30K RF from each
+ unclear how much power the prechargers can take, looks like at least 2 connections to each (20K work). I suspect it's more
+ The turbines chamber is 5x5 wide, 5 high for metal blocks and 10 more for blades... used ender metal blocks as internal coil. It took a bit to find the right number to balance close to optimal RPMs.... it's a stack 5 high with only 7 on the top one, so 5 high * 8 per ring - 2 = 38 blocks total.

1) 1 Reactor + 5 Turbines driving Drills

2014-04-18_12.19.40.png

2) reactor control
2014-04-18_11.57.54.png

3) turbine
2014-04-18_12.01.09.png

4) Some Laser drills are focused on Yellow (more Yellowite)

2014-04-18_12.02.55.png

5) with the standard Thermal Expansion automation to refine and AE to manage
2014-04-18_12.03.13.png

Reactions: YX33A

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
not claiming victory just yet ;) after @eth100tx awesome pic response, i had to do the same ;)

2014-04-20_003827.png

5 very large turbines taking steam from the reactor, and they feed water back to the reactor to keep the cycle going, all via tesseracts. btw...dont try doing these with fluiducts....they just cant move enough fluid. i tried. really tried. extra utils transfer nodes and pipes work, but you need the nodes maxed out on speed upgrades. and i think they have a limit to fluids as well. stick to tesseracts, especially when trying to keep up with the 2 buckets/t transfer rates going on per turbine

each turbine produces o over 27k rf, which is enough to run 5 prechargers, and almost a 6th (each precharger needs 5k rf/t). the big change here tho is i switched the reactor from using liquid ender to the blue gel to keep it cool (stays at 1820 degrees right now), and even then thats not enough. the rods are all at 60% except the middle one which is at 50% insertion...meaning I think i can run a few more turbines off this. im already running over 135k rf/t total here...i dont know how many turbines i can max this out on.

and thats not all:

2014-04-20_003842.png

adding more crops. glowstone, lapis, ghast and magma cube crops. about to start a creeper crop. hmmm, what does all that make? mimichite ;) i plan on growing lots of mimichite to apply to all the nether ores the drills are digging up. then off to ore processing. more to come, stay tuned

Reactions: Pyure

eth100tx

Jul 29, 2019
Steve G,

Looks great! Over at http://www.big-reactors.com/ the next update should include "I'll be commencing work on the much-requested high-density steam mode and the exotic active coolants this weekend."

Given my 10 high reactor chamber with 4 rods set is only set at 25%, higher density steam should potentially scale this up without spamming the world with turbines. This does mean a lot of mining lasers. I like the idea of running each with just 2 prechargers so they can line up nicely. I'm thinking there will be roughly 40-50 of them once the reactor runs at 100%.

I did check and the 5K RF/t limit to the precharger is in the MFR code and not a configuration option. I was hoping to set it to 10K RF/t for simplicity.

Also I poked around with Magic Crops. There's a patch to make the MFR harvester work if you are interested. It worked on my local server.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2327006-use-magical-crops-with-the-mfr-harvester/
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ep270ca23d19dwi/MFRCompatMagicalCrops.zip works with magical_crops_1.6.4_3.2.0_BETA_15a.zip

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
i just looked at the stats of my reactor...its producing 50 buckets of steam per *tick*. that means this can run 25 turbines, each putting out 27k rf/t...over 680k rf per tick. i think i win ;)

i just started adding ore processing, and its taking a while to convert all the existing stuff, never mind all the ore still coming in from the drills[DOUBLEPOST=1398113995][/DOUBLEPOST]
Steve G,
Also I poked around with Magic Crops. There's a patch to make the MFR harvester work if you are interested. It worked on my local server.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2327006-use-magical-crops-with-the-mfr-harvester/
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ep270ca23d19dwi/MFRCompatMagicalCrops.zip works with magical_crops_1.6.4_3.2.0_BETA_15a.zip

thats cool. i dont really need the extra seed drops. as long as the seeds come back into the system, the crops are perfect the way its set up now. the only downside is i am getting a huge overflow of weak essence and nature essence...nature essence isnt an issue tho, that gets converted to vines to keep the herba factory going, but even then i still have to run the jungle tree farm to replenish the vine/charcoal anyway. the only way to get weak and nature essence drops is either manual harvesting, or flood harvesting like what im doing with this setup

speaking of crops, the mimichite process is now coming from lapis, glowstone, ghast, creeper and slime crops. slime? because i get so much excess blaze powder from the yellorium process trying to get sulfur, im using that to craft with slime to make magma cream. now its pretty balanced out, the only product i truly get an excess of is weak essence. and all the ore coming off the drills ;)

edit (last one for this thread):

16 turbines = 32 mfr laser drills = 430k rf per tick
2014-04-21_205937.png

the ore processing:

2014-04-21_205957.png

the MAC autocrafts nether ores with mimichite, getting the 4x ore bonus off those blocks. everything else is fed to pulverizers, and ores that cant be pulverized get sent to the block placer/breaker setup with the sewers between them. the sewers pick up the xp drops from breaking the ores, and the mob essences goes to a me fluid interface, storing the fluid in the ae system

the crops:

2014-04-21_210015.png

top 5 crops make the ingredients for the yellorium processing, the bottom 5 are for mimichite

the mimichite processing:

2014-04-21_210034.png

just behind the essentia mirrors, cyclic assemblers process the crop essence, the last 2 with interfaces autocraft the magma cream and mimichite. the ender chest there has an export interface set to always craft, with a level emitter to trigger it when mimichite level drops below threshold

thats all i intend to do with this build, i might try this in survival someday.

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So, what are you using for heat transfer? By the looks of it you're using gelid cryostuff(sic). You know that diamond blocks are a bit better if more expensive, right? On that sort of strange note, did you know that your Enderium Blocks are only slightly better then using iron, because the efficiency is the same since the draw is also equal to the energy conversion efficiency; but with a 1.02 power output bonus? Just consumes and outputs 3 times as much steam/power per tick. You may want to consider a more efficient metal for the rotor coil. If you don't use Metallurgy 3 and have those fantasy metals, I suggest using Titanium; it consumes 270% steam compared to the baseline of 100% from iron coils, but outputs power at 310% efficiency compared to even enderium, but enderium has that 1.02 power output bonus, which sounds like chump change to me compared to using less steam yet getting more power.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
the reactor has diamond blocks in the core, directly between the rods, with the coolant on the perimeter. yes its the gelid cryotheum. as for the turbines, i just went with eth100tx's design. before i did the turbines it was a passively cooled reactor doing 60k rf per tick. the turbine setup i have now is doing over 430k rf per tick. ill check the other metals sometime, playing with other stuff ;)

KillerRamer

Jul 29, 2019
And have no RF cap. Until you try to extract it from the Tes' and then it's the cable's fault it can't keep up.
Don't they also drop energy moving through them though aswell, unless reconfigured? Then again... I honestly have no clue what to do with THAT much power...

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Don't they also drop energy moving through them though aswell, unless reconfigured? Then again... I honestly have no clue what to do with THAT much power...
Yup... in 1.5.X, before TE3. The Tesseract Trio is dead! Long Live the Tesseract!

Reactions: PierceSG

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
sorry about photobucket guys...gonna look for another image host that doesnt cripple you in bandwidth

was toying around with metallurgy metals in the turbines...wasnt impressed with it. i tried tartarite, that almost ended up in an overspin scenario and didnt produce quite the power i was getting from enderium blocks. using 1 less enderium block in the last coil in the turbines let the turbines spin up a little faster and got me almost to 29k rf/t. im trying to see if i can hit the 30krf per turbine but so far no luck ;) any one have luck hitting that number?