Tinker's Sword mats

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I really tried before putting down this post, but after spending an hour starting at the tinker books provided ingame, I cannot reach a conclusion.

Maybe I'm being stupid, but if you ask me, the materials section isn't what you can call very clear.

I finally made runic armour with Thaumcraft, so that's my defences settled, and now I want a bit of offence. I know I could go with a MPS railgun and own pretty much everything, but I want a more - personal approach if you know what I mean :p

I concluded that Manyullyn is the best for a blade, but I'm pretty much stumped on what to make the handle and crossbar of, and what the modifier should be.

I want the sword to chop down as much hearts as possible with one hit.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I concluded that Manyullyn is the best for a blade, but I'm pretty much stumped on what to make the handle and crossbar of, and what the modifier should be.
crossbar - paper.
handle - thaumium. if you're going for electric/RF you can use paper instead, because durability loss wouldn't matter.

Reactions: RedBoss

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Cactus is a good add for weapons as it gives you "Jagged". It's not a straight up damage increase but helps with mobs that have any form of armor.
So a man~ blade
Thaumium cross
Cactus rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
many blade and paper crossbar is a no brainer. the handle is down to preference. if you aren't planning on putting moss on it, then a many handle is a good bet, since it gives a 2.5x durability bonus. cactus gives a durability hit, so unless you really really need jagged, stay away. for armour piercing i recommend going for the rapier instead of doing cactus handle on any of the other swords.
For raw DPS, a many cleaver, paper crossguard, a thaumium rod, put a single moss on it for the autorepair, (or electric upgrade if you are so inclined), then sharpen it up to the hilt with quarts. you'll be chopping them heads off in notime.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
since when jagged has armor-piercing? i always remember it as stounbound for weapons.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
many for the handle is theoretically best, but is actually a waste as the durability of a weapon never comes into play - assuming at least mossy I.
As such, add something that adds another upgrade slot or unique ability. cactus, thaumium, paper etc.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
As said before, If you want extra durability and another modifier, go for thaumium. If you are using the RF modifier, go for paper. Cactus is also good, wear down the weapon as much as possible before putting RF on it.

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
There isnt best Tico weapon, all have their ups and downs, since it seems that you are late game-ish you dont really need the longsword. If you are going to conquer and attack Custom Mod Dungeons, mobs there usually have a bit of armor, which means rapier is better. If you want them for a daily use, just do a broadsword with: Manamanam Blade, paper guard is one of the best too and lastly you can choose either a Thaumium or cactus handle, thaumium if you are going to put moss, cactus if RF.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If you have thaumium then you have Thaumcraft, then you have the best end game weapon - the Sword of the Zephyr. TiCo weapons might do more damage but there is no TiCo modifier that adds a sweep attack. Which is utterly necessary when end game dungeons decide to swarm you with (for example) silverfish. The right click option also reflects missiles and provides an emergency flight option saving you from falling damage.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard that Extra TiC has a material that's better then Manyu for a weapon's "head", so there is, in theory, anyway, better options then Manyu for a blade.
As for the rest of it, well, it depends on if you're going for a electric modifier or not. If yes, cactus, as stated, is ideal. If not, then paper +mossy is often a good choice.
Also:
If you have thaumium then you have Thaumcraft, then you have the best end game weapon - the Sword of the Zephyr. TiCo weapons might do more damage but there is no TiCo modifier that adds a sweep attack. Which is utterly necessary when end game dungeons decide to swarm you with (for example) silverfish. The right click option also reflects missiles and provides an emergency flight option saving you from falling damage.
There may be no "sweep" modifier for TiC weapons, but that's because there is a weapon that natively has that.

Reactions: kaovalin

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
If you have thaumium then you have Thaumcraft, then you have the best end game weapon - the Sword of the Zephyr. TiCo weapons might do more damage but there is no TiCo modifier that adds a sweep attack. Which is utterly necessary when end game dungeons decide to swarm you with (for example) silverfish.
Scythes and Hammers both do AOE attacks. Scythe with Smite and Life Steal is fantastic for zombie hordes.

Reactions: YX33A

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard that Extra TiC has a material that's better then Manyu for a weapon's "head", so there is, in theory, anyway, better options then Manyu for a blade.
As for the rest of it, well, it depends on if you're going for a electric modifier or not. If yes, cactus, as stated, is ideal. If not, then paper +mossy is often a good choice.
Also:

There may be no "sweep" modifier for TiC weapons, but that's because there is a weapon that natively has that.
This is correct. I don't know what all of them are, but adamantine and tartarite are way better than any normal TiC metals. They both have durability way beyond normal materials. I made a mining hammer with the 2 metals and it has 74k durability . They have a higher mining speed than cobalt as well. I also made a sword with adamantine before I figured out tartarite is even higher tier. Not sure how much it would affect the attack damage.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Raw DPS depends on the mob, I have a cleaver with smite and a rapier with sharpness for everything else..

Both heads are mani as you said, the binding should always be paper :p for the rod use thaumium and use that extra 2 modifiers to give it electric durability and destroying abilities :D

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
If you want them for a daily use, just do a broadsword with: Manamanam Blade, paper guard is one of the best too and lastly you can choose either a Thaumium or cactus handle, thaumium if you are going to put moss, cactus if RF.

if you go for cactus part and have thumium available, you should use cactus for guard and thaumium for rod, because thaumium has higher handle mod.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Thanks all for your suggestions :D

I'm quite advanced in the Thaumcraft tree (as I said I just made runic armour) so thaumium isn't a problem.

Think I'll try man blade (i give up on spelling that), and paper for the rest, and stuffing it full of quartz and RF.

Durability isn't my concern much as I always put in moss or something, although I don't want to crumble after a couple of hits.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Jagged IIRC gives the weapon a damage bonus that's inversely proportional to the durability of the weapon, like Stonebound does for mining speed. So the more "broken" your weapon is, the more damage it'll deal. If you tick the weapon down to 1 durability, then add electric or RF modifier, you'll have maxed out damage bonus from Jagged, but your tool won't break unless you keep using it after it's run out of power. Now, i don't know if the bonus damage you get from Jagged is better than what you would get from maxing out Quartz from another modifier from the thaumium rod you're substituting for cactus. Tests would be needed to test which is better. Of course, like Stonebound, the damage bonus is also proportional to the max amount of durability the weapon has, so it would have to be Thaumium Rod, Cactus Guard and Manyullin blade, to get the best durability and +1 modifier. Also, since the Jagged bonus is also linked to max durability just like Stonebound, it means you'll get the most out of it out of a Cleaver, Hammer or a Scythe, since because those take more mats, they have higher max durability than the "basic" Tinker's Construct tools. Again, tests would be needed to see which is better - +1 modifier full of Quartz, or the Jagged Ability when ticked down to 1 durability.

In any case, for my weapon of choice, i'd go with a Cutlass rather than a Rapier, becuase of 10% crits on normal attacks, and a 10% damage bonus to all critical hits, but would still have a backup rapier just in case i run into a diamond armored zombie/skeleton. Like said before, Scythe works wonders with packs of mobs. A Hammer built for damage is absolutely sick against undead enemies, because it already comes with Smite built in, and if you upgrade that to full you'll have a absolute zombie grinder. Many of the mods that add dungeons have ramped up undead as bosses, so there's that. Cleavers have the highest base damage out of all TiCo weapons, starting at an whopping 10 damage if the large sword is made out of manyullin. But it swings sloooooow. So, best used to hunt for Wither Skeleton's heads while bumping it up to Looting 3 and however much Smite you can fit into it.

So, there isn't much to be said about the best sword for TiCo. Experiment and see what works best.

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
This is correct. I don't know what all of them are, but adamantine and tartarite are way better than any normal TiC metals. They both have durability way beyond normal materials. I made a mining hammer with the 2 metals and it has 74k durability . They have a higher mining speed than cobalt as well. I also made a sword with adamantine before I figured out tartarite is even higher tier. Not sure how much it would affect the attack damage.
Honestly, I'd rather use the nether metals for my weapons with ExtraTiC, assuming they assigned the stats so the match up with the Nether Metals from Metallurgy 3. Using the first metal(ignasomething) would light foes on fire without a need to add blaze powder, for example. Then there is Ender Metals(of which there are three metals and two ores; and one ore is only meant to be used in a alloy with the other ore but can be made into ingots if you must) which are actually pretty deadly as weapons IIRC.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I'd rather use the nether metals for my weapons with ExtraTiC, assuming they assigned the stats so the match up with the Nether Metals from Metallurgy 3. Using the first metal(ignasomething) would light foes on fire without a need to add blaze powder, for example. Then there is Ender Metals(of which there are three metals and two ores; and one ore is only meant to be used in a alloy with the other ore but can be made into ingots if you must) which are actually pretty deadly as weapons IIRC.
If there isn't vibranium I'm not using it.