Big Reactor .3 Turbines

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
So after making several designs trying to see what a Turbine maxes out at I came up with this.

WaWKYMw.png

80 Blades, takes the maximum 1750mb/t of Steam to turn the thing at the max 1800 RPM creating a maximum of 20,840RF (At mod default 1.0 settings)

Here's my problems, No matter what I try I can't pump the water into the Big Reactors fast enough to make the steam to move the Turbine legit. I've tried Ender IO's pipes, Thermal Expansion's fluiducts, Extra Utilties Nodes, but nothing seems to put water in them fast enough not even like 10% fast enough on a small reactor.

Reactions: kaovalin

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
If water isn't working(and you're using a lot of water input), try gelid cryotherium. I've heard it's great active reactors.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
I can't even Imagine how I could make that kind of Cryo. A tiny 5Wx5Hx8L reactor with 2 fuel rods is out producing the water of 12 Extra Utilies Nodes with a full stack of Speed Upgrades in them, even if it worked like it does in TE with Cryo being 10x as good as water, That would be like 5 buckets of Cryo per second just to get to were I'm currently at % wise.

*Few minutes later*

Well sadly Cryo doesn't seem to work at all. It will only accept water.

Edit: Finally capped out a tiny 2-rod Reactor. Look at this madness.

fJ7djO1.png

It needs 22 Extra Utility Nodes with maximum Speed Upgrades to keep up with this thing. :eek: There has to be a more efficient way to do this.

Edit #2:

It is done! Incredibly inefficiently due to poor liquid transport speeds but it looks semi-aesthetically appeasing.

pGKpBqJ.png

Uses about 1/1000 of a single Yellorium bar per second. Makes 20,800 RF/t. Requires 36 Extra Utilities Nodes with max Speed Upgrades to provide the Water for the Steam, and another 6 maxed Nodes to move the Steam to the Turbine.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
I can't even Imagine how I could make that kind of Cryo. A tiny 5Wx5Hx8L reactor with 2 fuel rods is out producing the water of 12 Extra Utilies Nodes with a full stack of Speed Upgrades in them, even if it worked like it does in TE with Cryo being 10x as good as water, That would be like 5 buckets of Cryo per second just to get to were I'm currently at % wise.

*Few minutes later*

fJ7djO1.png

It needs 22 Extra Utility Nodes with maximum Speed Upgrades to keep up with this thing. :eek: There has to be a more efficient way to do this.
Damn thats alot of gold and redstone. :eek:

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Why you don't place lots of stacks of Mining Upgrade into the Extra Utilities transfer nodes? They should be able to create at least 8 buckets/t, and with 20 speed upgrades, that will go really, really fast.

An even better solution, if you can't do that way, is to use Ender Tanks. When on Auto-output, they will output up to 16 buckets/t, and will receive up to 16buckets/t, placing a few transfer nodes into a few ender tanks with Mining Upgrades should do the trick.

Reactions: kaovalin and Sarda

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Why you don't place lots of stacks of Mining Upgrade into the Extra Utilities transfer nodes? They should be able to create at least 8 buckets/t, and with 20 speed upgrades, that will go really, really fast.

An even better solution, if you can't do that way, is to use Ender Tanks. When on Auto-output, they will output up to 16 buckets/t, and will receive up to 16buckets/t, placing a few transfer nodes into a few ender tanks with Mining Upgrades should do the trick.

Hmm didn't know mining upgrades did that. Beginning Refit! Holy crap this is a ton faster. Thanks :D

Edit: Wow this is way more effective. I only need a single EU Node with max Speed and Mining to water this 3-Rod Reactor.

XjcHlgT.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
You could also try to use tesseracts to transport the steam. Afaik they don't have transfer limits.

Reactions: Sarda

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm didn't know mining upgrades did that. Beginning Refit! Holy crap this is a ton faster. Thanks :D

Edit: Wow this is way more effective. I only need a single EU Node with max Speed and Mining to water this 3-Rod Reactor.

XjcHlgT.png
Lol Speed upgrades only help it search for inventories faster. Mining upgrade makes it pump more water. BIG difference I see.[DOUBLEPOST=1395547716][/DOUBLEPOST]
You could also try to use tesseracts to transport the steam. Afaik they don't have transfer limits.
This is correct as long as the machine will output directly into one as well as recieve directly from one. Soon as you add even the highest flowing pipes available, you slow down. Seems we are getting to a point where mods need to adjust scale. There are many mods showing up that can outdo everything we are used to. More liquid than any pipes can carry, more energy than any cable can carry, item pipes that can't keep of with the sheer amounts of materials some mods need/generate. Kinda curious as to what the mod community will answer with....

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
So I spent a day testing different models out.

zYKzE6A.png

The one in the bottom left is the best possible turbine you can make. Standing at 11H/11W/12L it has the max 80 blade surfaces spread across 5 fans (4 surfaces per blade), requires the full 2000 steam mb/t to produce 24,100 RF created by 37 Enderium Blocks spread across 5 sections of shaft in a 8/8/8/8/5 pattern. You can't fit another block of any type on it, this is the physical max with current BR tech.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

*Few minutes later*

fJ7djO1.png

Edit #2:

It is done! Incredibly inefficiently due to poor liquid transport speeds but it looks semi-aesthetically appeasing.

pGKpBqJ.png

Uses about 1/1000 of a single Yellorium bar per second. Makes 20,800 RF/t. Requires 36 Extra Utilities Nodes with max Speed Upgrades to provide the Water for the Steam, and another 6 maxed Nodes to move the Steam to the Turbine.
Stupid question: are those aqueous accumulators in the pond? If so, they only produce a tiny fraction of their water output unless they have two adjacent water blocks. Most of those don't seem to have two adjacent water blocks (another AA doesn't count as far as i know)

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Stupid question: are those aqueous accumulators in the pond? If so, they only produce a tiny fraction of their water output unless they have two adjacent water blocks. Most of those don't seem to have two adjacent water blocks (another AA doesn't count as far as i know)

Na. Those are ExtraUtil Nodes, At the time I didn't know Mining Speed upgrades made them provide more water, its not exactly well documented.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Saice made a short video on the newest big reactors and explains the basics mechanics of how much steam/blade surface you need.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
What RPM are you running those at?

The 'best one' at the bottom left one of the last picture runs at 1797 RPM because that's the max it could with max possible steam a turbine will accept, the others all ran at 1801ish. The single blade turbine in the top mid of the picture is spinning at 27,221 RPM for the lolz.

Reactions: kaovalin

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
When building a BigReactor for the purpose of steam production, does the cooling stack / i.e. the reactors pictured above all are ender cooled. Doesn't this actually reduce the amount of steam produced?

I guess: it it better to build actively cooled reactors with no air gaps - with air gaps - with coolant filled gaps?
Does an actively cooled reactor still output RF directly, or just steam?

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
When building a BigReactor for the purpose of steam production, does the cooling stack / i.e. the reactors pictured above all are ender cooled. Doesn't this actually reduce the amount of steam produced?

I guess: it it better to build actively cooled reactors with no air gaps - with air gaps - with coolant filled gaps?
Does an actively cooled reactor still output RF directly, or just steam?

It produces far more steam with the Ender then without and with the proper space between the fuel rods. I honestly can't explain it. You'd think that the opposite but its not. It only outputs steam in active reactor, no RF at all. A single small reactor like the above Middle one of the picture is capable of powering 2 of the largest turbines possible, making it a single block taller it can do nearly 3 turbines at 2000 mb/t each. They output massive steam. The current Reactor I'm using at the moment is a 6 rod version of that with the same length and height and its easily powering 4 of those large turbines with excess.