Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

idozodoesmc

Jul 29, 2019
Do you know how to run a FTB launcher on mac?[DOUBLEPOST=1394374612][/DOUBLEPOST]CAN SOMEONE HELP ME? I CANT RUN FEED THE BEAST ON MY MAC![DOUBLEPOST=1394374809][/DOUBLEPOST]HEY guys! I have no idea what FTB is! Can someone help me please

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Do you know how to run a FTB launcher on mac?[DOUBLEPOST=1394374612][/DOUBLEPOST]CAN SOMEONE HELP ME? I CANT RUN FEED THE BEAST ON MY MAC![DOUBLEPOST=1394374809][/DOUBLEPOST]HEY guys! I have no idea what FTB is! Can someone help me please
Spamming like that will get you nothing but banned from the forum.

A simple google search of "FTB mac" got me several pages of guides of how to install FTB on a mac. I have no clue on how to do it myself, but that is where I would start.

Also just going to http://www.feed-the-beast.com/
the very first thing you see is a description of what FTB is. A bit further down is the main download and just below that a link to details on where to get help on how to install it.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Just the fucking jar file. It's not that hard, just double-click, I do it every day >.<[DOUBLEPOST=1394376746][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, does anyone know if Vazkii is a boy or girl?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yeah nothing came up from it scanning for local hosts, so I just tried to "Add server" and punched in my own IP. Worked like a charm :p
Thanks though

In your case your ISP's DNS servers probably don't define "localhost"... Windows 8 (and probably 7 as well) assumes that it is defined by your DNS server and comments it out in your "hosts" file where it used to be defined by default.

TCP/ip loads your "hosts" file first and it overrides any DNS entries. The "hosts" file is the original method for matching computer names and URLs to IP addresses, but you have to manually enter new addresses you want to be able to access by name. You can edit "hosts" using notepad or another plain ascii editor.

NOTE: With Windows 7 & 8 (and possibly Vista) you will have to configure Windows Defender to bypass scanning the "hosts" file or it will decide that any changes were caused by malware and copy a default "hosts: file over your changes.

The "hosts" file is located in Windows/Systm32/drivers/etc and by default looks something like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

Notice the last two lines. The last line defines the loopback address for IPv6 as "localhost". (IPv6 is the new addressing standard being migrated to.)

127.0.0.1 is the IPv4 loopback address, also defined as "localhost". Both can be defined the same as each IP version will only use a valid address of it's type. Many ISPs provide support of both versions simultaneously (Comcast does in my area) so I can enable both lines.

To enable the appropriate line, simply delete the comment "# " from the beginning of the line.

You can use your hosts file to block unwanted sites by redefining their names as 127.0.0.1 (i.e. 127.0.0.1 www.malwaresource.org as an example) This works because the "hosts" file is the first place TCP/ip looks for a name translation.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
In your case your ISP's DNS servers probably don't define "localhost"... Windows 8 (and probably 7 as well) assumes that it is defined by your DNS server and comments it out in your "hosts" file where it used to be defined by default.

TCP/ip loads your "hosts" file first and it overrides any DNS entries. The "hosts" file is the original method for matching computer names and URLs to IP addresses, but you have to manually enter new addresses you want to be able to access by name. You can edit "hosts" using notepad or another plain ascii editor.

NOTE: With Windows 7 & 8 (and possibly Vista) you will have to configure Windows Defender to bypass scanning the "hosts" file or it will decide that any changes were caused by malware and copy a default "hosts: file over your changes.

The "hosts" file is located in Windows/Systm32/drivers/etc and by default looks something like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

Notice the last two lines. The last line defines the loopback address for IPv6 as "localhost". (IPv6 is the new addressing standard being migrated to.)

127.0.0.1 is the IPv4 loopback address, also defined as "localhost". Both can be defined the same as each IP version will only use a valid address of it's type. Many ISPs provide support of both versions simultaneously (Comcast does in my area) so I can enable both lines.

To enable the appropriate line, simply delete the comment "# " from the beginning of the line.

You can use your hosts file to block unwanted sites by redefining their names as 127.0.0.1 (i.e. 127.0.0.1 www.malwaresource.org as an example) This works because the "hosts" file is the first place TCP/ip looks for a name translation.
No I meant when the game by default scanned for local lan hosts :p Didn't even try the "localhost" thing. Tried typing in the IP directly first.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Sorry about the reply then... I saw "localhost" and, well, you know the saying, except I spelled it "Assme".

There's no place like 127.0.0.1 :D

pAznik

Jul 29, 2019
Hi!
I just started to play Monster pack, and i found some tower that has something like ''abandoned mine'' below. Part of which mod is this?
I noticed that i'm quite excited, so I was wondering, is there any other mod that add some similar buildings?

PS:bad english in action :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hi!
I just started to play Monster pack, and i found some tower that has something like ''abandoned mine'' below. Part of which mod is this?
I noticed that i'm quite excited, so I was wondering, is there any other mod that add some similar buildings?

PS:bad english in action :)
That sounds like a Roguelike Dungeon

If you want more of that stuff, then the only thing that immediately springs to mind that is already in Monster is the Twilight forest that is filled with all kinds of interesting structures to explore.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
How does the Project Red comparator work? The wiki article is empty.
Confusingly.

I think this is sort of how it works:

The "input" takes in a redstone signal of some strength. From the perspective of that input, one of the sides can take another redstone signal input. If its the one marked "Neg" when you mouseover it, it performs in "subtraction" mode. If into the other side, it performs in "comparison" mode.

In subtraction mode, it will return (to the output side, opposite the input) the difference of the two signals, and I've used this to make winding industrial coils a bit safer under the new explosive coils rules.

In comparison mode, I think it returns the higher of the two signals.

Functionally, it should be the same as the vanilla http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Redstone_Comparator

Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

ZeCowMan

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone who is also running Advanced Machines for IC2 know if there's a way to prevent or fix the issue with fiber cable becoming disconnected every time you exit the game? I've resorted to having quick access hatches so I can break and replace them but I was wondering if there was an actual fix?

TheGreekMnan2

Jul 29, 2019
xD You don't have to tell me. I was doing it in my last world. I think I may have made it look like I have a lot less than I actually do. I tend to worry about having available resources first so I build a bunch of things like generators (cobblestone, obsidian, glass, etc.), ore processing systems, energy production/storage and massive item storage first so I end up having a ridiculous amount of resources before I start venturing out into other mods that I've never really messed with (one of those being MFFS). I'm not quite sure what it is, but I kind of enjoy the grind of getting that ridiculous amount of resources more than anything else. Unfortunately, I never get to anything else because something will always happen to my world during that process and I have to start fresh (which I sometimes look forward to). This time is different, though.. I've been getting myself to do a bunch of stuff that I don't normally do such as build towns and make projects for myself... plus backing up after every session or even multiple times if it's a long session so nothing happens to this world.

Anywho.. got a bit off track there. xD Yeah, I can totally do an MFFS system, I've just never really looked into and tried to learn the mod. However, I think I'm going to grind through Thaumcraft since the ability to ward blocks is ultimately what I'm after since it allows me to be creative with designs.

Again, thank you guys for your help. :p

The part the makes the warding focus so appealing is giving me the ability to make any block into a warded block so I can go crazy making cool designs with different kinds and colors of bricks. It's really because I want to build a really cool arena. I might think of a way to incorporate MFFS into it as well.
if you need to make hugely compressed cobble use igneous extruders. the more the quicker and with about 30 of those you can get all the cobble you need in no time

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
if you need to make hugely compressed cobble use igneous extruders. the more the quicker and with about 30 of those you can get all the cobble you need in no time
Extra utilities item transfer noses with full mining and speed upgrades is sooooo much faster then igneous extruders

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Does anyone who is also running Advanced Machines for IC2 know if there's a way to prevent or fix the issue with fiber cable becoming disconnected every time you exit the game? I've resorted to having quick access hatches so I can break and replace them but I was wondering if there was an actual fix?
You could set up a Online detector from random things to trigger a block breaker+blockplacer to replace the cable each time you logged in :p

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

It sounds like the cables just need a block update to be fixed. I could be wrong as I don't even have IC2 in my world, but I have heard that their cables will sometimes disconnect, requiring a block update to fix.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
An igneous extruder takes 2.5 secs to make 1 cobble. Using 30 of them it would take 41.5 days of playtime to make a single octuple compressed cobblestone.