Highlands, ExtraBiomesXL, ATG, Biomes o' Plenty or Vanilla? (Poll Included)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Highlands, ExtraBiomesXL or Biomes o' Plenty

• Total voters

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
BoP Canyons are my favorite. I'm building a whole town with my other players on the server. Its only the first week but its going well. Its only failing to me is that there are plenty of biomes I just dont care for, and it takes a while to really judge which ones will fit in the overworld. Having everything enabled is just bad for overworlds IMO. Mystcraft ages are perfect for people who disagree with my choices.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Its not that I live underground.
Its that, most of the vanilla biomes are habitable. So, if I start a game I can pretty much settle at spawn. And, various mods that add specialized biomes (TC4's magical forest) are appropriately represented.

Ive toyed with ebxl, bop and highlands, and ive found that (1) all the extra textures cause MC to run out of memory (2) the biomes are bloody gorgeous, but I always move to a plains type biome to actually build my house as the rest are either full of water, hazards, lack resources or, while "fantastic looking" are just not the place build a castle. and (3) tend to be full of trees whose saplings don't work with forestry.

So, with vanilla biomes I can
1. find a simple biome that will accent rather than overwhelm my build.
2. explore for, and find, vanilla world gen like jungle & desert temples.
3. Expect to find enough vanilla plains biomes to find Thaumcrafts barrows dens
4. Expect to find enough vanilla hilly biomes to find Thaumcrafts obsidian altars
5. Find reasonably quantities of buildcraft, railcraft (and other mod) world gen that is specific to vanilla biomes.

I just don't see the point of adding 100+ biomes when, from my build, I can see at most 3 biomes and the other 197+ biomes are only visible when I go exploring, and while they look gorgeous, get in the way of me finding "actual content" (temples etc).

Reactions: RedBoss and Pip69

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
BoP, simply because I can raise the landmass percentage. Going through oceans is something that gets boring really fast.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Its not that I live underground.
Its that, most of the vanilla biomes are habitable. So, if I start a game I can pretty much settle at spawn. And, various mods that add specialized biomes (TC4's magical forest) are appropriately represented.

Ive toyed with ebxl, bop and highlands, and ive found that (1) all the extra textures cause MC to run out of memory (2) the biomes are bloody gorgeous, but I always move to a plains type biome to actually build my house as the rest are either full of water, hazards, lack resources or, while "fantastic looking" are just not the place build a castle. and (3) tend to be full of trees whose saplings don't work with forestry.

So, with vanilla biomes I can
1. find a simple biome that will accent rather than overwhelm my build.
2. explore for, and find, vanilla world gen like jungle & desert temples.
3. Expect to find enough vanilla plains biomes to find Thaumcrafts barrows dens
4. Expect to find enough vanilla hilly biomes to find Thaumcrafts obsidian altars
5. Find reasonably quantities of buildcraft, railcraft (and other mod) world gen that is specific to vanilla biomes.

I just don't see the point of adding 100+ biomes when, from my build, I can see at most 3 biomes and the other 197+ biomes are only visible when I go exploring, and while they look gorgeous, get in the way of me finding "actual content" (temples etc).
Meh, I find building based on my surroundings a lot more exciting and difficult to accomplish. If I land in a canyon, I might dig out my house into the wall of the canyon and decorate the interior and the exterior leading into my base with red, orange, and like colored blocks. If I land into a Cherry Blossom grove, the goal might be to make a floral like structure to accent the trees and feel. I agree in that it's difficult to build the base you want in the large amount of biomes out there, but rather than being the standard Steve dictator and tearing down everything in sight to fit yourself, you can try and build around the biomes available.

Reactions: Padfoote

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla. I play on a laptop and it really doesn't like it Minecraft much. I used to use BoP, and edit the configs heavily, but I got tired of doing that.

Overmorrow

Jul 29, 2019
Highlands is great and I've seen a lot of amazing biomes when using this mod, I use it in my world along with...
Biomes O Plenty, which adds a lot of stuff I deem as "useless" such as ugly biomes, hard to traverse or build nice things in, but when you want to go exploring this is definitely the one that makes it interesting.
ExtraBiomesXL adds a lot of great biomes, although so few are really interesting or unique. I enjoy building in some of the biomes, and the trees and plants can be interesting, but that's not enough for me to use this mod over others.
Alternate Terrain Generation is beautiful, but a resource hog. From the times I've used it, I have adored seeing the high mountains and wonderful terrain, however it's been a little annoying walking over most of it, and it gets a bit same-y after a while of wondering around. It can be a lot tougher to find the biomes you want, and especially to find a good building spot.
Vanilla was getting boring for me personally, but the latest biome updates really made it interesting to me, despite not having played with it much (from lack of mods). Hopefully I'll get a better chance to play some time.

Reactions: RealSketch

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, I find building based on my surroundings a lot more exciting and difficult to accomplish. If I land in a canyon, I might dig out my house into the wall of the canyon and decorate the interior and the exterior leading into my base with red, orange, and like colored blocks. If I land into a Cherry Blossom grove, the goal might be to make a floral like structure to accent the trees and feel. I agree in that it's difficult to build the base you want in the large amount of biomes out there, but rather than being the standard Steve dictator and tearing down everything in sight to fit yourself, you can try and build around the biomes available.

I'm doing exactly that in my canyon now. Only using blocks that jive with the biome on the outside. Subsequent underground floors will have their own themes however. Need to change it up.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
I like extrabiomesEL by far. It add's in a lot of nice biomes but don't go insainly overboard like say with biomes'o'plenty. With BOP I end up disabling most of the biomes as some are just 'what' and look very out of place. Yet it also has some stunning biomes as well, but still EBEL is my top pick.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
BoP is really quite popular judging by comments and the results of the poll so far.
May I ask why those who use BoP like it and use it? As far as I'm aware, Highlands is the best for survival, BoP for mystery and creative worlds then EXBL is really good for servers and mod support.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, BoP adds a bunch of biomes and I find it fun to try and settle in a biome I never did before and try and make a house that matches the biome. It helps me to think more and definitely improves my building capabilities. Also, it became super boring to use a filler to clear everything out before building another castle or mansion.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I use BoP because I like all the variety and attention to detail. Makes for some great exploration. There are only 2 biomes I disable in that mod, compared with EXBL where 25% or more were disabled due to being too "samey".
It's also great to use if you want a themed game. Try surviving in a wasteland type setting, that makes things more tricky.
Never used Highlands, being satisfied with BoP, and while ATG goes for more realism in landscape structure, that just means larger landscape features to get past, which just slows things down if you are exploring or trying to find a perfect spot to build.

I also use it with a texture pack (Misa for more natural less saturated colours, then my own textures to try and match misa's) and everything looks amazing.

On the subject of builds, I always only use "local" materials to construct a build. Usually only the resources I can see within view distance. Stops every build being the same, and can result in some unexpected design decisions.

Reactions: RealSketch

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
i haven't touched EBXL since ultimate. there was a nasty bug regarding the new biomes and apiaries.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
BoP is simply better right now, its not really even up for debate given the fact BoP and EBXL and HL are fine running together.

ATG needs work. He has the right idea but its poorly put into action.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla. No contest.

It seems to me that Highlands used to not add biomes but, rather, made everything more mountainous. I would love that. Of course that could just be related to my failing memory.