Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to derail, but...

This is precisely the reason I will NEVER EVER install Tapatalk on any device I ever own. Screw having an application automatically add its own signature to anything I post.
Secretly?

I like being able to show off my sexy, sexy phone with it =P

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dreaming

Jul 29, 2019
I have started a new game on Monster 1.0.8 and really like my world gen. I started a base in a nice location, but have found about 7-8 chunks west there is Thaumcraft 4 Taint.

I have no idea what to do about this and am worried it will spread and destroy my home.

• Is 7 chunks too close for comfort?
  • How can I stop or destroy the Taint?

The wiki says I need silverwood or shimmerleaf, but I haven't found any magic biomes yet and haven't even started on Thaumcraft research.

Last edited:

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Either cheat some in, or just go and explore the world until you find some silverwood trees.

And is it Taint biomes or eriee (something like this) biomes with something like a Obsidian totem in them? Because the Taint biome will spread while the chunks are loaded, and I think 7 chunks away is not far enough

Dreaming

Jul 29, 2019
It's definitely taint, I could see it growing when I was looking round it and so tried to keep away in the hope I wouldn't allow the taint to grow.

I don't want to cheat because in a way the challenge of combating it is fun in itself. I was just hoping there was a way to combat it without having to go right up the TC4 research tree (I honestly find it baffling but at the same time don't want to cheat with the wiki), and then go exploring to try to find some silverwood or shimmerleaf.

Feels a bit onerous tbh, like there should be some 'Null stone' or something that can be made out some inert material that prevent taint spreading past it, as an early measure to defend yourself / your base from it before the later destruction of the taint with pure nodes.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You can inhibit the taint spread, but it's a lot of repetitive work.

Basically, taint is spread by the tendrils. They grow onto a block and then, while they are on that block, the block slowly transforms and eventually changes its biome type to tainted land. As a result, if you regularly clear out the tendrils (by punching them for instance), the spread will be greatly inhibited. The downside is... they regrow over time.

Dreaming

Jul 29, 2019
Ah okay, thanks for that. I've had a look here: http://thaumcrafttwo.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Taint

And it seems to indicate that simply building a cobble wall will contain the taint in the short term. The problem is the taint is already spread across around 7 chunks and I have literally just started so don't really have the tools or time to break down blocks faster than the taint can spread I think.

Should be a good challenge :)

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Being almost 30, you'd think I wouldn't consistently find comments about taint so funny.

Ah, well. Inhibit the taint spread. Hehehe.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: HeffronCM

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Ah okay, thanks for that. I've had a look here: http://thaumcrafttwo.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Taint

And it seems to indicate that simply building a cobble wall will contain the taint in the short term. The problem is the taint is already spread across around 7 chunks and I have literally just started so don't really have the tools or time to break down blocks faster than the taint can spread I think.

Should be a good challenge :)
That article is referring to Thaumcraft 2 taint. Thaumcraft 4 taint is an entirely different beast. Certain chunks will be generated as 'tainted' They won't start completely covered with it, but it will very quickly consume that entire chunk. Once it has, it will not expand quickly at all. Taint spreads outside of it's native chunks VERY slowly. It's best measured in real-time weeks, IIRC.

To eradicate it, research Etheral Blooms which will require Shimmerleaf. However, don't worry too much. You've got plenty of time to get to that research and find the materials.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
So I made a Luggage, but it apparently doesnt work in my treehouse home with all my fences. How do I remove it from the world and just store it in a chest, never to be used again?

Failing that, if I expose the Luggage to lava will it explode and die or does it not matter at this point in time?

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
So I made a Luggage, but it apparently doesnt work in my treehouse home with all my fences. How do I remove it from the world and just store it in a chest, never to be used again?

Failing that, if I expose the Luggage to lava will it explode and die or does it not matter at this point in time?
Shift-Right click the luggage

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
That article is referring to Thaumcraft 2 taint. Thaumcraft 4 taint is an entirely different beast. Certain chunks will be generated as 'tainted' They won't start completely covered with it, but it will very quickly consume that entire chunk. Once it has, it will not expand quickly at all. Taint spreads outside of it's native chunks VERY slowly. It's best measured in real-time weeks, IIRC.

To eradicate it, research Etheral Blooms which will require Shimmerleaf. However, don't worry too much. You've got plenty of time to get to that research and find the materials.
this.

Im having quite a few problems with dimension hopping and minimaps with respect to taint.

reis and opis don't like updating. reis only did when I completely left the overworld and came back.
also related to the dimension hop, a couple chunks not totally converted, but with a few spots of taint biome suddenly became full taint chunks.

regular spread is off by default, mod author has 1/1000 chance per update as default, which is glacial.

7 chunks is fine. heck, two would be fine.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
Quicky Q: Is there away to load up MCPATCHER with BW20's modpack? I want my packs connected textures, biome coloring and added pretty stuff for a lets play.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
That, or it's the monochrome version: Black&White20 :D
Is it bad every time I see your name, I think of these:
pork-hombow.jpg

They serve some of the best hom bows at Pike's Place.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy