Getting started in Magic Farm 2

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Marconos

Jul 29, 2019
I do have a weird problem with my 100% leveled pickaxe. It has 2 modifiers assigned and 2 open .... but when I try to upgrade the fortune on it it doesn't work. It used to have fortune on it twice, neither leveled up to 450. I also had a shovel that was at 128% of level still going up but wouldn't level. Something happened and it's working again now.

Enjoying the pack all in all. For the start I have found the following works very well for me.

1. Kill 3 sheep and make a bed, this is what determines success or failure for me.
2. Wander the world looking for a place with gravel, sand and clay.
3. Pick berries TONS of berries, not to mention rhubarb and Rutabegas
4. Gather any of those Natura berry bushes you find (those things are OP in this pack as you'll see for food)
5. Once you find your "base" area get now you make your 1st tools (none before this, just dig up some flint in that gravel).
6. Plant those berry bushes you gathered and get mats for your smeltry, copper and aluminum.
7. Get some stone, make a furnance and cook 3 piece of cobble.
8. Make a juicer for your berries. (It doubles there food output).
9. Make juice from your berries, the growth rate and regen rate on the berry bushes will be enough to feed you 100% in about 10 in game days. Until then you are foraging.
10. You have food now, smeltrey going, rest is cake. Berries make it easy (so if you are like me and want the challenge, don't use 'em ... MUCH harder).

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I do have a weird problem with my 100% leveled pickaxe. It has 2 modifiers assigned and 2 open .... but when I try to upgrade the fortune on it it doesn't work. It used to have fortune on it twice, neither leveled up to 450. I also had a shovel that was at 128% of level still going up but wouldn't level. Something happened and it's working again now.

Yeah I have had a few oddball reports like that. Hoping @IguanaMan might know more about it.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Nope. None of the vanilla picks can mine much of anything. Which funnily enough almost makes the turtles balanced in MF.
So to "fix" that, I guess I should change the pickaxeoverrides setting on item 278 to something higher than 1. *Edit* Yeah, that worked, I set it to 5. I know this isn't in keeping with the MF design aesthetic but I do like my turtles.

Last edited:

Marconos

Jul 29, 2019
I "think" I have figured out a pattern with the weird enchants on the leveled up items. It appears that the ones that you add to the item have issues when the tool upgrades. If you add fortune to a pick, it then levels up and gets a bonus enchant of fortune you then have two of them, it doesn't advance the level to fortune 2. As well when you add an enchant one of the fortunes will "disappear".

Now with my current pick I see the enchants that were bonus added and the ones that I added to the pick are no longer visible through the table, though the effects still stay on the pick. I was event able to upgrade the fortune on the pick that wasn't visible. Maybe that information helps with figuring out the issue.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I "think" I have figured out a pattern with the weird enchants on the leveled up items. It appears that the ones that you add to the item have issues when the tool upgrades.
I have never been able to modify a tool. All modifiers are automatically assigned every time a tool levels . If I want Silk Touch, I will just have to keep making and levelling tools until I get it. Unless, maybe Thaumium has spare modifiers? Or are those removed my Iguana?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I have never been able to modify a tool. All modifiers are automatically assigned every time a tool levels . If I want Silk Touch, I will just have to keep making and levelling tools until I get it. Unless, maybe Thaumium has spare modifiers? Or are those removed my Iguana?

Something odd is occuring there. I have been playing for the last 3 days, I have leveled 3 hammers, 3 picks 1 excavator and a lumber axe and added modifiers to each of them when a modifier slot opened trough leveling.I haven't had any issues aside from the odd "it lists each level of haste/luck seperatly."

Marconos

Jul 29, 2019
The modifiers that appear twice. When I get that one of them disappears when I try to upgrade it or the tool levels again. Not always but generally that happens.

NEURG1

Jul 29, 2019
I found this graveyard, and i took a lot of the things from the graves, and now i want to go inside the building. when i started in the first time, it became nighttime, and everything went bad. what should i expect in it, and what should i bring? i have a diamond sword and bodyarmur, from a dungeon and a boss. i reasearched it, and it said that the hardest wither boss wass in it.

thaile4ever

Jul 29, 2019
Lots of hidden spawners. Potion/Deadfall traps, etc. Personally I treat it as a CTM map dungeon and slowly clear one room at a time.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I've got myself set up nicely, plenty of farms, some Thermal Expansion infrastructure, but I miss automatic mining. I've added ComputerCraft and MiscPeripherals, but mining turtles are badly nerfed, they can't mine redstone or obsidian or diamonds. What can I do to enable that? I've looked through the IguanaTweaks config but I can't see anything obvious.

I actually like the lack of automatic mining in MagicFarm2. I mean, it's supposed to be Magic...and Farmy. For that to happen, Tech and Industrialization should take a backseat.

As for automatic resources, there's always the MFR laser and bees, and for automation in general, there's itemducts, golems, and AE.

NEURG1

Jul 29, 2019
thanks thaile4ever. mine has a few of the rooms exposed through a river and a cave system. where will all of the chests be if any, and should i expect mobs in the same room? how many room should there be?

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019
I found this graveyard, and i took a lot of the things from the graves, and now i want to go inside the building. when i started in the first time, it became nighttime, and everything went bad. what should i expect in it, and what should i bring? i have a diamond sword and bodyarmur, from a dungeon and a boss. i reasearched it, and it said that the hardest wither boss wass in it.

I discovered one of these recently.

It's very much a Vechs hostile map, in miniature. Great loot to be found, but also a wither. Be very careful around lava, keep particles on to find hidden spawners. You'll need a good supply of gear and tonnes of food. It's actually surprisingly massive. Took me a good couple of hours to clear it.

I filled two of the best strongboxes with loot. Chests are everywhere, and so are tonnes of monsters.

If you find you run out of weapons, dig up the sword graves for armor and tools. There's iron, chainmail and diamond ones scattered around.

If you see a creeper statue, look up. There'll be an emerald or diamond block.

Kurodani Yamame

Jul 29, 2019
Enabled all Biomes in BoP, Added Ars magicka 2, Better Villages, Taumic Exploration and I almost got Aether 2 to work, but I'm having a blast xD

If you do add Ars magicka 2, or even get lucky with a spawn in any forest or plains or mountains, you're going to be able to do a LOT of foraging, very easily. My advice: Turn on all of the BoP Biomes. If you're unlucky, you end up in a wasteland surrounded with a volcano. If you get lucky, you'll be in a Magic Forest/Mystic Grove/ Witchwood forest, with more than enough wood than you'd ever need.

Another good tip, Mattock. just asap, until you can gather the materials to create a Hoe of Growth. Made one out of Stone, works rather well.

No major complaints, except just not really having room to store everything, and I find that's because I'm too lazy to gather a lot more spare wood, even though I know I'll need it xD

penguin055

Jul 29, 2019
Enabled all Biomes in BoP, Added Ars magicka 2, Better Villages, Taumic Exploration and I almost got Aether 2 to work, but I'm having a blast xD

If you do add Ars magicka 2, or even get lucky with a spawn in any forest or plains or mountains, you're going to be able to do a LOT of foraging, very easily. My advice: Turn on all of the BoP Biomes. If you're unlucky, you end up in a wasteland surrounded with a volcano. If you get lucky, you'll be in a Magic Forest/Mystic Grove/ Witchwood forest, with more than enough wood than you'd ever need.

Another good tip, Mattock. just asap, until you can gather the materials to create a Hoe of Growth. Made one out of Stone, works rather well.

No major complaints, except just not really having room to store everything, and I find that's because I'm too lazy to gather a lot more spare wood, even though I know I'll need it xD
Made a mattock out of stone? You shouldn't be able to make anything out of stone. You must've messed up IguanaTweaks or something, because that shoudn't be possible.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Made a mattock out of stone? You shouldn't be able to make anything out of stone. You must've messed up IguanaTweaks or something, because that shoudn't be possible.

I'm having a feeling he mixed up MagicFarm with MagicWorld :p

Kurodani Yamame

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I turned IguanaTweaks off >.>

After having multiple issues with multiple different mods, I turned it off. I left allof the other mods active, of course, but after several game breaking issues with MF1, I automatically turned it off in MF2

werko

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I turned IguanaTweaks off >.>

After having multiple issues with multiple different mods, I turned it off. I left allof the other mods active, of course, but after several game breaking issues with MF1, I automatically turned it off in MF2

It works great in MF2 and adds quite a lot to the game, you should really try it (only thing not leveling properly is the chisel).

mrbaggins

Jul 29, 2019

You're not really playing magic farm at that point... Especially with iguana turned off.