Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarda

Jul 29, 2019
Ironically, the first time I blew anything up IC2 related was because I had no idea how to use buildcraft engines properly and one of them exploded near my IC2 machines while I was off mining. Then later on I found out buildcraft pipes try to explode but couldn't, so they just kept trying if you happened to be feeding a loop of pipes over a bunch of recyclers in a never-ending orgy of explosions. It was gloriously bad for fps.

Watching thermal generators (gregtech) catch fire in the rain was hilarious.

I'm pretty sure the only time I ever blew up something ic2-related was with gregtech's centrifuge and industrial blast furnace. They kept complaining about low power so I'm like, fuck it, here's all the power. Boom.

You'd be a great Kerbal engineer. lol

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ironically, the first time I blew anything up IC2 related was because I had no idea how to use buildcraft engines properly and one of them exploded near my IC2 machines while I was off mining. Then later on I found out buildcraft pipes try to explode but couldn't, so they just kept trying if you happened to be feeding a loop of pipes over a bunch of recyclers in a never-ending orgy of explosions. It was gloriously bad for fps.

Watching thermal generators (gregtech) catch fire in the rain was hilarious.

I'm pretty sure the only time I ever blew up something ic2-related was with gregtech's centrifuge and industrial blast furnace. They kept complaining about low power so I'm like, fuck it, here's all the power. Boom.
I noticed that about GT machines in the 1.5/early 1.6 days, myself. I feed them the exact amount of power the tooltip says they can handle, on a freaking dedicated energy line (starting off at a MFSU), making sure that the total draw from the machines on that line doesn't exceed the maximum output of said MFSU, and they would still bitch about not having enough power! And, before anybody asks, I checked the MFSU when they'd complain, and it was almost always above half mast. Mostly because I tend to over-engineer my power network because I'm incredibly anal and worry about my workshop shutting down mid-operation.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed that about GT machines in the 1.5/early 1.6 days, myself. I feed them the exact amount of power the tooltip says they can handle, on a freaking dedicated energy line (starting off at a MFSU), making sure that the total draw from the machines on that line doesn't exceed the maximum output of said MFSU, and they would still bitch about not having enough power! And, before anybody asks, I checked the MFSU when they'd complain, and it was almost always above half mast. Mostly because I tend to over-engineer my power network because I'm incredibly anal and worry about my workshop shutting down mid-operation.

Did you account for the energy loss of the cable between the battery and machine? Also sometimes the machine will report it doesnt have enough energy when it does. This will happen because it hasnt refreshed the GUI since it last was insufficiently powered. Just have to wait for the first run to finish (this was very misleading to me at first too).

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I always used glass fibre by the time I got to working with GT, that's the thing. I never used a length of wire from power source to machine longer than...5-7 blocks, and certainly not over 40 blocks, so the loss was well into the point of being completely negligible. It also didn't help that, by default, a GT machine just loses all progress if the power line is insufficient. It wasn't a case of a misleading GUI, just an irritating default and finnicky system. Thankfully, Greg seems to have fixed it as of...quite some time ago.

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Forum logic
Most threads that have only 1% to do with gregtech become a GT vs Tcon/whatever.

Ontopic:
I like it, i still like ic2. But thats because i played it since its IC days. So it has a special place for me.

Reactions: RedBoss

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
I put it in my own personal pack before realizing what it has become..

I used to play Mindcrack Pack with my wife a while back and eventually we stopped playing. Last week I decided to make my own personal "upgraded" Mindcrack Pack for my wife and I to play with.

After realizing that you needed to make plates to craft iron+ quality tools, I'm sorry I put it in.

Which is a real shame, and that says a lot coming from a person who installs GT hardmode on purpose.

I am not bashing GT. I know that these are IC2 changes.

I liked IC2 and GT in 1.4.7 because it provided long-term goals. I liked earning my mining laser, jetpack, lappack, diamond drill, and the multi-block high-tier machines.

Those are the same reasons I included them in my new pack. I still wanted my laser, drill, and everything else.

But, hell, I'm not sure they're worth it for having these vanilla tool recipes.

I'm all for complexity, but FFS the bronze/iron/steel tools do not last long enough for such a tedious recipe. I will go though 3-4 iron picks in a caving session. I don't want to have to tote around 4 picks or use 3 extra slots to tote around the plates, hammer, and file.

My wife doesn't even want to play the pack with me anymore. And I don't blame her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I put it in my own personal pack before realizing what it has become..

I used to play Mindcrack Pack with my wife a while back and eventually we stopped playing. Last week I decided to make my own personal "upgraded" Mindcrack Pack for my wife and I to play with.

After realizing that you needed to make plates to craft iron+ quality tools, I'm sorry I put it in.

Which is a real shame, and that says a lot coming from a person who installs GT hardmode on purpose.

I am not bashing GT. I know that these are IC2 changes.

I liked IC2 and GT in 1.4.7 because it provided long-term goals. I liked earning my mining laser, jetpack, lappack, diamond drill, and the multi-block high-tier machines.

Those are the same reasons I included them in my new pack. I still wanted my laser, drill, and everything else.

But, hell, I'm not sure they're worth it for having these vanilla tool recipes.

I'm all for complexity, but FFS the bronze/iron/steel tools do not last long enough for such a tedious recipe. I will go though 3-4 iron picks in a caving session. I don't want to have to tote around 4 picks or use 3 extra slots to tote around the plates, hammer, and file.

My wife doesn't even want to play the pack with me anymore. And I don't blame her.

Try exploring some new mods. Venture into magic or maybe add some UE mods or Mekanism. Try to mix it up a little to keep from getting repetitive.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
Try exploring some new mods. Venture into magic or maybe add some UE mods or Mekanism. Try to mix it up a little to keep from getting repetitive.
I have started digging deep into Thaumcraft 4 as a result, and Thaumcraft was one of the mods I never messed with in the original pack.

Edit: Not to derail the thread or anything, but is there an option in the IC2 configs to use vanilla recipes? Or at the very least any way to increase durability of tools to offset the ridiculous new recipes?

Last edited:

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I have started digging deep into Thaumcraft 4 as a result, and Thaumcraft was one of the mods I never messed with in the original pack.

Edit: Not to derail the thread or anything, but is there an option in the IC2 configs to use vanilla recipes? Or at the very least any way to increase durability of tools to offset the ridiculous new recipes?

That's good. TC4 is really great. One of the few mods that could standalone (better with Thaumic Tinkerer though).

Unfortunately not. At least not to my knowledge. I think it'd be bad for them to use alternate recipes anyway. I can't think of anyway they could and it would surely undermine all of their previous works.

SkyBoy96

Jul 29, 2019
I thought it was GT that changed the iron tool recipies? Did IC2 think that was a great idea, and implement it themselves?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I really enjoy IC2. I do. But I feel like there aren't nearly enough energy uses,So I got into buildcraft. Then I Got to endgame and started toying with AE and TE.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I really enjoy IC2. I do. But I feel like there aren't nearly enough energy uses,So I got into buildcraft. Then I Got to endgame and started toying with AE and TE.
Ae can be powered by EU... That's a use and the mass fab. That's your power sink

snooder

Jul 29, 2019

Back in the day (1.2.5) IC2 used to be have the best power architecture. Not only mass fabs, but teleporters, MFFS and overclocked advanced machines for instant processing. You'd be surprised at just how much power a rotary macerator with 12 overclockers could draw. Back in the day my preferred playstyle was rushing straight for geothermal, then getting an MFE asap so I could power a nanosuit. I'd either drain the nether or usually just drain any overworld lava lakes nearby. This would hold up until I could get an infinite loop with blaze rods to generate EMC, usually with overclocked macerators for best efficiency. I'd siphon a bit of the EMC to make lava cells and use that to power the base. Which in turn let me put in more overclockers and more macerators, leading to more and more geothermals until I'd eventually have a giant wall of like 100 geothermals. BC was generally used in spots, just to power a quarry, or in conjunction with converters and teleport pipes to transfer power.

Personally, I didn't switch to BC for the bulk of my power until Gregtech made macerators hard to craft, and I had to start using pulverizers instead. That got me into TE, and from there BC became my early game power source. Then I started messing with ExtraBees, and BC became the late game power source too.

Reactions: [JBG]Magikarp

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the now useless mass fab and AE which can be powered with anything else just fine.
I loved powering my AE network with solars, because then I never had to worry about accidentally losing access to all of my stuff.

Actually, I'm in the process right now of trying to set up some ET solars for that reason, although I'm not likely to run out of refined fuel anytime this century.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.