Ender Trap the super basic I need ender pearls but just started my world mob system

zenkmander

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. I've been using this method for a few in-game nights now and I haven't been seeing any endermen unfortunately. Once I see a decent amount of other mobs I'll go down and reset it, but still no endermen.

Edit: I didn't build a roof over the spawn area. Is that necessary for it to work?

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
some alternate solutions for 1.6.4:

if you have ganys mods (gany's end, gany's nether, ganys surface) one of them adds a recipe that gives you 8 pearls if you combine any 2 mob heads side by side in crafting grid. (FTB Horizons has this)
if you have magical crops, you can grow the essence needed to make pearls. you can also grow a creeper crop, which gives you mob heads to do the above recipe (if you have ganys mods + magical crops) (Also FTB Horizons)
if you have extra utilities (Direwolf20 pack for 1.6.4 has this), it adds an ender lily. it can be planted on dirt (grows very slowly), but you really need to do it on end stone (grows much faster). grows an ender pearl and drops seeds to replant lily. have not tried ender lily's yet, dunno how well this works.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. I've been using this method for a few in-game nights now and I haven't been seeing any endermen unfortunately. Once I see a decent amount of other mobs I'll go down and reset it, but still no endermen.

Edit: I didn't build a roof over the spawn area. Is that necessary for it to work?

No just needs three air blocks high to work. Might be a mod you have lowering their spawn rate?[DOUBLEPOST=1388373614][/DOUBLEPOST]
if you have extra utilities (Direwolf20 pack for 1.6.4 has this), it adds an ender lily. it can be planted on dirt (grows very slowly), but you really need to do it on end stone (grows much faster). grows an ender pearl and drops seeds to replant lily. have not tried ender lily's yet, dunno how well this works.

The lilies are fairly decent if you can find them. They also will drop extra seeds once in a blue moon if you grow them on end stone so you can expand that as you go.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
The lilies are fairly decent if you can find them.

dunno how, but when i started a new world, first biome i found was a magic forest. and in the middle of it was an eerie biome with a temple, sorta like the jungle temples, but this one had a weird aura node in it. bottom had 3 chests, got 10 seeds from that.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
dunno how, but when i started a new world, first biome i found was a magic forest. and in the middle of it was an eerie biome with a temple, sorta like the jungle temples, but this one had a weird aura node in it. bottom had 3 chests, got 10 seeds from that.

RNG is RNG

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
I have a couple of small tips to add, if nobody minds;

1 - you can cut the resource cost of the spawning platform and its roof in half if you convert your building material in half slabs. Same for the waiting room and the walkway.
Make sure you place the half slabs correctly. Mobs can spawn on half slabs, as long as it is also the border of a full block. So place the slabs you want mobs to spawn on on the top half of the block-space they occupy.

2 - With a TiC lumber axe you can gather wood faster than cobble. Especially if you have jungle trees around, or even better, some of the larger tree's BoP adds, such as those found in the mushroom forest. Not to mention you get 4 planks per wood block mined. In fact, even in vanilla you can gather jungle wood planks faster than cobble.

3 - IC2's wooden scaffolds can be placed faster than ladders, plus they don't need to be placed against something. Not to mention you get a bit more than 14 scaffolds per wood block. Also, if you just craft 128 scaffolds (2 stacks), and use them all up, you know exactly the right location on the y-axis, without needing to look at the F3 screen or the numbers below the mini-map.

4 - The resources for a CC turtle are trivial to get. And programming it to go to height y and build a rectangular platform is easily faster than building it yourself. The only problem is, (last time I tried it) the turtle can't be made to place half slabs at the top half of a block-space, so you'll have to use full blocks for this.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
4 - The resources for a CC turtle are trivial to get. And programming it to go to height y and build a rectangular platform is easily faster than building it yourself. The only problem is, (last time I tried it) the turtle can't be made to place half slabs at the top half of a block-space, so you'll have to use full blocks for this.

I think almost everyone can pillar up and build a platform then a turtle to be honest.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I have a couple of small tips to add, if nobody minds;

1 - you can cut the resource cost of the spawning platform and its roof in half if you convert your building material in half slabs. Same for the waiting room and the walkway.
Make sure you place the half slabs correctly. Mobs can spawn on half slabs, as long as it is also the border of a full block. So place the slabs you want mobs to spawn on on the top half of the block-space they occupy.

2 - With a TiC lumber axe you can gather wood faster than cobble. Especially if you have jungle trees around, or even better, some of the larger tree's BoP adds, such as those found in the mushroom forest. Not to mention you get 4 planks per wood block mined. In fact, even in vanilla you can gather jungle wood planks faster than cobble.

3 - IC2's wooden scaffolds can be placed faster than ladders, plus they don't need to be placed against something. Not to mention you get a bit more than 14 scaffolds per wood block. Also, if you just craft 128 scaffolds (2 stacks), and use them all up, you know exactly the right location on the y-axis, without needing to look at the F3 screen or the numbers below the mini-map.

All good tips. I did the OP the way I did to be as vanilla as possible But for your 1 I used the water to stop endermen form teleporting up there and hanging out. Also Slabs only allow spawning not when they border full blocks but when they are upside down IE level with the top of a full block or double slabs. You can check the wiki on that. The issue with making a floor out of half slabs is placement can be wonky at times and since cobble is basically free and unlimited once you get a single bucket of lava and water no real need to save it as a resource.

Reactions: James_Grimm

Vircomore

Jul 29, 2019
Just wanted to post here and thank you for this thread. I set up a system pretty much exactly like what you've shown here and had my first 4 enderpearls in 1.2 nights.

Converted them into an MFR Safari Net, captured another Enderman, and the rest is (through the magic of an MFR cow grinder / auto-spawner) is up to 17 stacks of enderpearls.

^_^

Prior to this I was spending every night flying around with my jetpack, hunting endermen like Moby Dick.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
i remember seeing a vid on youtube from docm77 or jl2578 about setting up a massive enderman trap in the end. this thing was pure vanilla, but requires a golem farm because it required a LOT of iron to build the pistons and tripwire hooks for it. it was worth it tho...literally gain like 30 levels of xp in a minute or so punching weakened enders, and you would need lots of chests to store all the pearls that dropped. if you wanted to get ridiculous with it, and soulshards is still around, you could try getting a soul cage going. shouldnt be hard to gather enough souls with a trap like that ;)

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Also Slabs only allow spawning not when they border full blocks but when they are upside down IE level with the top of a full block or double slabs. You can check the wiki on that.

Yes, that is what I meant. My description is correct, but very difficult to understand. For some reason I couldn't think of the term "upside down half slab" and decided to describe it as "bordering the top of a full block space." I know it's silly, I blame lack of sleep.

The issue with making a floor out of half slabs is placement can be wonky at times and since cobble is basically free and unlimited once you get a single bucket of lava and water no real need to save it as a resource.

Cobble may be unlimited, but so are diamonds. Cutting the cobble cost in half means cutting the gathering time in half.
That said, I usually don't build such things in the first day after staring a new game. When I do, I probably already have a barrel of cobble sitting around. But the OP was about building it in the first two hours. So I figured every bid of speed can help.

Talking about speed, did you knew you can sneak-place faster if you sneak-place diagonally?

Some more things I have been thinking about:

Can Mobs spawn on IC2 scaffolds?
If so, I was thinking: A scaffold can be placed next to an other up to 2 blocks away from a supported pillar. If you make a base of wooden slabs in the shape of the letter E with 4 blocks between each tooth, then you can build a scaffold platform on top of it.

Maybe its a good idea to build the platforms in the shape of water spreading, that way you can cover the whole roof with just water and not worry about containing it.

Last edited:

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
i remember seeing a vid on youtube from docm77 or jl2578 about setting up a massive enderman trap in the end. this thing was pure vanilla, but requires a golem farm because it required a LOT of iron to build the pistons and tripwire hooks for it. it was worth it tho...literally gain like 30 levels of xp in a minute or so punching weakened enders, and you would need lots of chests to store all the pearls that dropped. if you wanted to get ridiculous with it, and soulshards is still around, you could try getting a soul cage going. shouldnt be hard to gather enough souls with a trap like that ;)
This ender farm was around for a long time, the first guy to build it was docm77 I think, and yes it's a great build. But this one here is just for the first few ender pearls ;D

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
You could also stop spiders from spawning by putting a half slab every other block on every other row.

Ended up just clearing out the middle 3 columns of slabs and leaving the sides with slabs on them with like 2 columns I think.

Also endermen spawning up here is really slow going. :\ Maybe I should expand it.

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
Did something change with the mob spawning mechanics in 1.6.4? I'm running DW20 1.6.4 and built a platform very similar to what was posted, and mobs aren't spawning much - I have it built at 203 (sea level/ground in this area is at 64, so that means its 139 blocks above ground). After numerous MC days/nights, I have seen two endermen, neither of which I was able to kill, one due to rain, and relatively speaking, I haven't seen much of anything else. The start of the pad is placed a bit more than 24 blocks from where I stand, and it seems that at that point, the zombies still pick up on me and beeline for where I'm standing. Nothing else seems to care. It seems like when I come up the ladder, a ton of mobs spawn, but if I just sit there, they tend to despawn and very little continues to spawn. Also, it seems when I go down the bridge and get closer, mobs start to spawn more.... Any thoughts?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
There is a good chance that you have mobs else were in your world. It is a common issue with modded MC that has additional mobs. One of the big causes is Thaumcraft wisps and Arsa Magica everything that sometimes refuse to despawn taking up slots in your worlds total mob count. Also in 1.6+ you have the issue with mobs that have items. It is a common issue to build up a number of armored zombies and skeletons that refuse to depawn because they are holding gear. Saddly there is not a quick fix of this as the issue is usually bugged depawning so much depawning tickets dont work. You just got to go find them. Tools like OPIS are good for that.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Too vanilla for me...as soon as I had a little bit of mob essence from my cow farm, I started spawning endermen and killing them with my looting III sword. I havent had a deficit since.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Too vanilla for me...as soon as I had a little bit of mob essence from my cow farm, I started spawning endermen and killing them with my looting III sword. I havent had a deficit since.

Well the whole point of this post as stated in the OP is to be mod independent so yeah its vanilla. I even have noted in the OP that it is not the most efficient design. This is as noted in the OP something made that you can have up and running in the first hour or two on a new world with almost nothing to your name.

Yes there are many better ways depending on what mods you have. Heck even staying vanilla going to the End is better then this.

Reactions: PierceSG

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
It is great for the first few elusive pearls. And also Murphy's Law? I find that once I had a steady income of pearls, Enderman seems to be EVERYWHERE!

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote
S

shewtingg

I need some help if anyone can, my kill area is 9x9x5 with water on top and a 1x1 bridge extending about 30 blocks away from my position behind the killing fence. The bridge leads to a 26x10x5 spawn zone with water on top and I have tried for many (in-game) days, waiting for an enderman to spawn yet none has, I only get the occasional spider or so which despawns a few seconds after without noticing me. Any suggestions/help as to why i can get no enderman? (My Y value is 218 around 140 blocks from the nearest ground block.