Power Gen in DW20 1.6.4.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xjjon

Jul 29, 2019
Post how you are generating power in DW20 (EU/MJ/RF/ETC).

I am currently using lava for magmatic and geothermal gens. I started with steam dynamo to power the basic TE machines.

dtech100

Jul 29, 2019
You can make tree farm by MFR, Forestry or Steve's Cart. In Steve's Cart tree farm you can make charcoal directly from chopped tree logs which cart will smelt. Then power it to solid boiler or directly to steam dynamos - RF from TE3 can power all machines which need MJ. Using endertermic pump from extra utilities which will drain lava from nether and then store it in Railcraft tank (firstly iron, later in the game steel one - max 9x9 by 8 high can store 20 000 buckets of lava). You can make EU from compact solars or by charcoal or by lava to generators. You can use golems from Thaumcraft 4 to plant BoP saplings and gain huge amount of charcoal. You can make EU from water mills. Possibilities to make power are simply unlimited. Milk, honey, water, biomass, bioethanol, fuel, seed oil, coal coke etc.

I simply use only TE3 machines powered by 5 resonant energy cells full of energy (each one can store 50M of RF (5M MJ)) powered by steam dynamos powered by charcoal from MFR tree farm supported with fertilizer - huge amount of tree logs. For smelting logs into charcoal i use power converted RF-EU induction furnace. When TE3 machines can be upgraded (speed) i will stop using IC2 for good.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
This morning (Sat morning here) I decided to have a crack at MineFactory Reloaded (MFR). I am following along with DireWolf's youtube series so built the 9 x 9 (first time for me) building setup. I then did the following:

Build a large underground room as a 'power room'.
Set up an MFR planter with the 'Tin' upgrade near my base
Set up an MFR harvester with the 'Tin' upgrade near harvester
Power being supplied by a hardened energy cell in my power room, with power being supplied by conduits underground.
Output from harvester goes into a chest behind harvester
An itemduct takes logs from the harvester into the power room to be converted into Charcoal
Another itemduct takes saplings from the harvester and puts them into the planter
To get the itemducts to be selective create and apply a Pneumatic Servo from Thermal Expansion to them (DireWolf demonstrates this in his video series)
A liquiduct ta kes sludge to a buried sludge boiler, the output of that is then brought back up to the chest behind the harvester

In the power room I have five Steam Dynamo's being fed by charcoal from the redstone furnace, they are connected to hardened conduit with up to 400MJ capacity into a hardened energy cell set to input up to 400MJ and output 400MJ.

A regular 80MJ max line of power conduits leads from the energy cell to the MFR machines, whilst hardened conduits lead up to the 'machine room' to supply the more intensive machines.

I have 'overflow' storage in the form of barrels for handling any excess wood and charcoal. I've attached some screenies. Very happy with the result though as I have plenty of power for now.

Now.. if only i could get myself some Ender pearls without being horribly killed by HORDES of zombies.

2013-12-29_01.03.57.png 2013-12-29_01.04.58.png 2013-12-29_01.07.13.png 2013-12-29_01.07.35.png 2013-12-29_01.08.04.png

One thing I would like to add, I found this power project very rewarding, all these little bits and blocks working together.

I also just realized that the chest will fill up with saplings and other things randomly created by the sludge boiler, I'll need to possibly put another itemduct that will pull everything out (Except saplings and wood) and into the - yet to be built - sorting system.

If you need a TON of clay for bricks or things, the the sludge boiler is fantastic, I've got hundreds of bricks now filling up a barrel, looking forward to replacing cobblestone walls with bricks!

Last edited:

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
Now.. if only i could get myself some Ender pearls without being horribly killed by HORDES of zombies.

TiCo scythe with pistons for knockback...really helps with hordes, if you're getting swarmed.

For power generation, I've fallen in love with electrolytic separators and hydrogen generators from Mekanism. Once you give them the startup juice (steam dynamo, or whatever you fancy), they're a great system.

Reactions: PierceSG

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
TiCo scythe with pistons for knockback...really helps with hordes, if you're getting swarmed.

I'll give that a go! One thing I am enjoying with the DW 1.6.x pack is that they've done 'something' with the enemy mobs, nighttime now feels dangerous even in a full suit of iron armour (best I can do right now), zombies will 'home in on you' from what seems a long way off, and there are these obsidian pillars all over the area where my base is.. they seem to summon lots of bad guys, this evening whilst once again hunting endermen I found myself being chased by BABY ZOMBIES! My God those little buggers hit like trucks.

For power generation, I've fallen in love with electrolytic separators and hydrogen generators from Mekanism. Once you give them the startup juice (steam dynamo, or whatever you fancy), they're a great system.

I'll look it up :)

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
If you install Mekanism, prepare to meet the same family and thier kids. Equipped in Osmium Armor and swords. ;)

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
Farming golems on a carrot farm, carrots fed into Caliometric Burners on Steam Boilers, steam fed into various power generators, e.g. Steam Dynamos and Steam Turbine.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Farming golems on a carrot farm, carrots fed into Caliometric Burners on Steam Boilers, steam fed into various power generators, e.g. Steam Dynamos and Steam Turbine.

This is my favourite one on this thread. It's cool and original. I like the use of multiple mods to achieve a power. I need to up my game to think of equally original ways of power generation. Currently I'm stuck on mirrors for steam and lava. I don't like them though. Too boring.

Lirannl

Jul 29, 2019
MFR treefarm --> TE dynamos. I'm planning on getting other things, like bees --> honey --> biogas engines, and I want to avoid solars at all costs, currently successful, I'm also thinking about a HUUUUUUGE cube with all water mills, then hook up 2 factorization routers, one to put in water buckets, one to pull them out, of course this means I'll need massive water generation, if you wonder why won't I just pump liquid water into them - you can't. Only water bucket, or you place them near many many water source blocks, but that's incredibly space ineffcient :p

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization mirrors/boiler setup for steam for RF and lava for EU until i get a nuke or two up and running which might take a while since I am not doing much in the way of auto mining this run. There are a few other things I am doing but they are not in the DW20 pack(mmm, blood magic)

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Currently, my power generation is based around Mekanism (which I added to the pack, so I guess it doesn't count). When I get an actual base setup rather than a hole in the ground, I'll probably switch to bees and the reactant dynamos for most of my power.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Right now I've got 2 steves carts tree farms feeding a sawmill. The planks feed an HP steam boiler which is currently powering some fermenters and stills to create biomass and then ethanol from the saplings. I havne't decided how to use that yet, I'm just letting it build up right now in railcraft tanks.
The sawdust from the saw mill goes into an autocrafting table which feeds a redstone furnace to make charcoal.
I use the charcoal in my generator for EU, and also use it in my induction smelter with iron for steel.

I'm powering my 2 quarries with 3 steam dynamos fed by the coal from the quarries, but I need to figure out something else for that. Maybe I'll ender chest planks over there and feed the dynamos using hoppers. I've got PLENTY of planks!

Reactions: Mevansuto

Splash

Jul 29, 2019
Right now I've got 2 steves carts tree farms feeding a sawmill. The planks feed an HP steam boiler which is currently powering some fermenters and stills to create biomass and then ethanol from the saplings. I havne't decided how to use that yet, I'm just letting it build up right now in railcraft tanks.
The sawdust from the saw mill goes into an autocrafting table which feeds a redstone furnace to make charcoal.
I use the charcoal in my generator for EU, and also use it in my induction smelter with iron for steel.

I'm powering my 2 quarries with 3 steam dynamos fed by the coal from the quarries, but I need to figure out something else for that. Maybe I'll ender chest planks over there and feed the dynamos using hoppers. I've got PLENTY of planks!

feed those beasts ;)

we used to use solid fuels in the early phase. we burn everything whats needed to make progress.. after the first quarry we havent got material problems. its usally let us build some tree farms to gain biomass, apple oaks. and in the a later phase i used to 'upgrade' their stats in the following order: maturing. sappiness. sapling drop. fruit yield. now we ve got almost the best tree. only thr yield is avarage but its more than enough
now we got the best tree except the fruit yield. i like biomass because its simply renewable. with some liquid/solid fuel boilers from railcraft can produce a huge amounts of energy which could be used as EU or RF on demand.
Im a newbie but in my opinion there is also a very great potential in nuclear reactors.

Ive forgotten to mention polar sanels. there is some of them too. we keep them for their mobility.

Reactions: BeastFeeder