So this whole Gregtech thing.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpwnX

Jul 29, 2019
that works, and its what i do. its really not much i change, just some of the hard recipies, plates needed, and the vanilla nerfs.
. . .
at least until he takes away those config options.
He won't. He will always add configs if requested (and if they doesnt exist of course).

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
@above : GregTech can be very easy if you tinker with its config.
What FTB should do is have two (or more) different configs regarding GregTech's Internal Difficulty.
My suggestion is one that disables any nerfs (Normal), one that runs default GT (Hard) and one that enforces any possible nerf (Hardcore/Insane).

With a note for "Normal" users, that bronze machines would be completely useless.
Totally agree. Two configs. One for Unleashed that makes minimal changes to other mods, just makes makes GT materials available to players, keeping the Unleashed style. And one version on Hard, that keeps wood changes, and other changes to mods as GT default configs do.

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any statistics anywhere as to how many people were using the Unhinged pack? I'm guessing that lack of demand compared to the other packs could have also played a role in the decision to not release an "Unhinged" pack for 1.6.4

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
However that is not what is preventing us from using Gregtech in any pack. So first is we are at a point now where there are several mod developers that no longer provide any tech support to any collection of mods where Gregtech is involved.
I'm confused by this. I run a pack of 166 mods and growing. I've yet to run into an issue caused exclusively by Gregtech. The problems I did run into were caused by other developers neglecting to register their recipes with the ore dictionary.

Second part to the problem is the builds of IC2 that we are using for the packs we are releasing at the moment are not compatible with Gregtech and my understanding is it will remain like this for a bit moving forwards.
Which builds of IC2 aren't compatible with Gregtech? I'm using the latest Experimental release without issue.

In the universal configs we will probably target it towards minimal intrusion upon other mods whilst still retaining the difficulty and end game that it provides.
This I find rather silly. Why is it alright for a mod developer to modify Minecraft yet, it's highly taboo for one mod to modify another? Does the modding community fear a modception based paradox will occur, tearing a hole in the very fabric of space and time?

At times the modding community truly reflects the current political landscape in an almost prophetic way. It wraps its self up with petty, trivial concerns, drama and, slander whilst simultaneously shirking crater sized issues.

Reactions: dalekslayer96

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
Are there any statistics anywhere as to how many people were using the Unhinged pack? I'm guessing that lack of demand compared to the other packs could have also played a role in the decision to not release an "Unhinged" pack for 1.6.4
Well, the people who loved GT mostly used it independently, as then they could use the 1.6 versions of the mod, so it's safe to say Unhinged was pretty unused.

And, I'm going to make my own GT pack, if anyone wants to use that in the future (no promises :p).

Reactions: Ngar

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
You can turn on and off pretty much everything in his config. Most of the changes he does are actually compatible with most mods, such as the tools requiring plated versions + hammer/file, or the wood option. The major thing holding the compatibility back is other mods not using the standard oredict form.
While the configs might be vast and one can change many things some changes can not be reverted. And there is NO standard for OreDict names/entries, which has been confirmed by Lex.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
While the configs might be vast and one can change many things some changes can not be reverted. And there is NO standard for OreDict names/entries, which has been confirmed by Lex.

That will annoy Greg, as he seems hell-bent on forcing other mod-devs to standardize on a format .... no doubt so he can achieve his end goals

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019

There is no Forge-mandated standard for ore dictionary names, but there ARE common conventions used by most large mods.

For example, in the commit where the ore dictionary was first implemented:
/** The current list of known classes.
* oreTin, oreCopper, oreSilver
* ingotTin, ingotCopper, ingotSilver
* dyeBlue
* gemRuby, gemEmerald, gemSapphire
* woodRubber
*/

This strongly establishes the shapeMaterial naming style which GregTech promotes (and most other mods use), and it's closer to a standard than you'll find anywhere else. I don't think Lex was even working on Forge back then, and certainly wasn't the person who created the ore dictionary.

Edit: Looked more closely at the Github page: Lex had made some changes just before Eloraam added the ore dictionary.

Last edited:
Reactions: xbony2

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad to hear that GT will have universal configs. I echo SpwnX's points about the benefits of of different overall difficulty levels of configs (that of course all have the same IDs anyway).

I have a small start at Hard (or maybe really "very hard") configs for a few mods for 1.6 based very closely on Retep998's vision for a hard server. Server Thread Link

Dropbox link to non-universal configs
edit: added my COFH (Thermal Expansion) configs that bring TE and it's worldgen in line. No guarantees IDs don't have conflicts.

The IDs almost certainly don't match current universal configs, but the other settings are indeed hard as hell (20mj/t for Forestry's Carpenter, multipliers on AE storage energy cost, copper and tin oregen only from GT's biome specific Tetrahedrite and Cassiterite, etc).

Looking at the Unhinged modlist and Googling for 1.6 versions of those mods, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to port the spirit of the pack, even though worlds won't port. I've seen the options in the new Thermal Expansion config that put it roughly in line with GT difficulty (steel in machine frames, 3 diamonds in the pulverizer), and I recall hearing that MFR's difficulty in 1.5 was just a config option as well. I presume that hasn't changed.

Unhinged:
Applied Energistics
Biomes O Plenty
Buildcraft
Chargepads
Chickenchunks
DimensionalDoors
EnderStorage
Factorization
Forestry
Gregtech
IC2 Nuclear Control
IC2
Inventory Tweaks
Ironchest
MineFactoryReloaded
Modular Powersuits
Mystcraft
NEIaddons
NEIPlugins
Railcraft
Stevescarts
Thermal Expansion
Twilight Forest
Underground Biomes
Voxelmap
Oredict thoughts:
... hell-bent on forcing other mod-devs to standardize...
It's just a few lines in the log, nothing binding. It's not even targeted at any specific mods, it just mechanically reads entries and notes which ones don't match.

Oredict standards are a little like Bluray VS HDDVD. Both work, but it makes things easier on consumers when one finally wins.

That said, Eloraam's conventions were first, and I'd be curious to know why the first devs deviated from that in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ngar

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
This strongly establishes the shapeMaterial naming style which GregTech promotes
Can we call his mod techGreg now?

--
Just to make this post not completely stupid and useless, I too am glad by the glut of information we have received from the FTB team, there is so much cool stuff coming round the corner. The Gregtech ideas suggested by Slowpoke and the team sound sensible. I was going to suggest that if there are two versions of the Gregtech configs, hard and easy, then the easy one should be the standard put into the universal configs. But then I remembered that Slowpoke had said pretty much the exact same thing in the OP, so no complaints there then.

Luminus

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think Lex was even working on Forge back then, and certainly wasn't the person who created the ore dictionary.

Just a little note.. I believe it was Eloraam who created the initial version of Ore Dictionary. That, or her EAQ is misleading, but for some reason I doubt that.

On topic.. I loved pre-1.6 GT for two things - the Quantum Tank and Wiremill. On the other hand, even with the configs nerfed to minimal interference.. it was a bit of an annoyance to go and power up my Rolling Machines just to make Iridium Plates out of Iridium Plates (wait wut). Plugins for Forestry adds a craftable Barrel (ID 4601 in DW20_1.6.4) that holds 10 buckets of liquid and is DSU-compatable, and IC2's new Metal Former basically replaces the Wiremill. Unless he makes it a bit less invasive on non-IC2 things, I don't think I'll be re-adding GregTech to any 1.6 pack since the two things I mentioned basically (and relatively easily, mind you) replace the what I was looking for with his mod in the first place (compact liquid storage and efficient wire crafting).

That said, I'm glad I wasn't running GT during the whole mDiyo bit. >_>

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
Not only is there the IC2 metal former, but there's also a GT plate-bender (steel works in the latter, not the former, not sure about iridium plates).

Luminus

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing a majority (maybe?) of people would use Steel Plates for outside of Railcraft is GT's higher-yield-per-ingot Mixed Metal bits, I would think. Other than that, it didn't really do much, to my knowledge. Didn't mess with Steel/rails/etc outside of 5x5x5 tanks in my 1.5.2 server.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I can honestly say that I wish that as much as I like GT, I wish it would go the way of RedPower2. Just die off and beforgotten. It causes too much trouble for the value.

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
I can honestly say that I wish that as much as I like GT, I wish it would go the way of RedPower2. Just die off and beforgotten. It causes too much trouble for the value.

If that happened, Greg would start nerfing IC² directly, rather than bugfixing IC² and only putting the balance changes in GT...

Reactions: PierceSG

4oh3

Jul 29, 2019
Beyond FTB not having consent to distribute Gregtech and Tinkers Construct in a single pack there has been no changes in permissions with regards to the Gregtech mod and FTB.
Irrelevant with the recent Mojang EULA change.

Status
Not open for further replies.