Automated Mining in Horizons

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
That's a terrible downside for servers. Flowing blocks are a real PITA for servers.

You'll only ever have flowing water if you run into a cave or something. It places a source block every time it mines a block, so once it's done, it won't cause any more lag than an ocean.

The real downside is that it's a lot more complicated to set up than a quarry (especially if you're using slickwater), and can't mine out as large an area at once. The max is an 8 or 9 block radius if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Hoff

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
You'll only ever have flowing water if you run into a cave or something. It places a source block every time it mines a block, so once it's done, it won't cause any more lag than an ocean.

The real downside is that it's a lot more complicated to set up than a quarry (especially if you're using slickwater), and can't mine out as large an area at once. The max is an 8 or 9 block radius if I remember correctly.

I will take the downside of smaller area with the added bonus of no gaping holes in the landscape

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
On that note, another advantage is that there's no penalty for starting underground. The husher can start mining right away without clearing out terrain for a frame.

Reactions: PierceSG

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

In general, Engineer's Toolbox is a very fun but decidedly hardmode mod. People don't go to the husher because they're like, "Oh man a quarry would be too difficult."

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Well it's not exactly scalable..

Again; Rotary's Boring Machine. Mines horizontally to infinity with only the machine itself needing to be chunkloaded. It's also not terribly difficult(albeit costly) to get it working on free energy.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Again; Rotary's Boring Machine. Mines horizontally to infinity with only the machine itself needing to be chunkloaded. It's also not terribly difficult(albeit costly) to get it working on free energy.

It is... not inexpensive.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Fully kitted SC2 miner w/ Galgadorian drill is actually cheaper!
Probably but requires more access to more parts of the game. Lower cost/rarer materials vs higher cost/common materials. But if you got the resources; why not both? :p

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Probably but requires more access to more parts of the game. Lower cost/rarer materials vs higher cost/common materials. But if you got the resources; why not both? :p

Mostly because the Rotary Bore is less useful and flexible. It does not cover the same area as quickly or as fuel efficiently (although it can run on flowing water, i guess?)

I was a doubter for SC2 miners and then I something that is cheaper andand faster than a quarry, can use fortune and silk touch, and no limit on the area it covers.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Mostly because the Rotary Bore is less useful and flexible. It does not cover the same area as quickly or as fuel efficiently (although it can run on flowing water, i guess?)

I was a doubter for SC2 miners and then I something that is cheaper andand faster than a quarry, can use fortune and silk touch, and no limit on the area it covers.

I disagree with the useful. I can have the bore running on water far sooner than a full galga drill. Also super simple. I like super simple.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree with the useful. I can have the bore running on water far sooner than a full galga drill. Also super simple. I like super simple.

The durability and range on the T2 drill is more than sufficient to start.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The durability and range on the T2 drill is more than sufficient to start.
Guess it comes down to taste then. I simply don't like building processing for the drill type stuff(Rails) or coming up with fancy solutions to moving it back to where it's mining without wasting so much that it runs out of fuel.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Guess it comes down to taste then. I simply don't like building processing for the drill type stuff(Rails) or coming up with fancy solutions to moving it back to where it's mining without wasting so much that it runs out of fuel.

If you haven't, I invite you to watch how I do it. It minimizes travel time while maximizing output. It has a horizontal profile like a quarry but a vertical profile that is a slice of exactly the ores you want.

And tbh, I do it poorly. After building it once I see a half dozen ways it could be better. You don't even need a huge stock of rails, just a few stacks will let you cover a wide area with a small line of redstone. SC2 has been reworked to make even extremely complex rail systems much easier.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
If you haven't, I invite you to watch how I do it. It minimizes travel time while maximizing output. It has a horizontal profile like a quarry but a vertical profile that is a slice of exactly the ores you want.

And tbh, I do it poorly. After building it once I see a half dozen ways it could be better. You don't even need a huge stock of rails, just a few stacks will let you cover a wide area with a small line of redstone. SC2 has been reworked to make even extremely complex rail systems much easier.

I might give it a look but I've given SC2 a try in the past and it just never fit the bill for me.