[1.7.10] Engineer's Toolbox - Now with programmable sockets!

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Unless of course you want to make emery tile floors to prevent mob spawns in dark rooms, in which case you'll want quite a bit of the stuff. Either way, it's pretty common once you find the right biome.

Anyway, I thought I might put a bit of a road map for the near future of my mod's development out there. I hope to have a bugfix update out tonight, but otherwise, I have a bunch of new features planned for most of my mods that I'll be implementing over the next little while when I have time.

Engineer's Toolbox will first of all be getting the long overdue tubes, pipes, and cables for transporting items, fluids, and energy (Redstone Flux), respectively. I may also add some sort of Redstone cables, but that will probably be later on. I'm not going to go into details of about exactly how these will work at this point. Another feature that I'm planning on adding will be a very powerful, but somewhat complicated item and fluid 'sorting' system for sockets. Again, I'm not going to go into details on how this will work exactly, but it will of course use sockets. I'm also looking into creating a neutral item I/O module that will be compatible with mods like Translocators which do not support ISpecialInventory. Finally, I'll be removing direct support for MJ and EU in sockets and be switching to King Lemming's new Redstone Flux energy net. Sockets themselves will only work with Redstone Flux (the charger module will still be capable of charging IC^2 items), but there will be separate blocks added to convert back and forth between the different types of energy. Redstone Flux is a much better energy API than both EU and MJ and switching to it will open up a number of new options. There may also be some stuff that will fit into the "magitechnology" category, but aside from the hint in my word choice, I'm not going to get too much into that now.

The next major GasCraft update will focus on end game power generation and will add some interesting things to the Nether. I'm not going to say any more though. Defense will also be getting some attention at some point, the new features will be focused on defense against players rather than mobs and will involve some new socket modules which will require the as of yet useless gems in Emasher Resource.

I'm also hoping to improve the way retro-gen works in both GasCraft and Emasher Resource, but that might still be a while.

Don't expect to see all this stuff come out at once, and don't expect it all to even come out in the next few weeks or even before I'm able to update to 1.7. These are more long term goals than anything.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds excellent Emasher. Keep up the good work. I haven't finished my 1.5 world yet so I have held off updating but the fancy features you have been busy adding to your mods these last few weeks are one of the main things I am looking forward to for updating. Your new plans sound great too like I said, so...

...keep up the good work! Take care.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just happy to get a fix for the glitchy chest bug and the centrifuge. Thanks, Emasher. And if you need tester help, remember RR has 3 dedicated, private test servers. We can bang on any feature you want to test if you'd like to take advantage of that service.

Sadly, the mod is pretty dangerous to use right now because of the inventory corruption issues. You don't get a lot of leeway to experiment or misclick.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
So I finally got a fully tricked out Husher up and going to test out, with ample power and what I thought would be ample Slickwater supply. Boy howdy was I wrong on the Slickwater. On medium size setting and 1000+ buckets of Slickwater I got an erratically dug out hole roughly 10 blocks across and 5 blocks deep... filled with some rather disgusting brown liquid (as described by my wife, heh).

I like the concept of the Husher. Really not impressed with the execution, unfortunately.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
It only actually uses the fluid (1000 mB per block excavated) when it excavates a block, so it's pretty easy to calculate approximately how much slickwater you'll need to finish digging up a particular area. What I would recommend is going down to y level 32 using regular water while converting the cobblestone you get into sand and then slickwater and then using that slickwater to dig the rest of the hole.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
So I finally got a fully tricked out Husher up and going to test out, with ample power and what I thought would be ample Slickwater supply. Boy howdy was I wrong on the Slickwater. On medium size setting and 1000+ buckets of Slickwater I got an erratically dug out hole roughly 10 blocks across and 5 blocks deep... filled with some rather disgusting brown liquid (as described by my wife, heh).

I like the concept of the Husher. Really not impressed with the execution, unfortunately.

It's actually way better this way. Note also that you can reclaim the water in the pit, feed it back into the system and keep going. So you don't need enough slickwater to actually tunnel to 0. That said, it is so easy to make you might as well.

Th Husher is awesome. It is relatively cheap, requires no power, and is easy to automate. The fact that it fills up squares with liquid rather than leaving a gaping death void is a positive. I usually have to write turtle programs to water and cap my quarry holes.

And if its a little gross and morally ambiguous? That's a wonderful addition in the same theme as MFR.

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
Bugfix updates for Engineer's Toolbox, GasCraft, and Defense are now out.

If anyone encounters the centrifuge bug, the phantom tile entity bug, or the tile entity eating bug (or any other bugs really), please let me know. I think they're fixed now, but I haven't done extensive testing.

Reactions: lokalike

Emasher

Jul 29, 2019
That's most likely the problem. I had to use the Tinkerer's Construct API a while back to add a smeltery recipe for my Bauxite ore since the one added by Tinkerer' Construct itself doesn't seem to use the ore dictionary. I'm pretty sure the API itself isn't included as part of Resource, since the only reason you ever really have to do that with mod APIs is when you extend a class or implement an interface from one, so I guess something I was referencing in it has changed. I'm pretty busy with IRL stuff at the moment, so it might be a couple days before I can get a fix out.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
You know, it's surprisingly difficult to do a Mod Spotlight when there are so many amazingly awesome things you can do with the mod... the modularity makes it hard to keep within a reasonable time frame.

Reactions: Steel

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
You know, it's surprisingly difficult to do a Mod Spotlight when there are so many amazingly awesome things you can do with the mod... the modularity makes it hard to keep within a reasonable time frame.

I have used very little of Engineer's Toolbox in my actual game (just enough to make an egg collection area) but man I would love to see a spotlight. There are just so many cool different uses. If you do make one Shneekey, I for one will be very excited to watch.

Reactions: RedBoss

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I have used very little of Engineer's Toolbox in my actual game (just enough to make an egg collection area) but man I would love to see a spotlight. There are just so many cool different uses. If you do make one Shneekey, I for one will be very excited to watch.

Hey Shneeky, Steel built you a stage. We, the audiences, are waiting. :p

Reactions: Steel

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Emasher, I've been asked to report that your mod is out of date with the new TiCo dev builds. Pairing Emasher Core with the most recent tico dev builds causes crashes in your core mod.

Could we possibly get a build that supports this?

Julian Zhou

Jul 29, 2019
Emasher, I've been asked to report that your mod is out of date with the new TiCo dev builds. Pairing Emasher Core with the most recent tico dev builds causes crashes in your core mod.

Could we possibly get a build that supports this?

Could you at least TRY to read a few posts back? Its an API error and Emasher himself said he would get out a fix as soon as he can. Also, its crashing with Tcon release 1.5.0.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry. My bad. That post was sitting on my tablet and failed to submit since Monday night. When I opened it back up it finished the submit instead of backing up. Oh Mobile Safari.