Program Request Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Actually that's what I ended up doing, because I did not want to wrap the peripheral to a variable.

It really doesn't matter anyway. It won't make a measurable difference. Besides, you don't write lua to make blazing-fast stuff ;)

Just FYI guys, if your code decides to make smileys where you don't want, put them inside [PLAIN][/PLAIN] tags. It also ignores bbcode (how I was able to show the tags without them doing stuff

There's [code][/code] tags actually.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
It really doesn't matter anyway. It won't make a measurable difference. Besides, you don't write lua to make blazing-fast stuff ;)

Yeah, I wasn't trying to put it on the spot or anything, I was just suggesting an alternative with a different method of doing it ;).

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
I was viewing it on tapatalk and it didn't hide the smileys inside the code tags, I forgot they don't keep smileys in them.

OK, I'll keep that in mind for next time :). Although, I doubt most people use smileys in program code often :p.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I only noticed it when Hydra did it last page, but sometimes they are accidental, like maybe you want to say Pet:Dog or something of similar structure but really it comes out as Pet:Dog

Reactions: Symmetryc

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I only noticed it when Hydra did it last page, but sometimes they are accidental, like maybe you want to say Pet:Dog or something of similar structure but really it comes out as Pet:Dog

Tapatalk probably does it's own UBB > html translation so if it creates the smileys inside code blocks it's a bug in tapatalk.

Reactions: Eyamaz

techno156

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, whoops. XD I forgot to put in the purpose of the program. :p Staying up at 11PM is probably not good for me, especially after some hardcore revision. ;) Basically, the program I'm requesting is a program that enables you to create a to-do list, and if you click a button, you can remove a task. :p

Mark3430

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I can't get my head around some of Lua (every program I've tried to make besides making a turtle go around in a circle fails even following tutorials fully) and I've searched to no avail with every term combo I could think of and still can't find what I'm looking for (or anything really besides a method list for EP2).

I'm looking a program that connects a computer via modem/peripheral cable or MFR RedNet cable to a an advanced monitor where I'd hit a button and it would dial an Enhanced Portal dialer sitting next to the computer. I did figure out how to physically do the touch screen via a button API I found, but I can't figure out how to make the computer, modems/cable and the dialer work together and dial anything. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Mark3430

Jul 29, 2019
A Basic Dial Device or just Dial Device added by Enhanced Portals to allow you to input symbol addresses like on a Stargate.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
How do they work and is there a computercraft API for them? Or does it work via some sort of redstone. Where have you been looking for APIs too by the way. The computercraft wiki has documentation in a API category page for all APIs apart from (as far as I know) the modem API which is easy enough to search for (type modem api computercraft into google). It already sounds like you have a fair amount of knowledge that we can work with, including how to apply APIs. If you go to find the peripheral API on the computercraft wiki << http://computercraft.info/wiki/Category:APIs >> then you should find at least some of the functions you need. One important one is peripheral.wrap(side string). When you want your computer to interact with a peripheral you need to wrap it to a variable on the side of the computer that it is on (it might be a bit different with wired modems, I haven't really looked but there might be stuff extra to do if you are attaching multiple peripherals along the same side via wired modem).

Just thinking about it, you probably already know this if you have managed to use the button api on a monitor. Well, if the portal your using ships with a computercraft API then it would be really handy if you could link that. Also maybe include a screenshot to give us a better idea of what you are trying to achieve. You are using an unfamiliar mod so I would appreciate a bit more info. I'm afraid I might not be able to help out with the whole program because I have quite a few things of my own to take care of but I might be able to at least help you a bit. I like computercraft and I want to get back into it anyway - I have been going bee crazy recently!

Mark3430

Jul 29, 2019
I can find the APIs I just can't seem to ever get a program to work how it should or needs to, only thing I figured out with the buttons is how to put them on the monitor with a computer next to it and where to put the methods though I can't seem to figure out how to make them actually function with the buttons, I'm quite a noob at all CC stuff. The EP2 methods are here: http://shadeddimensions.co.uk/enhancedportals-2/computercraft/ (hope that's ok to post). I can get some screens of what setup I'm trying to accomplish shortly.

Edit: Pictures of the setup I'm trying to accomplish, I can edit code in very basic ways so even if it's a generic code it'd be handy, tried to connect the modem to monitor last night and it failed to do display anything again... I'm also using direwolf's button API, Of course if someone has a better one that would work easier for this I'm definitely not opposed to it.

I'm trying to make this to where I touch a button here and this displays from the computer (for display purposes I have a computer behind this):
uNCZLuh.png

Then it sends a command to the dialer and computer here via the modem:
I0UodVD.png

And here's the whole setup thus far (not sure if the distance matters or not with wired):
jV3wIsy.png

Which then dials and makes the portal. I just for the life of me can't figure out how to get it to properly dial and send stuff via the modems no matter which tutorials I follow, guess I'm too simple minded for this stuff.

Mark3430

Jul 29, 2019
Trying, I can't figure out how to get it to send methods (I believe they're called) back and forth to specific devices after wrapping them, I did figure out how to connect them initially in the program finally they just won't send anything unless I did that wrong.

My program so far (pretty much just a modified version of the one in dire's button API tutorial):
http://pastebin.com/txqzrJEE

Mark3430

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, that managed to get it to connect finally, sorry for wasting your guys' time. Least I know how to do that now.