First ME Encoded Patterns

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
For me it is the blank patterns followed by ME cable & import & export items. Then I'll get the basic automation going to create the storage automatically (patterns for furnaces needed at this point). Once I have all the basic automation in place, I have a tendency to start adding anything I need to the MAC and machines so I don't have to repeat steps.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
No, but if all AE functions were supported in OpenPeripheral, things could get *really* scary !

My first ME Patterns are always more AE stuff, such as ME cables, buses, storage chips, etc.,.

As for pattern pages, the first time I used AE, anything and everything I crafted went into AE. I filled up about 9 pages. These days, however, I just encode the stuff I know I'm going to make 10+ of. 5 pages is more than enough.

All AE functions are supported by MiscPeripherals, so SkyNet just MAY be around the corner in Minecraftia!

As for me, it's a 3x3 MAC, first pattern is for more patterns, then the various things needed for a larger MAC!

I really like the idea of using it to make logistic pipes though. I too am typically short on the quartz when I start with AE. Props for that one!

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Oh, I just remembered that one of the early things that I automated was IC2 overclockers (including the foundation steps of insulated wire and circuits). Also, all the components for making a jet pack, so if I died I could just dial a replacement and go get my stuff back.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I usually start with solars, being that even the basic ones require a ton of steps and they're a giant pain in the butt.

Reactions: Staxed

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Solars are on my short list of things to do first, yes. They are perfect candidates for the AE MAC and the ME Interface crafting/process interface/feature.

Shortly after I encode the 3x3 crafting tables recipes, I'll encode the coal dust, glass, rubber, etc.,. recipes and toss them in ME Interfaces on top of up-transformed and overclocked IC2 machines and put ME Precision Export buses below set to stack mode. That's the only time/reason I ever have for IC2 machines.

Even with all of that maxed out (8x MFSUs into HV-Transformers in reverse mode feeding 2048 EU/t to 4x Insulated HV Cable), a High Voltage Solar Array takes a while to build.

It cuts down on the time a lot if I 'prime' the pump by ordering up thousands of the machine-processed required parts. The only assembly should then be 3x3 grid work.

I'm not a fan of IC2 in general, but I do like the ability to overclock and I like the sounds of the machines. The sound might create lag in a large machine farm, but 1 souped-up machine of each type isn't bad. It's pretty cool to have thousands of glass, coal dust, rubber, and compressed metal alloy / carbon plate all being made at the same time.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I usually only push the solars as far as MVs, to get my network stabilized and get a Mass Fab running before I slide over into hybrid solars. The stuff from Advanced Solars/Gravisuite takes "perfect candidate for the MAC" to a new level and I love my one-click Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel to death.

Reactions: MrD3cisive

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I usually only push the solars as far as MVs, to get my network stabilized and get a Mass Fab running before I slide over into hybrid solars. The stuff from Advanced Solars/Gravisuite takes "perfect candidate for the MAC" to a new level and I love my one-click Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel to death.

I'm with you on the HV Solar Arrays...it's a lot cheaper to get a Mass Fab and UU for the Hybrids than to spend 10s of thousands of iron on one HV Solar Array...the materials required for a HV Array are ludicrous :D

Reactions: Dorque

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Yes - I swear the MAC was made for Solars and Gravisuite.

Also, I hadn't realized the Ultimate Hybrid was cheaper than its HV Solar equivalent. That explains why I've been needing to put brown (iron) Laser Focus thingies in my MFR Laser Drills.

I'll encode a Hybrid tonight !

The things like this I learn from people you like you on these forums is well worth it - many thanks to you both !

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019

Also, I hadn't realized the Ultimate Hybrid was cheaper than its HV Solar equivalent. That explains why I've been needing to put brown (iron) Laser Focus thingies in my MFR Laser Drills.

The things like this I learn from people you like you on these forums is well worth it - many thanks to you both !

It's one of those six/half dozen things; when you're first getting started, UU-Matter might be considered far more expensive than the iron for an HV array; after all, EU-wise an Ultimate Hybrid requires 416 real-time hours to pay itself off.

Once you have your UU generation well-entrenched this becomes far less the case, iron being harder to find than something you can generate perpetually at home.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019

lol,yeah I learned that lesson when I created 8 HV Arrays the other day (I programmed everything in without making anything) and my refined iron went from 45K to about 5K...it takes somewhere along the lines of 5100 refined iron for one HV Array

Reactions: MigukNamja

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
That begs an interesting question: When you have multiple methods to create something, like say, smoothstone, how would your AE system decide which programmed method to use? I'd hate to end up with all my UU burned up when it just needed to send cobble to my cooker. (Sure, you could just exclude the UU>Stone recipe, but it seems like there ought to be a way to prioritize which patterns (or ME interfaces with patterns) get used first, just in case I manage to use 124k cobble. I'm sure it could happen.)

Actually, I once taught my ME system how to use a minium stone...

...it transmuted a single wooden log more than a thousand times and burned up more than 20 minium stones. And then it made over 24k logs into wooden gears.

Fun fact: It does this with metal gears too. I lost all my valuables in a split second. All I got back was a bunch of shiny gears in my ME system.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I once taught my ME system how to use a minium stone...

...it transmuted a single wooden log more than a thousand times and burned up more than 20 minium stones. And then it made over 24k logs into wooden gears.

Fun fact: It does this with metal gears too. I lost all my valuables in a split second. All I got back was a bunch of shiny gears in my ME system.

in that case you should learn how to setup your ME system, because I have all of the minium and uu recipes in mine, and no such thing happens :p

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
in that case you should learn how to setup your ME system, because I have all of the minium and uu recipes in mine, and no such thing happens :p

I don't have them all programmed but I certainly have my system set up to use a minium for certain things and it doesn't have any issues with it. Just another shapeless recipe as far as the back end is concerned.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I start with a 3x3 and like many others, the first things I train it on are other AE block recipes. In parallel I'm generally inputting Thermal Expansion recipes as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1379970522][/DOUBLEPOST]
The MAC creates items in the order they are put into the pages.
Put all of your Minium/UU recipes on the very last page, and if you have other recipes for the same item that don't use this, it will use those recipes before it uses minium/uu recipes.
Wow, I would have sworn the system just picked one and if that didn't work it would give up.
Maybe I'm thinking of MAC internalized recipes vs those installed externally in ME Interfaces.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I start with a 3x3 and like many others, the first things I train it on are other AE block recipes. In parallel I'm generally inputting Thermal Expansion recipes as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1379970522][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wow, I would have sworn the system just picked one and if that didn't work it would give up.
Maybe I'm thinking of MAC internalized recipes vs those installed externally in ME Interfaces.

Yeah, there is no priority for interfaces that I know of (if you have the same recipe in two interfaces it will only use one of them), but for the actual MAC internal recipes they are in priority of first > last page, left to right, top to bottom :)

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Make more patterns. From then on, I make a pattern of everything I build that I might want more of. It is quite nice to make a Q suit or Ultimate solar panel with one click. It actually takes less time with NEI to make all the patterns you need than to actually craft it yourself. It is also great for things you always need more of like pipe and wires.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Actually, my first encoded patterns generally happen long before my MAC does. They go in Interfaces for automation of machine recipes and things like ore refining. Once I get my MAC, though, the first few recipes tend to be Encoded Patterns, then all the stuff to make ME storage devices and conversion matrices.

Reactions: Physicist

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Actually, my first encoded patterns generally happen long before my MAC does. They go in Interfaces for automation of machine recipes and things like ore refining. Once I get my MAC, though, the first few recipes tend to be Encoded Patterns, then all the stuff to make ME storage devices and conversion matrices.

That is interesting. I've never even thought about starting up interfaces on machines before starting up the MAC. Learn something new everyday.