Vineacraft: Hiatus (Not dead)

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Hey, PokeFenn, looking at your Vinea Cape (WANT), I realised, there is no real symbol for vineacraft, other than a simple vine, but I think we need something more than that, no?
(I would put it on my skin as well :D)

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
*shrugs*
I asked Peggle to make one a very long time ago, but we both forgot bout it.
If anyone wants to make the symbol, i would really appreciate it :D

Also, j485, peggle, santa, dgdas9, what is all your In game name?
I'll send a pull request into mDiyo to give you capes.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
*shrugs*

Why, it's "the_j485" of course!

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
*shrugs*

SatanicSanta

And I could make you a symbol if I think of something for it. Right now I'm attempting to smash bugs in my code.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
*shrugs*

dgdas12

Also, YAY I am special![DOUBLEPOST=1379365008][/DOUBLEPOST]
SatanicSanta

And I could make you a symbol if I think of something for it. Right now I'm attempting to smash bugs in my code.

The VineaWrench? (Once the texture is done)

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
*shrugs*

IGN: pegglefrank
What? I put the symbol on the machines. The original vinea_Infuser had it, actually.

I can try to pull it up from the dead and put it on a cape. Maybe it would be possible to give it an animation, too, though that might get a bit annoying.[DOUBLEPOST=1379365324][/DOUBLEPOST]
dgdas12

Also, YAY I am special![DOUBLEPOST=1379365008][/DOUBLEPOST]

The VineaWrench? (Once the texture is done)

The texture was made by Santa.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
The problem wasnt that you were giving it criticism, i dont mind that, heck i like getting it.
The reason i said ignorance is because lots of the things you said were, a lack of knowledge.
Some of the things you said you didnt read enough or know exactly what you were talking about.
Then you ended with what could be interpretive as a "Do what mod i say".

Also, i dont get how "cant take any criticism" means that im ignorant?
  1. "Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated." thats the definition of ignorant, doesnt look like that from here.
And thanks, I'll have a good time MULTIPLYING my ores using a way which is original and different to many mods.

Note: Mods = someone's creation, quite alot of the time insult it you insult the author.

Ignorance means too, that u cannot accept that you may be wrong. I didnt talked about the rest of the mod, i said explicitly that originality doesn't reside in another way of doing the same thing we already do, but instead in doing something new. I didn't talked about the other parts of the mod, as I don't really think there is nothing to say about them until they are done and i can test them, this wasn't an "Your mod is worthless and lacks originality", it was a "There is no originality in doing what you say will "change everything"" which i found pretty egocentric. You are faning so hard that you cannot even see my point and you just are on the defensive.

Also, opinions are not a lack of knowledge, are just opinions, if u can't take it, leave the world, there is 7 billions of them and you could go crazy.
Also, this mod isn't even complete yet, so obviously i can't know everything about it, in another post you said that you had other original ideas.. Yeah, welcome to humanity, where we can't use telepathy to know what other people have in their mind. Again, i am unable to know about your new ideas if i don't see them in an appropriate way, and that is: Content. Everyone could say "im gonna save the world" but hey.. thats what everyone says.

And finally, i never talked about your mod. Instead i can't figure out why you present it that way, it was just that, and you couldn't, then making all this fuss and insulting me, even if i showed that it wans't an attack, but an opinion, giving you constructive feedback.

So: Not everyone will like your mod, not everyone will think you are mister originality, and some people will feel that this is the same they saw somewhere else. That, my friend, is individualism. That's why we have a mind and not just instincts to make us all follow one path. If you can't take it without believing that you are the center of the world and someone is just trying to attack you, and then, replying that they are ignorant, just because they think different than you.. Then, again, leave this world, because you will have 7b problems.

And just for the time being, a response like this would have been better:

So, you don't think this is original.. Well, i have "x"and "y" idea, also, you are wrong because of "x" and "y", also, what would you like to see in the mod that you haven't seen before?

You see? That way you could get some more feedback, and also, give explicit facts about whats wrong with my thinking, instead of saying im "ignorant" because you have some other ideas that i don't know about. Of course you have, im positive about it, but i dont know them and until i do so, i will still think that we already have half the things in this mod, that they are overlapping with other content and that your creativity would be well spent in other ideas. Again, thats my opinion, and you should respect it, as i respect yours, giving you my reasons why i think otherwise, instead of just insulting you.

(Damn this is long) Also:

Mid game armour with no defense at all.. Maybe machinemuse wasnt happy with mmmps and how it came out, but it doesn't mean that its pretty well done, and its also mid game. It has mobility options and you are free to not put protection on it, to make it lighter or to spend less energy.
Multi block processing.. I'll try to make it as nice as i can, so, please, you too try to understand my point:

We have ways of doing this. A lot of them, from the lower tiered with low output and energy consumption, the big 4 steps process to make it output more, the faster low output high energy.. We already have them... That's my point, even if you use a multiblock and vines to power it, the process itself is the same "I have "X" of iron ore, i want "X2" so i do this". That's where originality comes from, not from what it looks like or the little details.. I could take the cubism movement and transform it into "hexagonism" movement, that wouldn't make me original, that is just a minor change that just means: More content doing the same thing. And tahts my point, we already have so much options for doing the same thing, from the mechanical to the magical, to the "In place" with smelting tools..Again, its my opinion that there is not originality in creating yet another method of doing the same thing. Even with minor changes. Originality comes from new ideas, and doing the same thing with a multiblock and vines, its NOT a new idea, but a change.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Just because people take X and make X2 doesn't make it unoriginal. The way that you get X2 from X is where the originality comes from.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Ignorance means too, that u cannot accept that you may be wrong. I didnt talked about the rest of the mod, i said explicitly that originality doesn't reside in another way of doing the same thing we already do, but instead in doing something new. I didn't talked about the other parts of the mod, as I don't really think there is nothing to say about them until they are done and i can test them, this wasn't an "Your mod is worthless and lacks originality", it was a "There is no originality in doing what you say will "change everything"" which i found pretty egocentric. You are faning so hard that you cannot even see my point and you just are on the defensive.

Also, opinions are not a lack of knowledge, are just opinions, if u can't take it, leave the world, there is 7 billions of them and you could go crazy.
Also, this mod isn't even complete yet, so obviously i can't know everything about it, in another post you said that you had other original ideas.. Yeah, welcome to humanity, where we can't use telepathy to know what other people have in their mind. Again, i am unable to know about your new ideas if i don't see them in an appropriate way, and that is: Content. Everyone could say "im gonna save the world" but hey.. thats what everyone says.

And finally, i never talked about your mod. Instead i can't figure out why you present it that way, it was just that, and you couldn't, then making all this fuss and insulting me, even if i showed that it wans't an attack, but an opinion, giving you constructive feedback.

So: Not everyone will like your mod, not everyone will think you are mister originality, and some people will feel that this is the same they saw somewhere else. That, my friend, is individualism. That's why we have a mind and not just instincts to make us all follow one path. If you can't take it without believing that you are the center of the world and someone is just trying to attack you, and then, replying that they are ignorant, just because they think different than you.. Then, again, leave this world, because you will have 7b problems.

And just for the time being, a response like this would have been better:

So, you don't think this is original.. Well, i have "x"and "y" idea, also, you are wrong because of "x" and "y", also, what would you like to see in the mod that you haven't seen before?

You see? That way you could get some more feedback, and also, give explicit facts about whats wrong with my thinking, instead of saying im "ignorant" because you have some other ideas that i don't know about. Of course you have, im positive about it, but i dont know them and until i do so, i will still think that we already have half the things in this mod, that they are overlapping with other content and that your creativity would be well spent in other ideas. Again, thats my opinion, and you should respect it, as i respect yours, giving you my reasons why i think otherwise, instead of just insulting you.

(Damn this is long) Also:

Mid game armour with no defense at all.. Maybe machinemuse wasnt happy with mmmps and how it came out, but it doesn't mean that its pretty well done, and its also mid game. It has mobility options and you are free to not put protection on it, to make it lighter or to spend less energy.
Multi block processing.. I'll try to make it as nice as i can, so, please, you too try to understand my point:

We have ways of doing this. A lot of them, from the lower tiered with low output and energy consumption, the big 4 steps process to make it output more, the faster low output high energy.. We already have them... That's my point, even if you use a multiblock and vines to power it, the process itself is the same "I have "X" of iron ore, i want "X2" so i do this". That's where originality comes from, not from what it looks like or the little details.. I could take the cubism movement and transform it into "hexagonism" movement, that wouldn't make me original, that is just a minor change that just means: More content doing the same thing. And tahts my point, we already have so much options for doing the same thing, from the mechanical to the magical, to the "In place" with smelting tools..Again, its my opinion that there is not originality in creating yet another method of doing the same thing. Even with minor changes. Originality comes from new ideas, and doing the same thing with a multiblock and vines, its NOT a new idea, but a change.

"So, you don't think this is original.. Well, i have "x"and "y" idea, also, you are wrong because of "x" and "y", also, what would you like to see in the mod that you haven't seen before?"
While certainly this would be more polite in terms of social relationship, the sheer fact you said "what would you like to see in the mod that you haven't seen before?" would only work if he indeed thought that you had any ideas. It's easy to criticise a work, but it has little effect UNLESS (and only unless) it is on the technical side of things, and even then with only small mistakes and the like, because it isn't certainly going to work correctly with, say, a radical change in the system that optimizes the mod really a lot. Sure, it works with bugs and code snippets (FREAKING TYPOS FUCKED UP MY CODE). When you're trying to ask for opinions and ideas, you say that. When you already have a lot of ideas (in other words, the design part of the product), you'll hardly ask for any ideas, and then, only when they're excellent.

As a person who has worked with several different types of development, from robotics to level creation to story writing to musicals to songs to coding to whatever you can think of, I'll break down the process in robotics/level creation/coding (story writing and musicals are similar yet different, and so is song writing and recording):

1st step (at least what I do): Start out with an idea. It doesn't need to be original - originality is not always the solution to everything - but it needs to look like it's saying "Hey, look what could be done with me!". It doesn't matter if it's modular machines, portal guns, Roguelike in space or technology out of vines. Portal, FTL, Engineer's Toolbox and Badlands from TF2 are all prime examples of this. They're fundamentally stuff that has been done before, but they all work because they were initially ideas which were converted to something that draws people in.

2nd step: Flesh out the idea. Is your control point in a platform with height advantage? Are your portals only going to be placeable in certain walls? How is every alien race going to be? What are going to be the modules available? They're all questions that matter. They allow an idea to be more vivid. Everything needs to have a design system. Say you are making a game about military strategy. What are the units going to be? Is the game going to be turn-based or real-time? How much money do you need per unit? How much damage are the going to do? What are they going to be effective against?

3rd step: Write down a chart of the plan. Are the players going to go left, in a shorter but more vulnerable way, or go right, in a longer but less vulnerable or with health packs? What are the concepts that players will have to use throughout the game to solve several puzzles? What's the likeness of getting a powerful weapon, and how much energy are they going to consume? How many modules can one fit into a single socket? Having a progression system allows the player to know about what are strategies without actually saying "Hey, here's some strategy, use it". For example, Great Big War Game doesn't tell you give you a system of strategies, but rather tells you what the units do and how you can use them. You develop the strategy, and adapt to them.

4th step: Start writing down the barebones. We call those "Dev versions". You make the basic stuff, and then go changing according to people's opinion. Buff that health pack, reduce some distances, reduce that alien's speed, make the player need water as a catalyzer for the ore processing. Test, test, test, until you hit the nail just right. There will be scrapped versions, but these will tell if a product is good or not.

5th step: When dev versions are finished, start making progressive changes. The bones are now completed. Add the flesh. Add the brain, the hearth, the blood. Your product is now something you'll find interesting. And so will most people.

Now, important note: the 4th stage's changes are going to be more "balance" changes. Make this area less defender-sided, make this cost less, allow the player to use a cube in either of the buttons. They're going to make the game more enjoyable. Pokefenn was already in there, but you thought he was in the 2nd step. Sorry, just bad timing.

Board games are EXCELLENT for design exercises. Take a board game with a rule you don't really like (say, play Monopoly with the auctions - that actually makes the game faster) or change a rule that seems stupid (for example, Risk where, in case of a tie, the attackers win). Try. See how different the game is. Maybe this time you'll have a better perspective on mod creation, mainly because doing something based on mob approval will be fucking bad. As a saying says:
"You can please some people some of the time, all the people some of the time, some of the people all the time but not all the people all the time." The least you can do is please yourself.

Also, everytime I do one of those kind of posts, I have to do a shameless plug to Extra Credit because they are just so fucking good:

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I've ignored him, its just going to descend into hate and one of us are going to get warning points.
Ignored before this gets too bad :/

Quite sad, first ignore ive had to use :(