Doing some research in the newest IC2_Exp build[138]

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Back when IC2 reactors were water-cooled and had no (c)heating cells, it was a very fine border between getting 32x from your uranium and a giant crater. That was crazy fun.

Now, as I said, IC2 is interesting for me two things. UU generation - more as something to add objective to a game, than means to an end. And IC2 Mining Laser. Awesome hand-held digging and mining device I haven't found replacement for.

The IC2 laser is pretty cool. Currently however it is outperformed by TiC hammers or Dartcraft Power Drills. I was just doing some tests. The mining laser on horizontal mode breaks between 5-7 stone blocks for me. The hammer breaks 9 and power drill breaks 18! Also, you have to shoot the laser twice to be able to go forward whereas you can go forward straight away with the other two tools. I like the mining laser it is pretty cool. But maybe it is time it got buffed a bit because for what it does it cost an awful lot of material and energy.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
IC2 is too linear and is becoming more so. It's cumbersome to automate, the new blocks are adding GT style tedium, and any automation is hopelessly dependent upon AE. If you even want to automate the production of the new items you'll need a huge workshop full of several copies of the same machine. Instead of offering something new and fun, they've introduced obstacles to old processes and offered tedious intermediate steps to get to the same old goal.

It's not fun. Especially for non-linear players. I suppose that is the line in the sand. The people that want multiple solutions will not enjoy the new IC2. Those that want "tiers" and definitive objective play will enjoy it. For me, I'm not interested. I was holding out hope that new info would show some fun but it's not happening.

except for one thing. I am not a linear player by a longshot. and i still find several parts of IC2 both useful and fun to work with. a linear player would always choose the optimal path towards an end goal, IC2 as it stands now is not that path. a case could be made for saying that BC + TE is more in line with the optimal. the easy route so to say.
If you find the IC2 techpath to be tedious, then i suggest you stop using anything IC2 related. most mods require you to build out their techtree to reach the bigger rewards at the end. even when that often causes function duplication. this is not unique to IC2. TE does the same with liquiducts and power conduits. basically forcing you to use the TE induction smelter instead of the induction furnace from IC2 for instance. even tho these are comparable machines. (as it is, these machines are often sitting side by side in my workshop, and then used according to the need of the moment).

in big modpacks we have choices. nobody is forcing anyone to use one particular mod over another, so making a big stink about not liking a particular mod is just silly imho.
your opinion is just that. it's your opinion. the rest of us are free to disagree with it.

Reactions: netchip

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I like the mining laser it is pretty cool. But maybe it is time it got buffed a bit because for what it does it cost an awful lot of material and energy.
Hm, 3x3 Multi-Laser in horizontal mode! Pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew!
TE does the same with liquiducts and power conduits. basically forcing you to use the TE induction smelter instead of the induction furnace from IC2 for instance. even tho these are comparable machines.
I don't understand that. Are you saying that TE should change the way that the IC2 Induction Furnace works, so that in some circumstances it tries to combine its two inputs instead of always processing each input independently? The two machines are very different. The Induction Smelter does something new (combines two inputs). The Induction Furnace does exactly the same thing as any other furnace, but faster. You can't smelt regular ores or dusts in an Induction Smelter, it is only for combining two inputs. It's not CoFH's job to add that capability to other mods as well as to their own mod.

boborene

Jul 29, 2019
If you find the IC2 techpath to be tedious, then i suggest you stop using anything IC2 related.
your opinion is just that. it's your opinion. the rest of us are free to disagree with it.

I disagree with you. I had played minecraft from conception and I had used IC2 99% of my mods packages.

Making IC2 harder and tedious than rest of mods will kill it for good. Look, RP2 awesome mod, but how many of you are using hardcore stuff like computers from RP2?
IC2 will get same sad fate as RP2, to be ignored because is tedious.
Too bad.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see why people like TE. Yes, I used to use it in 1.5.2 and CoFH did a good job on it. I'll miss it (if not getting ported).

But, Mekanism and IC2 are *perfect* replacements. Really, there is no more what you wish ;)

Anyways, I enjoy the majority of the mods!

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
No one said you weren't.

If nothing else the changes in ic2 highlight the need for more options in mods that do ore processing and energy generation. There are new mods from devs with different perspectives cropping up and their mods should definitely be explored if you find the older mods to be stale or spiraling downwards

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, 3x3 Multi-Laser in horizontal mode! Pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew!
I don't understand that. Are you saying that TE should change the way that the IC2 Induction Furnace works, so that in some circumstances it tries to combine its two inputs instead of always processing each input independently? The two machines are very different. The Induction Smelter does something new (combines two inputs). The Induction Furnace does exactly the same thing as any other furnace, but faster. You can't smelt regular ores or dusts in an Induction Smelter, it is only for combining two inputs. It's not CoFH's job to add that capability to other mods as well as to their own mod.

*facepalm*

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
Meaning? Did I say something stupid? If so, I'm so dumb I need it explaining to me.

"most mods require you to build out their techtree to reach the bigger rewards at the end. even when that often causes function duplication. this is not unique to IC2. TE does the same with liquiducts and power conduits. basically forcing you to use the TE induction smelter instead of the induction furnace from IC2 for instance."

He was referring to the recipe of the liquiducts and power conduits. Not that those 2 machines should do the same job.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
In which case, Magma Crucible and Liquid Transposer should have been the targets of the criticism, and Induction Furnace is an irrelevant distraction to the arguement as it does exactly the same as a vanilla Furnace.

Seriously, are you or he saying that modded machines should all be 100% optional? That you should be able to make all Thermal Expansion or IC2 machines and items with a regular crafting table and a cobblestone furnace? Because that's the ultimate consequence of a "modded machines should not be required for progression in a mod" argument. I guess that's why I missed the point being made.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
In which case, Magma Crucible and Liquid Transposer should have been the targets of the criticism, and Induction Furnace is an irrelevant distraction to the arguement as it does exactly the same as a vanilla Furnace.

Seriously, are you or he saying that modded machines should all be 100% optional? That you should be able to make all Thermal Expansion or IC2 machines and items with a regular crafting table and a cobblestone furnace? Because that's the ultimate consequence of a "modded machines should not be required for progression in a mod" argument. I guess that's why I missed the point being made.

He made the whole post to answer to this, also quoted in the same post as he compared IC2 and TE:

"It's not fun. Especially for non-linear players. I suppose that is the line in the sand. The people that want multiple solutions will not enjoy the new IC2. Those that want "tiers" and definitive objective play will enjoy it. For me, I'm not interested." - Redboss

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

Seriously. Why are you even bothering with people who drag TE stuff into this discussion? King Lemming brought us configurable input/output sides. For that alone he should get the Nobel Peace Price.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously. Why are you even bothering with people who drag TE stuff into this discussion? King Lemming brought us configurable input/output sides. For that alone he should get the Nobel Peace Price.
Nobel Peace Price... Yeah, right.

It's not Lemming personally. If he wouldn't have invented it, someone else would have invented it.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
The same for you?...

Everyone here loves TE and hates IC2...

Seriously? How old are you? People here care about IC2 and are displeased by the lack of meaningfull progress in that mod. I LIKE IC2, just for all the fun I had with it. But if you say you can't understand why people like TE you either never used it or you're trolling. Just the configurability of the blocks and the versatility of the different stuff he adds should warrent a "like" from anyone. It's fine that you prefer the IC furnace over TE's version but TE adds MUCH more than IC2 doesn't even have. And let's not forget how King Lemming added liquid and power transport that was nice to use AND very server friendly. And you don't understand why people like the mod? Try harder to see the other point of view instead of repeating the same stuff ad nauseum.[DOUBLEPOST=1379349714][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nobel Peace Price... Yeah, right.

It's not Lemming personally. If he wouldn't have invented it, someone else would have invented it.

Now you're just getting sad.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

No. I was saying that ic2 is being singled out for doing the same thing most other mods are doing
in their own tech trees as well. The TE induction smelter was made for accessing the top tier TE items. Most mods have similar devices in their techtrees. Thus complaining about this aspect in ic2 is rather hypocritical.
I really would not mind less function duplication in modpacks, but there is few ways around it. Ore dictionary being one of the most successful so far.

Btw. Ic2 induction furnace is capable of combining 2 inputs. It makes bronze if you melt both copper and tin at the same time. Adding the hardened glass recipe is possible if you can be bothered to work with ic2's broken api. That is the part Greg is supposed to help out with IIRC.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
No. I was saying that ic2 is being singled out for doing the same thing most other mods are doing
in their own tech trees as well. The TE induction smelter was made for accessing the top tier TE items. Most mods have similar devices in their techtrees. Thus complaining about this aspect in ic2 is rather hypocritical.
I really would not mind less function duplication in modpacks, but there is few ways around it. Ore dictionary being one of the most successful so far.

Btw. Ic2 induction furnace is capable of combining 2 inputs. It makes bronze if you melt both copper and tin at the same time. Adding the hardened glass recipe is possible if you can be bothered to work with ic2's broken api. That is the part Greg is supposed to help out with IIRC.
Since when the IC2 Induction furnace can do it?
I never ever saw this before anywhere.