Adblock vs Pay2Sub - Your thoughts?

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
Last time I checked, they were doing that to make it so that some games could be released for free.
Lol and you really think it'll stay that way? Just look at cellphone apps. There's tons of paid apps with advertising in them for absolutely no reason.

There's already ads in various games. Battlefield 2142 for example. They had billboards in the game that would update every few rounds with new car ads and crap like that. Other games have done the same thing. I pay almost 100$ for a game and still get subjected to advertising? Yeah I don't think so. I blocked those too and even inserted my own images instead. My battlefield had cool anime billboards and old 50's style ads. I left certain ads that I found fit the environment tho.

PageFair

Jul 29, 2019
The youtubers I usually watch are either too small or are against this sort of thing. I'd really like to see Google's books. We all know Google isn't exactly hurting when it comes to money. They money they lose from adblock on youtube, they make up somewhere else in tripple.

I was fine when they had the little ad on the right of their videos. Then they started having the ad AND that little pop-up in the videos, which was annoying, but I let it slide. Then they started with ads before the videos, and that's when I adblocked them.

It's the same thing with other websites. They start out with a small ad and maybe some text ad here and there, then they started having more pictures all over the place. Then it was the ads that yelled shit at you, and then pop-up and pop-unders. There were sites where even the pop-ups had ads and other pop-ups, and then they wonder why things like pop-up blockers and adblock were invented.

The thing is, a while ago Adblock was updated, and I remember having a message come up after the update saying that people were complaining about ads being blocked and making it harder to keep their websites up and running. According to the message (it could have been an article or something I don't remember) adblock was working to whitelist ads that are not intrusive, which is something I don't mind.

EDIT: This is what I was talking about: https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads#criteria

And here's an interesting artictle
http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/adblock-plus-accused-of-shaking-down-websites/

A good deal of ads are definitely intrusive, but adblocking is even causing a big enough impact to internet giants like Google that they are taking precautions. Adblocking cost Google $887 million last year alone. If one of the leading advertisers in the world pays someone off and acknowledges the epidemic, smaller sites are definitely in danger, regardless of the whitelist.

More info- http://blog.pagefair.com/2013/acceptable-ads-soothe-google-pain/

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
A good deal of ads are definitely intrusive, but adblocking is even causing a big enough impact to internet giants like Google that they are taking precautions. Adblocking cost Google $887 million last year alone. If one of the leading advertisers in the world pays someone off and acknowledges the epidemic, smaller sites are definitely in danger, regardless of the whitelist.

More info- http://blog.pagefair.com/2013/acceptable-ads-soothe-google-pain/
That's why they have the ability to turn off the plug in at will. It even saves your preference based on pages or domaines. I turn it off until I hear and ad, have trouble distinguishing content from ads, or an ad distracts me while I'm trying to read something.

I'm not against them white listing ads, but as soon as they get distracting I'll find something else.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
LOL this is one of the advertising worlds greatest misconceptions that if you view the advertisement the somehow magically supports them.
Unblocking ads do not help those renting their space. I actually don't use adblocker becasue I haven't been bothered to DL it.

What actually does help is buying the products that are advertised as that is the very reason the companies are giving YouTube their green. If the money spent on advertising does not obviously and directly correlate to gains in sales no matter how popular the venue is they will cut you off. Merely viewing an ad is not enough to truly support anything.
Ignoring the ad completely/skipping/muting walking away is akin to using ad-block and just as non supportive. However your view will be a data point YouTube can use as proof to claim how effective they are as an advertising medium. But if it doesn't correlate to a gain in sales places like YouTube wont retain the clients.
Lucky for YouTube the Ads actually do correlate to gains in sales, but it's not becasue you watched that 30 sec ad. It's becasue someone else did, payed attention and bought the products on show...

This apparent move to a subscription sub revenue model probably has more to do with the drawbacks of Advertising as a revenue stream, that or just a two pronged approach. Decades of hard sells in Ads have left the populace rather desensitized to the usual methods of advertizing. To the point that they could be offering a free service that does everything you want and is guranteed to make your life 120% better and you just before they even ask go "fuck off not interested" hell knows I do that.
I think maybe we are getting harder to wow, well at least I am.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
You get paid for views of ads on YouTube, not for the amount of people who buy the product. The point is, disabling Adblock does increase payment for the content creator. It is paid per view. Sure, the advertisers wouldn't buy in the first place if their sales didn't increase, but it's still a pay-per-view system.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You get paid for views of ads on YouTube, not for the amount of people who buy the product. The point is, disabling Adblock does increase payment for the content creator. It is paid per view. Sure, the advertisers wouldn't buy in the first place if their sales didn't increase, but it's still a pay-per-view system.

That is if you look at the short term. And your scope is limited (narrow), focused mainly on the content creators...
Don't pretend you are being supportive by watching ads but not buying the products. You aren't the one that prompts the company to give YouTube the money that content creators are paid from. Those that make spending money on ads lucrative are the ones who are truly supportive (i.e; customers, consumers, clients).

Tell me how well the system would work if everyone JUST watched and never bought the wares being advertized. At most by not skipping/ blocking the ads you are breaking even on a ethical/ moral standpoint. Also in the end the product being advertised might just be shit and therefore deserves to be blocked/ skipped.

Watching ads to support something is equivalent to signing an online petition. Merely a token show of support and means little.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
That is if you look at the short term. And your scope is limited (narrow), focused mainly on the content creators...
Don't pretend you are being supportive by watching ads but not buying the products. You aren't the one that prompts the company to give YouTube the money that content creators are paid from. Those that make spending money on ads lucrative are the ones who are truly supportive (i.e; customers, consumers, clients).

Tell me how well the system would work if everyone JUST watched and never bought the wares being advertized. At most by not skipping/ blocking the ads you are breaking even on a ethical/ moral standpoint. Also in the end the product being advertised might just be shit and therefore deserves to be blocked/ skipped.

Watching ads to support something is equivalent to signing an online petition. Merely a token show of support and means little.

I'm a 15-year-old student with no job. I don't have a lot of choice.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a 15-year-old student with no job. I don't have a lot of choice.

That makes sense. I wasn't really aiming it at you anyway. You just got caught up in the rant.
And TBH you shouldn't underestimate the purchasing power of a jobless 15 year old becasue corporate marketing sure doesn't.

I'm also not trying to say that if you don't buy-buy-buy that you are an evil social parasite. I was just stating that watching the ads doesn't support YouTube nearly as much as people think.

Anyways I was under the impression that it was the subscriber number and views (of the actual video) that determined the value of a "Tuber" as that can directly correlate to an ad campaigns reach and range.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I never used adblocker before really, but my computer decided to crap out on me and I had to switch to using my laptop, but my laptop isn't as good as my computer, so things like advertisements would be a problem for me on the laptop. so I installed adblocker and it's a huge difference in seeing pages with advertisements, and without.

but I am quite... well, you could say stingy with money, I rarely spent money on things that don't have an actual use for me, so things like subscriptions are things I never buy. but I do watch twitch streams very often, and to still support a streamer in one way or another, I decided to disabled adblocker for twitch.tv
I could also support the youtubers by disabling addblocker on there aswell, but youtube is pretty much an add-bomb nowadays

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
The thing is, google isn't suffering from adblocks. If you look at their stock graph, they are doing pretty freaking spectacular this year. The stock has increased by almost 200 since this time last year. Their profit also increased from 2011-2012, by a billion dollars. They stand to raise that profit even more by the end of this year.

Oh, and I use adblock for youtube because of the in-stream ads. I would be more than happy to have a banner ad anywhere on the page, just not during the freaking video.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Also where is it officially and publicly stated that the "content creators" get funds per ad watched?

Edit: OK OK, Did A little googleing and found that the creators get paid through a company called Adsense Here's the policy I found https://www.google.com/adsense/localized-terms?hl=en_US. Paragraph 5 states payment conditions.
I'm not sure I'm reading this properly but I think content creators are only paid for clicks. Unless YouTube has a different arrangement or that if the video loads at all it counts as a click which AdBlock might bypass.