1.2.5 was special, wasn't it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
to get horses you're giving up Thermal Expansion and MineFactory Reloaded. Dunno bout you, but that tradeoff is not one that I'd ever take up.
You forgot the phrase 'for right now'. Both TE and MFR are in production, they just aren't done yet. It's not like they're NEVER going to get done.

In the meantime, I'm using Mekanism instead of TE. It's been surprisingly fun.

Reactions: Pokefenn

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
You forgot the phrase 'for right now'. Both TE and MFR are in production, they just aren't done yet. It's not like they're NEVER going to get done.

In the meantime, I'm using Mekanism instead of TE. It's been surprisingly fun.

I'm using them together, and you're right, Mek is a shit ton of fun. But still, I'll update to 1.6/1.7 when the mods have updated simply because I want to play with the new toys that the mods bring. Not because of any content that Mojang adds.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using them together, and you're right, Mek is a shit ton of fun. But still, I'll update to 1.6/1.7 when the mods have updated simply because I want to play with the new toys that the mods bring. Not because of any content that Mojang adds.
1.7 is surprisingly fun.

SkinnyTurtles

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I love mods, I personally value vanilla features above anything added by mods. As for Mojang, it feels like a lot of people here are complain about something that isn't out and isn't finished. Even if Mojang fully embraced the modding community, someone one would still find something to mindlessly complain about. 1.7 is going to be an amazing update, mods or not, so for me its going to be worth not having mods for. My biggest problem with MC has always been poor world generation, and they fixed that in a single snapshot.

Reactions: vasouv

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Weren't Forge mods supposed to be version independent since a while ago? Well, what happened to that?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
As much as I love mods, I personally value vanilla features above anything added by mods. As for Mojang, it feels like a lot of people here are complain about something that isn't out and isn't finished. Even if Mojang fully embraced the modding community, someone one would still find something to mindlessly complain about. 1.7 is going to be an amazing update, mods or not, so for me its going to be worth not having mods for. My biggest problem with MC has always been poor world generation, and they fixed that in a single snapshot.

you're in a small minority on these forums mate.

vasouv

Jul 29, 2019
you're in a small minority on these forums mate.

Just because we're on the FTB fora doesn't mean we don't care about vanilla at all. Well, some of us at least. I'm one of those guys that update to the newest MC version as soon as it's released. If mods can keep up with the updates, that's fine, if not, they're not worth my time.

Besides, I don't recall anything being said upon registering, that this forum is for people that prefer mods over vanilla mc...

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
I can't judge the mod development side, but from a pure player perspective 1.2.5 will always have a special place in my heart, because it was the version where I made the switch from vanilla minecraft to an almost completely different game with a mod pack (technic at the time). A lot has change since then (some positive and some negative) but I don't think anything will be such a game changer as that switch was for me.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Just because we're on the FTB fora doesn't mean we don't care about vanilla at all. Well, some of us at least. I'm one of those guys that update to the newest MC version as soon as it's released. If mods can keep up with the updates, that's fine, if not, they're not worth my time.

Besides, I don't recall anything being said upon registering, that this forum is for people that prefer mods over vanilla mc...

and where exactly did I say these forums were for any kind of people. Saying that someone is in a minority does not infer that they are inferior in any way. Stop taking things so personally.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
and where exactly did I say these forums were for any kind of people. Saying that someone is in a minority does not infer that they are inferior in any way. Stop taking things so personally.

Yeah but explicitly stating that you are in a minority can reasonably be construed to be unwelcoming.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah but explicitly stating that you are in a minority can reasonably be construed to be unwelcoming.
If the truth is unwelcoming there is a problem. It is very factual that most people that play mods(specifically a large amount of mods in conjunction), not only on these forums, do not look forward to things that Mojang adds.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
If the truth is unwelcoming there is a problem. It is very factual that most people that play mods(specifically a large amount of mods in conjunction), not only on these forums, do not look forward to things that Mojang adds.

It may be true that more people here are interested in the mod content but just because that is a fact (my assumption) does not mean we are bound to state it, in fact it may be more tactful to not say it. Its sort of like the whole "does this dress make me look fat" question. I don't want to get locked into defending someone (like Skinnturtles) when they haven't asked for it, or being seen to come down too hard on other members, so I will just leave it at that.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
tekkit 1.2.5 is the version that got me into modded minecraft. From there I found the superior FTB. However now I cannot play vanilla minecraft without seeing simple and inferior items to play with. Sure they have released some things that are better than their mod counterparts but for the most part all I see being released are simply rehashes of items from mods.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
1.5+ yeah, the best thing added is the option of not updating.

Well, in fairness, though a lot of the things were rehashes of mod items, Vanilla servers are made a lot nicer by the addition of the items.

1.5 revamped the Redstone system, allowing more ease into the Redstone system by those who have no idea how to construct logic gates and more compact systems for those who do. It also added an item transportation system to Vanilla.

1.6 added horses, and it seems people on this forum don't like Mo' Creatures.

1.7 added quite a few new biomes, and while most of them were EBXL/BoP/Highlands clones, a couple (Ice Spikey Biome and Mesa) were really impressive.

You'll also have to note that a few mods and mod features exclusively for 1.5+ are really impressive, so you'll have to update to get those.

Cursey

Jul 29, 2019
Why don't the modders just choose an MC version and mod on that? They could get everything out, and have a full, complete modpack. They would update every other version or so.

Reactions: The classless

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Weren't Forge mods supposed to be version independent since a while ago? Well, what happened to that?

Nope, Srgnames allowed you to not have to update on small things, like when they pointlessly do stuff like 1.5.1 > 1.5.2
I think they were buggy or something so people stopped using them.