Dartcraft: One of the most overpowered mods of our time

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot to turn mine off. I have 1500 in storage now. It's pretty rediculous.

I think it's obvious that the author of DartCraft has no regard to how he's breaking assumptions made by other authors. For example: a bee plugin adds oblivion frames to dungeon drops. They can be crafted but are incredibly expensive. DC makes them abundant, trivilizing bee breeding.

Fixed in the 1.6 version, only player kills can give bags now. Additionally, thaumcraft and mystcraft are offenders aswell. Thaumcraft dungeons are easy to find and grand 3 loot chests giving high chances for said frames. Mystcraft ages makes generating more of said dungeons (flat biome pages) and dungeons in general realy easy aswell.

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019

I think it's obvious that the author of DartCraft has no regard to how he's breaking assumptions made by other authors. For example: a bee plugin adds oblivion frames to dungeon drops. They can be crafted but are incredibly expensive. DC makes them abundant, trivilizing bee breeding.

And then there's the force wrench which simply should not exist because it breaks stuff on a technical level.
1. Bluedart has changed spoils bags in his 1.6 version so that they are only dropped by player killed mobs so there are no more swimming in spoils bags.
And 2. If you are bee breeding you shouldn't be using oblivion frames, to start with that is, as if you are using soul frames with an oblivion frame you are wasting it as soul frames set the minimum life... thing to 50%.
I'll agree with you that the force wrench is incredible buggy though which is a shame considering how useful moving inventories around is.
And Bluedart has made some attempts to balance his mod and make his mod integrate with other mods better. Him changing his recipe for mixed metal ingots to needing plates is proof he has regard for the other modders.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Been using Dartcraft recently. Some of the stuff is OP, but, as usual with other mods as well, mostly only when using other mods.

Milk as a throttle in a force engine is pretty much only possible with MFR, unless you want to load it all by hand. And each bucket lasts for 2.5 minutes. Repair requires Thaumcraft, and I've still lost force armor to damage. I'm not certain but it might still be considered leather armor. Those portal guns that everyone keeps complaining about is from another mod as well.

Sturdy can be nerfed in the config. And I've come close to dying many times with it like that. As can liquid force duration in a force engine. And speaking of force engines, I've broken fuel production purely with other mods as well.

Yes some of the stuff is bugged, but at least those are being worked on. And bugs, regadless of what they do, aren't an indication of being OP.

Dartcraft isn't as broken as it used to be.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
1. Bluedart has changed spoils bags in his 1.6 version so that they are only dropped by player killed mobs so there are no more swimming in spoils bags.

Good.

And 2. If you are bee breeding you shouldn't be using oblivion frames, to start with that is, as if you are using soul frames with an oblivion frame you are wasting it as soul frames set the minimum life... thing to 50%.

Never heard of alvearies with mutators? And I'm sorry but it's incredibly stupid to say that you 'should not" be using oblivion frames. After getting a mutation you want to refine the hybrids you often get into pures. Oblivion frames lowers the wait to a single tick. Like they do in an alveary.

I'll agree with you that the force wrench is incredible buggy though which is a shame considering how useful moving inventories around is.
And Bluedart has made some attempts to balance his mod and make his mod integrate with other mods better. Him changing his recipe for mixed metal ingots to needing plates is proof he has regard for the other modders.

The way the wrench works currently is an incredibly dirty hack. The way it works now it should NOT exist because it basically gurantees bugs with current mods and mods to come. The reason 'no one' has done it before is not because it's hard to do, it's because you should not do it.

If you want inventories you can move with their contents you could take a look at Deep Storage Units. Other than that; if a mod author wants his inventories to be movable he should make them so himself.[DOUBLEPOST=1378554859][/DOUBLEPOST]
Fixed in the 1.6 version, only player kills can give bags now. Additionally, thaumcraft and mystcraft are offenders aswell. Thaumcraft dungeons are easy to find and grand 3 loot chests giving high chances for said frames. Mystcraft ages makes generating more of said dungeons (flat world page) and dungeons in general realy easy aswell.

This is nothing compared to system that gather this stuff while you're not even there. It's good that this is fixed in 1.6.

Reactions: Pokefenn

InfamousAsHell

Jul 29, 2019
This is nothing compared to system that gather this stuff while you're not even there. It's good that this is fixed in 1.6.
Hmm, I'm guessing you are one of the few people who dislike automation of any type. To make a spoils bag farm you need to make an auto-spawner or some cursed earth, neither are particularly easy to make/get, and some form of killer and collector. While it isn't the most expensive thing to make its not as easy to manage and maintain as an EE2 or Ars Magica fabricator, and the loot isn't that game breaking outside of the frames. And before you mention portal guns, big whoopdeedoo you've managed to find more than one portal gun, it's not as if you are going to actively use both of them.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019

Debatable. Spoil bags choose from all chest types, so you need alot of spoils bags in order to get a decent amount of dungeon chest variations. While thaumcraft dungeons are 3 garunteed chests and are found all over the place and only like ~100 blocks apart. So if your goal is to find oblivion frames I would highly suggest abusing a mystcraft world and look for thaumcraft dungeons. Youll get your frames faster with less added junk.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Milk as a throttle in a force engine is pretty much only possible with MFR, unless you want to load it all by hand. And each bucket lasts for 2.5 minutes. Repair requires Thaumcraft, and I've still lost force armor to damage. I'm not certain but it might still be considered leather armor. Those portal guns that everyone keeps complaining about is from another mod as well.

Ohhhh yea ... RP2 isn't in the 1.5.2 packs. Abusing RP2 Milk Farms to power a battery of Biogas Engines. Good times.

Back to the point, I have nothing to add to this conversation.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Turtles can also be used for getting milk. It's cheaper, but not as simple putting it up. I guess it depends on how many you have - if you just want 3-4 engines a turtle might be preferable, but if you're having an array of 30 engines using a MFR rancher would be simpler.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
In one of the (1.4.7?) updates they nerfed Biogas Engines so that Milk had the same effect as Water (cooling off the engine more than it could heat itself up,) so now you need lava in addition to milk to power them. Mostly because people started farming Milk pretty much for free via RP2 and MFRL and had ridiculously OP setups.

Come to think of it, I think I started that. ALL HAIL ME, FOR I HAVE POWER OVER SENGIR!!!!!

Or it's possible I'm remembering wrong and someone else started it.

I once started an experiment to see if Magmatic Engines or Biogas Engines powered by Milk were more efficient in Lava -> mJ. Never got to finish it, though. Anyone know?

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Whovian, we're talking about Dartcraft's force engines here. Milk can be used as a multiplier of the base fuel in the engine. Without MFR or a couple more complicated mods (I think Steve's Carts can milk cows) you have to fill the engines or a tank by hand. And each bucket only lasts 2.5 minutes.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's obvious that the author of DartCraft has no regard to how he's breaking assumptions made by other authors.

But here's the thing: Why should he? Why should someone be constrained to write their mod in a certain way? First and foremost, mod authors should just write their mods the way they want their mods to be. How it plays with other mods should be secondary to how the mod stands on its own.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Whovian, we're talking about Dartcraft's force engines here. Milk can be used as a multiplier of the base fuel in the engine. Without MFR or a couple more complicated mods (I think Steve's Carts can milk cows) you have to fill the engines or a tank by hand. And each bucket only lasts 2.5 minutes.
Or a turtle, as said. That's probably the easiest solution if it's just a few force engiens.

But here's the thing: Why should he? Why should someone be constrained to write their mod in a certain way? First and foremost, mod authors should just write their mods the way they want their mods to be. How it plays with other mods should be secondary to how the mod stands on its own.
If we assume the creator want the mod to be widespread, ze should because many people will opt not to use mods that screw up the balance of other mods too much. Where the limit is varies from person to person, of course.
Of course the creator can do whatever ze wants, but in the same way, we can choose what mods to use and not (and the FTB team can choose what mods to include by default and not).

But if they make them just for themselves, they of course won't take that into consideration. Then the consideration falls to the FTB team, who I know for sure are making the modpack for the public, not just for themselves.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
But here's the thing: Why should he? Why should someone be constrained to write their mod in a certain way? First and foremost, mod authors should just write their mods the way they want their mods to be.

This isn't a matter of doing things "the way you want", this is a matter of taking the risk of severily breaking (crashes, world corruption) ANY forge-compatible mod that uses tile entities. Again, this is an incredible dirty hack that simply should not exist. You're not a programmer if you don't understand this, sorry.[DOUBLEPOST=1378584876][/DOUBLEPOST]
Debatable. Spoil bags choose from all chest types, so you need alot of spoils bags in order to get a decent amount of dungeon chest variations. While thaumcraft dungeons are 3 garunteed chests and are found all over the place and only like ~100 blocks apart. So if your goal is to find oblivion frames I would highly suggest abusing a mystcraft world and look for thaumcraft dungeons. Youll get your frames faster with less added junk.

I think you're completely missing the point. I was saying that it's good that automated systems such as the MFR grinder don't work anymore in 1.6. I got 1500 spoils bags from my spawner (I accidently left a pigmen spawner running). Good luck opening 1500 dungeon chests in one evening.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
This isn't a matter of doing things "the way you want", this is a matter of taking the risk of severily breaking (crashes, world corruption) ANY forge-compatible mod that uses tile entities. Again, this is an incredible dirty hack that simply should not exist. You're not a programmer if you don't understand this, sorry.

Did I say anything about the Force Wrench? I was talking about the mere assumption that mod authors were somehow bound by some sort of "Alblaka-Eloraam Standard of Modding" for how they choose to balance or structure their mod. You're not a reader if you don't understand that. Sorry.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Did I say anything about the Force Wrench?

I was talking about the force wrench and how that breaks stuff in a most terrible manner in the post you responded to. So if you are NOT talking about spoils bags and the force wrench specifically then I don't see why you responded to my post. You can't just take one little sentence completely out of context like that.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
In the server that I play I haven't used dartcraft because it simply doesn't force me to use the mod to get X item from other mod.

and believe me, the varjra is as broken, if not more, than the force wrench (if you want me to find exploits that I have found, just ask)

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I was talking about the force wrench and how that breaks stuff in a most terrible manner in the post you responded to. So if you are NOT talking about spoils bags and the force wrench specifically then I don't see why you responded to my post. You can't just take one little sentence completely out of context like that.

And then there's the force wrench which simply should not exist because it breaks stuff on a technical level.

You first complain that the author is somehow violating conventions made by the modding community at large and back it up with an example of spoils bags violating The Balance.

You then make a statement about the Force Wrench being poorly coded and game-breaking.

The red section is talking about flow and balance.

The blue is talking about literal game breaking.

You can't make two different arguments and then claim that they are somehow the same thing. I don't see spoils bags causing game crashes through using code that somehow bypasses the normal code. Spoils bags are using the standard Dungeon Loot API provided by Forge.

Reactions: SonOfABirch
Status
Not open for further replies.