Why Do People Always Build Boxes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Houses in real life are often made of at least two intersecting boxes, frequently topped with a non-box roof, and most buildings have stuff sticking out of them, or at least an occasional window.

For some simple variety, try putting one 9x9 on top of four connected 9x9s, or using a simple pattern of two wood colours for the floor. Or, if you are playing 1.6, toss down a carpet (better suited for a bedroom/magic room/storage room than a machine room).

Observe!

So, while you were building that, how did you... go trough your work day?

And would you build something nicer, if struck by a foul mood?

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I think everyone has some creative ability. Translating that creative spark to the medium presented by Minecraft can be tough though. I usually build boxes.....I haven't gotten used to the mods yet so don't know all the tricks to make something look nice and be useful at the same time. That and being really lazy....I don't have the best heat exhaust vents installed in my system and creativity causes me to overheat and shutdown.

I will give examples if I can.

Edit:
When I use me creativity.......usually with the help of others.
2013-08-29_083353_zpsd7222db4.png

When I want a box to put my stuff in.
2013-08-29_083436_zpse55dd016.png

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Build however many boxes that you like, but please, please, please use a different block for your floors and walls. Whatever room you are in right now, I'd bet my lunch money that your ceiling, floor, and walls are 3 different colors and materials. I slightly cringe when I see stone bricks on the floor, walls, & ceiling in a build. :eek::p:p:p

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
So rather than building a bunch of boxes, you've built a bunch of relatively identical misshapen houses from identical materials? I fail to see the advantage.
In functionality, no advantage, but at least its not a big prism

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
Build however many boxes that you like, but please, please, please use a different block for your floors and walls. Whatever room you are in right now, I'd bet my lunch money that your ceiling, floor, and walls are 3 different colors and materials. I slightly cringe when I see stone bricks on the floor, walls, & ceiling in a build. :eek::p:p:p
I agree

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Why do you care so much about what it looks like when you don't spend that much time outside it? These days I just spawn in a quarry to dig a big hole for me to live in.

Building = (unnecessary) effort.

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
One would think seeing how you speak of others works being mundane you would post something both unique AND aesthetically pleasing.

And TBH they still kinda look like boxes...

I am disappoint...
That's just my first building, I am trying some new stuff out, so stick with me

Conguy97

Jul 29, 2019
With all the windows on each level being the same shape with the same color above them is kinda repetitive, I think. The front is okay because they're all different shapes and you have the balcony to break things up but the back is very much so.
Yeah, I'll try and build/upload another one tomorrow. With people's help, I can be the very best that no one ever was

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Gimme your lunch money! :p

(The room I am in right now has the same ceiling as wall.)

That being said, in MC different floors and ceilings are hard. Less hard now that we have carpets, but still.

(Single block floor / ceiling = same floor as ceiling. 2 blocks = no room for wiring. 3 blocks = absurd height per floor. Microblocks can help, but tend to be laggy due to all the tile entities. There are some tricks that can be used like alternating two blocks, but they have limited use as they require both blocks to be suitable for both floor and ceiling.)

Personally, I tend to do 2 floors and then a utility floor, which sidesteps a large chunk of the issue.

Also, returning to the original subject, yes, I tend to build boxes. Why? I'll explain.

In this game, as in all sandbox-like games, there's a balance. Efficiency versus aesthetics. I try to do aesthetics as much as possible, but only without compromising efficiency. In practice, this means that my aesthetics are limited at best.

So, why boxes? A couple of reasons. First off, they are efficient space-wise. Not an issue directly, but it reduces the time to move between machines and keeps wiring / pipe runs as short as possible, both because wiring is relatively easy and because they are easily modular. Second, they are easy to automatically build, be it with fillers, turtles, or otherwise. Third, they don't require many blocks compared to the amount of internal space, which again saves time getting resources.