So rumors are GregT is now an IC2 dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who hasn't been playing Minecraft (Let alone modded Minecraft) for about a year and a half now, who's GregT, why is it a big deal for him to be joining the IC2 team, and what's wrong with IC2? I loved playing with it.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Now Announcing my new mod: Igotsmoreingotsthanyou

It consists of two machines. The first is made out of gravel and sticks. Put a single ore in the input slot, and it will output one ingot of that type every tick. Forever. The advanced version of the machine (made with smooth stone and planks) has a gui selector to output any ingot, every tick.

I win the ore processing wars!
Everybody else can stop competing.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Now Announcing my new mod: Igotsmoreingotsthanyou

It consists of two machines. The first is made out of gravel and sticks. Put a single ore in the input slot, and it will output one ingot of that type every tick. Forever. The advanced version of the machine (made with smooth stone and planks) has a gui selector to output any ingot, every tick.

I win the ore processing wars!
Everybody else can stop competing.

meh, only ONE ingot every tick? I sure hope there's a config for that...

fun fact! One can actually do this with a silly large amount of mfr laser drills

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
So, wait, in the new IC2 if I have what I'd consider a normal energy set-up of multiple generators(of whatever type) feeding into one MFSU, then down two transformers into LV and then fed into standard machines, that now causes the machines to explode?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
So, wait, in the new IC2 if I have what I'd consider a normal energy set-up of multiple generators(of whatever type) feeding into one MFSU, then down two transformers into LV and then fed into standard machines, that now causes the machines to explode?

The MFSU will explode a MV transformer, you need a HV one leading to a MV transformer leading to a LV. Note that you cannot have more than one HV transformer on the same wire as a MV transformer, nor can you have more than one MV transformer on the same wire as a LV transformer - or the transformers themselves will explode.

Otherwise your setup will work so long as you only have no more than one LV transformer per segment of wire.

No idea how much of this is "working as intended" and how much a bug, but it appears to be an attempt to switch to a network power system (instead of the server killing packet one IC2 uses now) yet create restrictions on how much power can be available. The limitation of this system does not effectively simulate either voltage or current, not even poorly, and the words need to be stricken from any conversation about this power system.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
As someone who hasn't been playing Minecraft (Let alone modded Minecraft) for about a year and a half now, who's GregT, why is it a big deal for him to be joining the IC2 team, and what's wrong with IC2? I loved playing with it.

1.) GregoriusT is the author of GregTech, which aims to be a total conversion mod eventually but for the time being is an IC2 addon due to relying on a lot of its base features. GregTech is infamous for its super hardcore approach to everything under the sun, which splits the playerbase. You either love it for the massive amount of progression content and cross-mod balancing it adds, or you hate it for making even simple things require effort, breaking convention and randomly editing other mods. People are thus afraid that if Greg is helping out with IC2 he will somehow make it aggravating to use. But so far it seems he's mostly doing APIs and backend coding.

2.) What is/was "wrong" with IC2 is the fact that the original author has been missing for about as long as you haven't been playing, and didn't leave permission to continue feature development. So the remaining devs were forced to just maintain the status quo for a long time, which has made many people feel that IC2 is archaic and stale. It still works just fine, however, apart from not having new stuff. Now however it seems like people have started developing an "experimental branch", which contains a glut of new features and a lot of changes to existing mechanics.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, breaking the established 1 ore = 2 ingots rule seems rather strange. Are they trying to make the mod not compatible with all other ore processing mods or do they just not care about anything besides ic2 - or is there a balancing mechanism like there is with Factorization.

The energy systems seems so broken at the moment, I can't imagine this being the intended state.

We'll have to wait and see, but if it is indeed breaking the ore balance, it would probably be the death of ic2 in my worlds.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

GregoriusT might be a 'good' programmer but he's a terrible game designer. For some weird ass reason he has the idea that "realism = fun" is a hard law, while playing games that take you away from the realism of your daily lives. What sandbox games do, just like a real sandbox, is letting you build stuff without the tediousness of real life stuff like the laws of physics and time constraints getting into the way. He's adding back time constraints and tediousness back into the game. I mean, IRL you need a saw and a lot of time to create planks from a log, but isn't the whole idea behind minecraft that these time constraints just hinder creativity?

In games like shooters they add "realism" because it increases immersion. But adding realism to a blocky cartoony voxel game where blocks can float actually breaks immersion and stifles gameplay because it takes away the creativity and turns it into a struggle against time to get the stuff you want.

Bottomline: realism sucks ;)

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
GregoriusT might be a 'good' programmer but he's a terrible game designer. For some weird ass reason he has the idea that "realism = fun" is a hard law, while playing games that take you away from the realism of your daily lives. What sandbox games do, just like a real sandbox, is letting you build stuff without the tediousness of real life stuff like the laws of physics and time constraints getting into the way. He's adding back time constraints and tediousness back into the game. I mean, IRL you need a saw and a lot of time to create planks from a log, but isn't the whole idea behind minecraft that these time constraints just hinder creativity?

In games like shooters they add "realism" because it increases immersion. But adding realism to a blocky cartoony voxel game where blocks can float actually breaks immersion and stifles gameplay because it takes away the creativity and turns it into a struggle against time to get the stuff you want.

Bottomline: realism sucks ;)
well realism IS fun, to a certain degree. however who said that GT=realism?

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, if you read my entire post that's kinda what I said. That realism can be fun, in the right games.
i partially disagree with that. there is place for realism in minecraft, but gerg isn`t the person who can blend it in.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, there is NO place for 'Realism' at all in terms of fun, as there is NO link between it and fun. Frankly, it's often less fun then doing the real life equivilent.

Interfaces and mechanics that take from real life can be more intuitive. Sometimes.
Game mechanics based on real life can also be fun sometimes.

I wouldn't go as far to say their is much of a link between the two in this sort of game.

Gregs biggest flaw is his utter disrespect for peoples time. Everything he touches starts taking longer, through more liniar progression, with extra unessassary steps which frnakly take nothing from realisum when you get to the end iof it

I'm all for someone doing cross-mod balancing. Updating IC could make it great. Greg is probably the wrong person for it however.

Not to say the guy isn't talented. But frankly his idea of balance is more suited to fremium mobile games that sell "speed up all machines", "rare ore pack" and "Golden tool of do everything without 30 clicks" as in app purcahses. Time wasting and fustration make a lot of money there.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Player (IC2 dev) implied that the ore yield and the energy system are going to be tweaked significantly.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
No it won't. An MFSU outputs at 512/t MV transformers accept 512/t on input and output 128/t. The HV transformer is to step down into a MFSU.
you`re talking about how it used to work not how it works in latest version.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I stand corrected and that sounds like a bug. I assume that's 1.5 or 1.6, as it worked in 1.4?
well, there is no way of knowing if it`s a bug. it might be intended functionality that will remain. it`s definitely not 1.4 but i have no idea if it`s 1.5 or 1.6.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Take a large battery, charge it all the way, and then release it into your PC. Things will fry. Things will short circuit. Things will break.

Making things explode is a bit... far, though.

Except that this is total nonsense and the voltage regulators, fuses in the power supply, and internal resistance of the battery will generally just require you replace the power supply at worst. Modern computers are designed to work with current from your wall, and there is a pretty significant amount of work those power sources can do...

You'd need a pretty impressive power source and/or brutal misapplication (e.g., wiring onto the board) to do it. A battbox is not exactly an ultracapacitor...

No. IC2's rules have never been realistic. That's fine, its a game. But now they're more unrealistic and deliberately designed to penalize you. And I suspect they know this, so they're trying the whole "now with more ore per block!" To try and draw people in.

I actually feel really bummed out this week about 1.6. I do not like most of what I'm seeing and I see very little that is actually new. I've barely been able to log into Minecraft its such a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.