I heard you liked Iridium

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I read most of the stuff I know about it on Wikipedia.
And a bunch of other metals in gregtech/other mods.
Turns out Greg is right about how you get your metals and stuff.
But he is wrong about aluminium. It's actually aluminum.

Aluminium is the correct spelling for Europeans. Greg happens to be from the Scandinavian Area.[DOUBLEPOST=1374339047][/DOUBLEPOST]
He's German.

Oh, German. Ok.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Except we can also say Aluminium. And in my language, we actually say Aluminium too and in many other languages too i'm sure

We drive on the right in Europe... Only UK drives on the left. People should stop mixing Europe and UK. They nearly have nothing in common, UK barely doing anything in the European Union

Ireland also drives on the left. People should stop mixing up Ireland and the UK. ;)

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
i wonder if there is any info on tungsten iron and carbon alloy(tungstensteel). my gogle-fu kinda fails me on that one.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, since I've had 4+ people tell me in wrong...

I hadn't realized It was a localization thing. My apologies.

Brilliance

Jul 29, 2019
i wonder if there is any info on tungsten iron and carbon alloy(tungstensteel). my gogle-fu kinda fails me on that one.

Look for High Speed Steel or HSS. It's used in cutting instruments and tools, although it's not always made with tungsten - sometimes it's vanadium or some other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Look for High Speed Steel or HSS. It's used in cutting instruments and tools, although it's not always made with tungsten - sometimes it's vanadium or some other stuff I can't remember at the moment.
thanx. funny thing is that such material is nothing more than a decoration in mod that tends to be Realistic™

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
We drive on the right in Europe... Only UK drives on the left. People should stop mixing Europe and UK. They nearly have nothing in common, UK barely doing anything in the European Union
Yeah they do SFA except pay £48m per day to be a member, bail out Ireland for €9 billion, get screwed over by it's laws and generally just have a bad time! :)

Ireland drives on the left too.

Reactions: the_j485

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
The thing that always runs through my mind when I'm crafting Mekanism machines is that they must weigh thousands of pounds with all the osmium. That shit's denser than gold.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
AFAIK, Ireland has never been part of the United Kingdom or British Empire etc. etc.
Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

You're wrong. Ireland was a part of the British empire until around 1921 (officially though Ireland was recognised internationally as a republic in 1948)

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
The thing that always runs through my mind when I'm crafting Mekanism machines is that they must weigh thousands of pounds with all the osmium. That shit's denser than gold.
oh my... so cubic meters of rock in you pockets doesnt bother you?

Brilliance

Jul 29, 2019
Considering that rocks are far less dense than the precious metals, no.

He means that when a single cobble block (1m3) would weigh a good 5000 pounds in the real world, worrying about weight at all seems a little pointless. Yes Osmium has about 10 times the density of rock, but they aren't telling us how large the ingots are. Stone we know the size of ;).

Reactions: Loufmier

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
You must be American then. American products will all say "Aluminum".
Go buy a can of drink from the UK, NZ, Australia or well... anywhere else in the world and it'll say "Aluminium" on the bottom. Americans like to change common... everything. Like driving on the right side of the road, as opposed to Europe and most of Asia driving on the left (There is a reason for this).

I had a fun chemistry teacher back in school. A crazy, derpy-eyed lesbian scientist.
Err... no. I'm finnish, thank you very much.

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
He means that when a single cobble block (1m3) would weigh a good 5000 pounds in the real world, worrying about weight at all seems a little pointless. Yes Osmium has about 10 times the density of rock, but they aren't telling us how large the ingots are. Stone we know the size of ;).

But what if it is a hollow block? Only explanation for getting 4 planks from 1 log, so why not say that Steve makes a hollow cube out of stones?

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing Medieval II Total war atm, and Scotland, Wales, and Ireland don't exist. The French only own a single region (Reines) and Milan is a country XD

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I read most of the stuff I know about it on Wikipedia.
And a bunch of other metals in gregtech/other mods.
Turns out Greg is right about how you get your metals and stuff.
But he is wrong about aluminium. It's actually aluminum.

In Britain, we leave the I in the word. So greg is perfectly correct, assuming he is talking in British English, not American English.
(Please, no flamewars)[DOUBLEPOST=1374352237][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are you sure?
Because on EVERYTHING I've EVER seen on anything related to aluminum said aluminum. Machinery, the raw metal, etc.
I never once saw one that said aluminium.
Also: IOS autocorrects aluminium to aluminum.

That's because it is the american way of spelling it, and IOS is set by default to American English -_-