Another Thaumcraft Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
I seem to have made a dangerous amount of flux in my house. Is there any way I can disperse of some of the flux? I am very worried s to what it might do.

nardavin

Jul 29, 2019
If I remember correctly, growing a silverwood tree should make a pure node. Pure nodes will slowly remove flux from an area.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
This is what I've gathered from my own experimentation and from going through some of these forum posts:

Nodes:-
There are 4 types: Normal, Pure, Dark and Unstable.
Dark - Generate flux, which is liable to spill over into nearby nodes, rarely seen below Dangerous flux levels.
Normal - Do not generate flux, but will get flux either from nearby nodes, or from player actions. Will generally take action on it at moderate levels of flux.
Pure - Do not generate flux, but will get flux from nearby nodes or player actions. Always seeks to be completely free of flux.
Unstable - Not sure. Possibly similar to Normal, but generates low amounts of flux on it's own.

As far as I can tell, this has no bearing on HOW the nodes clean themselves. The common method is to spawn wisps (any flux type), but it can cause other effects. Excess of the Weather aspect can cause unnatural rain, for example. Pure nodes will continue to produce these effects until they are free of flux. They do NOT (as far as I know) spontaneously remove flux from themselves.

Effects of flux (i.e. flux "materialising" back into the word) have been observed as:
- Wisp spawning.
- Rain.
- Giant Spawning.
- Witch Spawning.

I'm fairly sure that there are others, but I haven't seen them myself.

The only method I am aware of of "cleaning" a node is to use bees, specifically those with the "purify node" flower requirement, obtained from the Pure species. These will "eat" flux, rather than spreading flowers or pollinating trees. The resulting crystalisations are deposited in the bee's house and can be either used directly, or converted into essentia phials.

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
so messing with bees is a good idea?[DOUBLEPOST=1371650234][/DOUBLEPOST]in terms of thaumcraft

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
One of the best ways to avoid excessive flux is to make a stable Mystcraft age with lots of forests and villages. that way you get a lot of pure and very large nodes. You do your TC research in the ages while using your magic in the overworld. That way any flux you make doesn't spill over. The most you will have to contend with is occasional rebalancing of your nodes when they are being drained.

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
another question. I have the goggles of revealing on and for the aura it says 105/95 and it keeps growing (the first number). Is this good or bad?

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
another question. I have the goggles of revealing on and for the aura it says 105/95 and it keeps growing (the first number). Is this good or bad?

Do you have crystal clusters about your place? If yes they do tend to keep the node overcharged. However they also output flux based on their element.

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
its a mixed crytal and it's only one. should I get rid of it?[DOUBLEPOST=1371653588][/DOUBLEPOST]and it just dropped back to normal. Maybe a wisp put it back.

Nanakisan

Jul 29, 2019
Mixed crystal clusters output
Air
Fire
Water
Earth
Vis
Aspects as Flux. They also help keep the node overcharged. Those things are only really important when you get to the end game. By end game i mean you start making your node bigger. Once your node is the largest you're going to want a lot of those mixed clusters. Vis flows from the largest node out. But they cannot reblanace themselves. So you need those clusters to constantly refuel it.

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
so I should not have the crystal for now?
to clarify I want to flux to go down so I can research and stuff again without worrying.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Mixed crystal clusters output
Air
Fire
Water
Earth
Vis
Aspects as Flux. They also help keep the node overcharged. Those things are only really important when you get to the end game. By end game i mean you start making your node bigger. Once your node is the largest you're going to want a lot of those mixed clusters. Vis flows from the largest node out. But they cannot reblanace themselves. So you need those clusters to constantly refuel it.

... well they can rebalance themselves, they just do it by draining the infused stone rather than drawing from neighbor nodes. If you keep your "grandfather" node overcharged, it'll generate a lot of flux, but will also start re-infusing the dull stone.[DOUBLEPOST=1371654411][/DOUBLEPOST]
so I should not have the crystal for now?
to clarify I want to flux to go down so I can research and stuff again without worrying.

Unless you are actually using colossal amounts of vis, you probably don't need a cluster (depends on circumstance). Also, researching has no effect on the environment, only the production and use of magical artifacts changes the environment.

Ravnen

Jul 29, 2019
It's my impression that pure nodes clean themselves of flux slowly, as well as reducing flux the standard way, by triggering various flux events (most commonly spawning wisps)

superaman

Jul 29, 2019
Ya there definitely wisps spawning while I was doing stuff like bees and mining, so you must be right. I also wasn't using my crucible or anything during that time