XyCraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
The fancy animation actually should not produce more lagg than a netherportal. The part producing lagg are in fact the machines, e.g. the Fabricators have to constantly check for nearby inventories etc. Taking that into account, you could only reduce the lagg by refining the parameters or just not using them as excessive as some people do.

Gun_Shy

Jul 29, 2019
The fancy animation in fact should not produce more lagg than a netherportal. The part producing lagg are in fact the machines, e.g. the Fabricators have to constantly check for nearby inventories etc. Taking that into account, you could only reduce the lagg by refining the parameters or just not using them as excessive as some people do.

Okay, well, what you aren't taking into account is that a nether portal has very few animated spots on it. If you only place a handful of Xychorium blocks, sure, that only creates as much lag as a nether portal. If you build a whole room of Xychoridite Bricks (and why wouldn't you? It looks rad), there's going to be A LOT more animation going on there. So comparing that to a nether portal is wildly inaccurate when we're talking quantities.

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
As I have no way to decompile and look trough the code, I tested your thesis ingame. After building a hollow 64x64x64 (24566 Blocks if I calculated correctly) Green Xychoridite Brickroom via BC Filler, the computing effort of render went up from ~6.86% to ~7.03%, whilst gameRenderer went from ~64.85% to ~66.27%, so I would declare both changes negligible, also my CPU usage was at a stable 12% for java.
However, after regenerating the exact same map and building a simple construction line for Redstone Engines from an input of iron, redstone, planks, glass and cobblestone using four Fabricators, the CPU went up to 18%, a quite significant change one could say.
Conclusion: The rendering of the animated blocks definitely does nothing about lagg and such, at least not on my machine. But be my guest to repeat this on yours, I would enjoy some statistic diversity.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
As I have no way to decompile and look trough the code, I tested your thesis ingame. After building a hollow 64x64x64 (24566 Blocks if I calculated correctly) Green Xychoridite Brickroom via BC Filler, the computing effort of render went up from ~6.86% to ~7.03%, whilst gameRenderer went from ~64.85% to ~66.27%, so I would declare both changes negligible, also my CPU usage was at a stable 12% for java.
However, after regenerating the exact same map and building a simple construction line for Redstone Engines from an input of iron, redstone, planks, glass and cobblestone using four Fabricators, the CPU went up to 18%, a quite significant change one could say.
Conclusion: The rendering of the animated blocks definitely does nothing about lagg and such, at least not at my machine. But be my guest to repeat this on yours, I would enjoy some statistic diversity.
Good to know :=)(yes it is supose to be difrent)I always knew it wasn't Xycraft!

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
6% increase in CPU usage just for using 4 Fabricators in line to produce Redstone Engines? That's a LOT. People use Fabricators everywhere nowadays it seems. If only 4 can cause such a spike in CPU use, what do you think multiple people using several in different places would do to a server? A question, though. Did you monitor the CPU usage? Was the increase constant, or did it spike whenever it was crafting an item? Did it drop down after all the items it could craft had been crafted?

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
In fact, placing the first one next to an empty chest and setting it to craft pistons increased the CPU usage by 4% itself, whilst the remaining 2% seemed to split quite equally, so I guess the ticking routines for scanning the inventory are what is the demanding part. Crafting itself created a short spike of 2% in the CPU usage and 4% in gameRenderer.

connerity1

Jul 29, 2019
Could you test if the cpu usage incerase also happens when you have the fabricator set to require a constant redstone signal?
Most fabricator setups only require to be active for a very short amount of time, so they could easily be restrained by a very simple CC computer script if they only do their scanning when they are active.

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
^^* To bad there's no way to force the fabricators to chill so if they don't find the goods needed they chill for a second ^^* Or just letting N number of fabricators from working at once and then just doing round robbin to let them check the nearby inventories ^^* Not sure how often fabricators check atm but if running through the inventories can cause that much of a problem, throttling it should be a good idea ^^* Going round robbin would be troublesome I assume but a simple "if nothing in nearby inventories sleep for 1 second else craft" should reduce the load by a lot ^^* Mind you, as I said, I've not read through the code. But if you expose that setting in a config file (or automatically increase it by 1 second every time the tic-rate suffers) server admins can set that up on their own ^^ Then again, Soaryn is brilliant so I'm sure he's already thought of that :) <3 Xycraft

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
It works fine with the redstone activation, the CPU was at 14%, still higher than it was without the Fabricators, but definitely less than normally.

Credinus

Jul 29, 2019
^^* To bad there's no way to force the fabricators to chill so if they don't find the goods needed they chill for a second ^^* Or just letting N number of fabricators from working at once and then just doing round robbin to let them check the nearby inventories ^^* Not sure how often fabricators check atm but if running through the inventories can cause that much of a problem, throttling it should be a good idea ^^* Going round robbin would be troublesome I assume but a simple "if nothing in nearby inventories sleep for 1 second else craft" should reduce the load by a lot ^^* Mind you, as I said, I've not read through the code. But if you expose that setting in a config file (or automatically increase it by 1 second every time the tic-rate suffers) server admins can set that up on their own ^^ Then again, Soaryn is brilliant so I'm sure he's already thought of that :) <3 Xycraft

Does the fabricator check inventories while in the Auto:High redstone mode when it's not receiving a signal? If not, then an easy solution there would be to hook up a gated buildcraft pipe to the inventory chest and have it output a redstone signal when there are items in it; then, just drop a bit of redstone dust or alloy wire or something along those lines to send that signal to the fabricator and it will only be working when there are items in the chest.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Still sounds rather similar to the autocrafters. Those are able to do the same except for connecting them together. Not saying they're bad (not at all) just can't understand why people are so excited. Autocrafters have been in the pack since forever and I think they're pretty deprecated now that we have AE.
I like being able to dump buckets of water into a chest and then just pick up the overclocker upgrades out of a fabricator.

isnowcrash

Jul 29, 2019
Tried doing the same test with four fabricators. My CPU went up a couple percent when i first placed them but fell right back down to normal (same as any block). Having a chest next to them made it go up a couple percent but fell right back down again. Adding a recipe to craft made no difference. It raised seven percent with twenty fabricators crafting at the same time. My CPU fluctuates more just walking around.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
...hook up a gated buildcraft pipe to the inventory chest and have it output a redstone signal when there are items in it; then, just drop a bit of redstone dust or alloy wire or something along those lines to send that signal to the fabricator and it will only be working when there are items in the chest.
Why would a BC gate checking the inventory be more efficient than a Fabricator doing the same? Need to test the effect of BC gates on CPU, but if it's less then Xycraft is doing it wrong.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Why would a BC gate checking the inventory be more efficient than a Fabricator doing the same? Need to test the effect of BC gates on CPU, but if it's less then Xycraft is doing it wrong.
BC gates check their condition every 0,5 s (it is important when you want to make them work with redstone pulses), Fabricator probably checks more often. Checking if something can be crafted, with all effects of ore dictionary, is probably bigger CPU hog, but discussions about efficiency are pointless without some proper measurements.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
BC gates check their condition every 0,5 s (it is important when you want to make them work with redstone pulses), Fabricator probably checks more often.
OK that probably explains it. I guess Autocrafting Tables probably do the same. While it's nice to see items being crafted super-quick, there is a price to pay. I already have levers next to most of my Fabs, I guess I should use them more.

Gun_Shy

Jul 29, 2019
Conclusion: The rendering of the animated blocks definitely does nothing about lagg and such, at least not on my machine. But be my guest to repeat this on yours, I would enjoy some statistic diversity.

That's cool that you went through all those steps. Thanks. I have to know, though, do you have a graphics card? Or are you running this on a regular, run-of-the-mill laptop? If your graphics card is handling most of the rendering load, then your low CPU usage was probably due to that. I only made my original suggestion based on how I've seen most laptops (including my girlfriend's) perform with Minecraft in general (poorly). My lady's laptop has no independent graphics processing unit. It's all run off of her CPU, and let me tell you, every little bit counts. I had to work my ass off to boost her FPS up to a suitable level (even with plenty of RAM). I made that suggestion for the animations to compliment computers like that, and strictly computers like that. Maybe I'm missing something. Am I misled?

Vegoraptor

Jul 29, 2019
I do have a quite strong GPU, however, it was purposely overridden during my testing, so the regular on-board chip was used. Nevertheless, this is a desktop computer, and I also have heard of people having problems running Minecraft on laptops, even high-end ones, but this seems to be a problem with Minecraft overall.

Gun_Shy

Jul 29, 2019
I do have a quite strong GPU, however, it was purposely overridden during my testing, so the regular on-board chip was used. Nevertheless, this is a desktop computer, and I also have heard of people having problems running Minecraft on laptops, even high-end ones, but this seems to be a problem with Minecraft overall.

Thanks for being so thorough. That's fantastic. I can't wait for Xycraft to start becoming more realized. I know there's a lot they have planned for it, and it looks stupidawesome. I hope my lady's laptop runs the game alright alright with this mod installed. Minecraft can be such a cruel mistress.

RichardG

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to weigh in.

Soaryn promised adding me a config option to disable animations, but then he said those would be mandatory come 1.5. And now they are, but couldn't he provide replacement textures or something?

I hope he meant what I thought by "fixed crystal rendering".

Status
Not open for further replies.