Zombie Pigman farm

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
If you're making your diamonds straight out of gold, you will get that many. If you're making them from cobble, then more transmutations are involved per diamond, so obviously the stone will wear out faster. OP was talking about using a zombie pigman farm, so he'll be transmuting gold directly to diamonds, and will thus get 1521 per stone.

Ahh. I stand corrected on this, and apologize for suggesting you were incorrect. My bad, and I'm sorry!

The complaint that this is gamebreaking is still ridiculous though.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
If you're making your diamonds straight out of gold, you will get that many. If you're making them from cobble, then more transmutations are involved per diamond, so obviously the stone will wear out faster. OP was talking about using a zombie pigman farm, so he'll be transmuting gold directly to diamonds, and will thus get 1521 per stone.
As a minor note, it is, in fact, very easy to make it MUCH more efficient. Simply add another fabricator to make gold blocks first (presuming that you don't need a compressor for that, in your pack). The same quantities applies (4 gold = 1 diamond), but with blocks, rather than ingots/gems. This way, you can idle the farm for a while and get a LOT of diamonds. I made this a while back, as a side effect of my XP farm (had an enchanting turtle, etc.). Kept an eye on the turtle, not the fabricators, and, before I knew it, I had 3 stacks of diamond blocks.

Reactions: KirinDave

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
but for iron, there is probably nothing better than the ind. blastfurnace. iron ore + calcium carbonate cell gives 3 refined iron, directly without any intermediate steps. perfect for processing it further to steel.

Oatmonster

Jul 29, 2019
Technician said:
What if you need actual iron
If you have the EU for it, and you just want iron, using the industrial blast furnace with calcium carbonate is still the best method for getting iron, assuming you have gregtech enabled. Just macerate the refined iron into iron dust and re-smelt into normal iron. With this method you get three iron per ore, as opposed to the usual two.

Sudocomm

Jul 29, 2019
I play with all the mods on so I do use gregtech. What I have found works best for me especially at the starting stages of a new world is to make a Pulverizer, and Powered Furnace. Starting out you don't have to spend a lot of time trying to come up with a way to generate power to use a macerator (unless you cheat some power source in). Going with a Pulverizer, and Powered furnace I can put hoppers on them that will take 4 stacks of ore at a time, and then connect them with transport pipes. That way as soon as single ore gets made into two dusts they go straight to the powered furnace to get turned into ingots. On top of that when you user a pulverizer you not only get two dusts per ore block but there is a chance to always get other dusts to made into ores. Like with Iron that's how I make Ingvar ingots in the beginning stages of a world, because you get ferrous dust which when smelted turns into nickle ingots. If you take 1 ferrous dust, and combine that with two iron dusts you get ingvar dust.

That's what I prefer for ore processing pretty much through the life of my worlds till I die, and have to start over (hardcore worlds)...

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
If you're looking for random/fun builds, then I humbly suggest a .. slightly different gold farm.

Honey/dew + Melons = Glistering Melons. 8 in a Centrifuge gives you 6 gold nuggets and 90% of the power required to process it back (costs 50k, you get 1 methane cell worth 45k).

Not the most efficient or min-maxy build in the world, but when you have more honey than you know what to do with, it's a quirky and fun solution.

Reactions: netmc

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If you're looking for random/fun builds, then I humbly suggest a .. slightly different gold farm.

Honey/dew + Melons = Glistering Melons. 8 in a Centrifuge gives you 6 gold nuggets and 90% of the power required to process it back (costs 50k, you get 1 methane cell worth 45k).

Not the most efficient or min-maxy build in the world, but when you have more honey than you know what to do with, it's a quirky and fun solution.
Okay, that's just plain brilliant. ...Why didn't I think of that?

Also, as far as ore processing goes, it depends on what you want...max yield? Factorization, hands-down. With all the machines together, you can triple your ore output, as opposed to simply doubling it. TE pulverizers are easy to automate and work very well with their companions, the powered furnaces. IC2 macerators/furnaces have the advantage of upgradability, but they lose out on the 3rd potential dust you can get from TE, and only double ores, as opposed to tripling like you get from Factorization.

When it comes to power, TE and IC2 are fairly evenly-matched; starting power for both isn't that hard to get going pretty early on. If you've got the resources, and want to go the TE route, I'd suggest making TE steam engines as opposed to BC Stirling engines: they make twice the power per tick while using the same fuel, while only requiring water, which is easily provided by an aqueous accumulator. IC2's a LOT more straightforward when it comes to power generation progression, even with GregTech and whatever flavour of solar mod you might have available to you.

For making the gold/diamonds, I'm backing up the idea of the turtle-based pigman farm and the use of XyCraft fabricators. The fabricators aren't all that expensive to make, one just costs 4 stone bricks, 4 xychoridite, 1 redstone, 3 smooth stone, a crafting bench, and a piece of iron, which one ought to be able to get within the first hour or so of any map. They can also be daisy-chained to one another, making them quite compact.

Though, if you wanna go the fancy route, you could use Applied Energistics autocrafting. I dunno how well it interfaces with minium stones, but it'd be different!

Augustuslwz

Jul 29, 2019
i'm using yogscraft but the Xycraft mod is not in yogscraft so i need to find another way without xycraft.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Also, the Tinkers Constructs Oreberry Bushes can be automated with an MFR Harvester. Granted, not the fastest in the world, a zombie pigman farm is going to be much faster), but gold oreberries can be smelted into gold nuggests.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Well, what I've done before is an enderman farm. What you do is: 8 pearls->32 iron->4 gold->1 diamond.
This is in fact far faster than a pigman farm, by quite a bit, and only one small difference is needed, and that's a higher drop to kill them.