Xycraft Multitanks and Lag.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
Someone in the tweets also mentioned that Redpower Microblocks can cause lag too.. And guude totally dismissed that as a client side frame rate issue only....

But since its a microblock its not considered a full block.. Which means they all have lighting updates even though someone might not be around.. Which would make it a server thing... Correct? Seriously though.. guess we will wait and see.[DOUBLEPOST=1368576669][/DOUBLEPOST]
"@ray73864 according to the FTB team it is a problem with the code. It gets 10000x worse the moment any of the tanks get full."

"@ray73864 again, I will refer you to the creators of the mod that are aware of the issue and intend to fix their code."

Except Soaryn has tweeted that he doesn't know what the hell Guude's talking about, and he's the mod's creator.

Please tell me that guude doesnt think the FTB team is the mod creaters... He does no that FTB is just a launcher right... :)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Sad thing is, Guude is in heavy contact with dan200 and RichardG - or at least he's said so on videos. He should know quite well that FTB isn't the mod authors.

CovertJaguar

Jul 29, 2019
Someone in the tweets also mentioned that Redpower Microblocks can cause lag too.. And guude totally dismissed that as a client side frame rate issue only....

Redpower Microblocks have Tile Entities, like furnaces and chests. They don't tick, but they do add extra overhead, and the getTileEntity() call that all the block methods are required to do isn't exactly cheap. Fill a chunk with Furnaces and watch your server keel over. ;)

That said, a lot of decorative blocks do use Tile Entities to reduce the code complexity and block id use. Any Stair block that only use a single ID for multiple variants uses Tile Entities for example as does any block with more than 16 variants. My Stairs and Slabs both use Tile Entities.

The overhead per TE is low, but for the love of God, don't build an entire Castle out of MircroBlocks or RC Slabs.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
What made them assume Xycraft did it?

Obviously they looked at a magical exploding factory making rockets and diamonds and then throwing them around then blowing them up with block breakers and timers and stuff. All made from RP microblocks

But that's not it, nope. Probably that XYCRAFT MOD! IT'S SO ANIMATED I BET IT'S IT'S FAULT!!!1ONE!!

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
What made them assume Xycraft did it?

Obviously they looked at a magical exploding factory making rockets and diamonds and then throwing them around then blowing them up with block breakers and timers and stuff. All made from RP microblocks

But that's not it, nope. Probably that XYCRAFT MOD! IT'S SO ANIMATED I BET IT'S IT'S FAULT!!!1ONE!!

I heard several times mention of xycraft appearing in a log and I imagine they mean the ForgeModLoader log where it has stuff like this:
Code:
2013-05-08 04:50:17 [FINE] [XyCraft] Deferring MultiBlock: 2667, server
2013-05-08 04:50:17 [FINE] [XyCraft] Adding MultiBlock: 2667, server
2013-05-08 04:51:00 [FINE] [XyCraft] Unloading MultiBlock: 2667, server

If you have a lot of tanks, you can see several thousand lines of this in the log as people go past them, which might cause lag with respect to just writing data to the log. But that's not a problem with the mod, that's a problem with Forge. Vanilla Minecraft also has this problem in that the "Can't Keep up!" messages only compound the problem of an overloaded server with repeated disk writes on top of an overloaded server. It's like having a loud noise making you deaf and a guy standing next to you screaming into your ear that this loud noise is making you deaf. I'd really like a way to either turn off or drastically limit how frequently data can be written to file for logging purposes. Maybe I'm missing an obvious config option, but if it's there I can't find it.

Edited to add: Seriously, is there not a way to set the logging level to Severe? I don't need to log every time someone gets within 10 chunks of an empty xycraft tank.

Nirreln

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know about lag but they do cause crashing if the chunk they are in unloads while the tanks are operating(Only while traveling in the over world going to the nether or other dimension won't crash).

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
There are so many segments of the RedPower2 mod that haven't been overhauled and bug fixed, only updated or 'patched' to newer versions of Minecraft, that seeing this Retriever lag fix video doesn't entirely surprise me. If you are looking for a relatively simple way of moving items from Point_A to Point_B and keep lag low in the process, I highly recommend the ExtraUtilities mod (which is updated for 1.5.1 / 1.5.2). It adds an extremely simple item transport system that works with chests, machines, the works... and has been specifically designed to keep block updates for the system to an absolute bare minimum.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah redpower is one of the laggiest things ever i've been rebuilding my machines to be RPless and slowly my tps is going up.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Immibis' infinitubes have been a really nice alternative to RP stuff. Once I get RedNet in my hands...

I'm suddenly questioning why I haven't updated to 1.5 yet. If IC2 updates soon I think I'll do just that.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Immibis' infinitubes have been a really nice alternative to RP stuff. Once I get RedNet in my hands...

Infinitubes are definitely the evolution of redpower tubes. Every input to the "network" is a filter. No timers needed. Nothing holds inventory, and items transport only when there is a recipient.

Unfortunately, Immibis has been telling people to look to AE, so I wonder if he's planning on discontinuing. AE works well with infinitubes but they're not the same thing and fill different roles.

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
I really dont see the problem here. Someone claimed that Mindcrack guys are targeting a mod as the source of the lag, but they arent blaming XyCraft, they're blaming an element of it. And again if its solved the problem I really don't see the issue. Maybe Guude dealt with the problem in an over dramatic way, but he does seem to know a lot about the server side stuff.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Infinitubes are definitely the evolution of redpower tubes. Every input to the "network" is a filter. No timers needed. Nothing holds inventory, and items transport only when there is a recipient.

Unfortunately, Immibis has been telling people to look to AE, so I wonder if he's planning on discontinuing. AE works well with infinitubes but they're not the same thing and fill different roles.

That's... not good. AE is an amazing mod, but I use it for item storage, and compressing my previously massively space-inefficient sorting room into five blocks. I need something independent for inventory-to-inventory item transportation.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I really dont see the problem here. Someone claimed that Mindcrack guys are targeting a mod as the source of the lag, but they arent blaming XyCraft, they're blaming an element of it. And again if its solved the problem I really don't see the issue. Maybe Guude dealt with the problem in an over dramatic way, but he does seem to know a lot about the server side stuff.
Well the problem is it hasnt fixed the problem.
On the topic of the mindcrack server i dont know the details but i t could be that the cpu isnt up to par or they havent tried something like the tickthreading mod that does work very well at getting the tps up.