SaarB

Jul 29, 2019
hey guys!
first of all here are the details:
im running this on a VPS machnie , on Debian ,
2GB ram , 64 bit VSwap 2GB
FTB ultimate right now at 1.0.1.
anyway my problem is i installed my server with this tut:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/johnleys-fast-and-easy-server-setup-guide.1290/
the server is installed on root if it matters.
so im logging in my Putty , doing ./ServerStart.sh
server is running , got the consol all great.
if i close the putty window the server crashes.
if i leave it open after like 10-20 minutes , it crashes.
i need to fix that+to somehow auto-run if it crashes.
please help me guys :)
thanks!

SaarB

Jul 29, 2019
the server dosent crush because of him , the Putty client is losing connection after some amount of time, and that causes the Consol to close which closes the server.
i dont want to have to be connected to the putty in order for the server to work!

Nessiroj

Jul 29, 2019
Normally putty shouldn't let the server stop when you close the connection, unless your not running the server in a seperate screen.
Did you read further down or only the first post (and not follow the link in the guide)?

UnionCraft

Jul 29, 2019
type
Code:
apt-get install screen
It should install a few things
Then type
Code:
screen ./ServerStart.sh

Now you can close putty and the server should keep running.

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
Like others have said, your server isn't crashing... you're running as root (a "bad thing" btw) in a SSH session; when PuTTY closes or loses connection, it will close the session and all running processes... including your minecraft server.

As UnionCraft has said, install screen, but run it like this...
Code:
screen -s FTB ./ServerStart.sh

This will start a screen session named FTB; if you close your SSH session or it times out, you can easily reconnect to it after logging in via
Code:
screen -r FTB

It probably wouldn't hurt to learn a bit more about screen.

SaarB

Jul 29, 2019
Like others have said, your server isn't crashing... you're running as root (a "bad thing" btw) in a SSH session; when PuTTY closes or loses connection, it will close the session and all running processes... including your minecraft server.

As UnionCraft has said, install screen, but run it like this...
Code:
screen -s FTB ./ServerStart.sh

This will start a screen session named FTB; if you close your SSH session or it times out, you can easily reconnect to it after logging in via
Code:
screen -r FTB

It probably wouldn't hurt to learn a bit more about screen.
Hey , thank you for the answer.
but i just wanted to ask why is that a bad thing?
the server is suppose to be only for 1 server not multi servers , so it dosent matter right?
i mean , it dosent take any extra Ram or somthing like that right?
Thanks for the quick answer , and very useful!

CoderJ

Jul 29, 2019
Running any service that is exposed (http, imap, minecraft, etc) as root is bad because if the service becomes comprimised (which happens) the attacker now has easy root access to your system. That is a very bad thing.

If you read through the guide like you said you did tgere is a part where he describes how to make a new user just for running the server.

Trust me, it seems like a pain until it happens... and then everyone says "Told you so."

SaarB

Jul 29, 2019
Running any service that is exposed (http, imap, minecraft, etc) as root is bad because if the service becomes comprimised (which happens) the attacker now has easy root access to your system. That is a very bad thing.

If you read through the guide like you said you did tgere is a part where he describes how to make a new user just for running the server.

Trust me, it seems like a pain until it happens... and then everyone says "Told you so."
well even that the server is only for a few pepole that also record on it , and no one suppose to have the IP ,
ill do it anyway.
thanks for the advice.
if it works like that.. you can close the theard i got my questions answered!