What do you consider cheating?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Darn it Beast. First I miss read your name all the time and now you have to say this! Oy my innocent brain will never be the same.

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
As I've said in another thread, I turn on Creative mode to build large buildings and structures. I never really considered this cheating because creative building is basically a different game for me. When I construct a new building, I'm taking a break from the game where you accumulate resources to build machines and am starting a new game where the goal is to build the most aesthetically pleasing & spatially efficient structure possible. The fact that both games exist within the same world is one of the reasons why I keep coming back to Minecraft.
Does this only apply for new worlds that you make just for creative, or do you switch to creative in your survival world?

Affex

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I sometimes get carried away, too.

This one time I got killed by a Lich. I didn't give myself my lost items back, though. I got them back legitimately, and then nuked the Lich castle.
Well, Me and the Lich used to have problems as well.... used to
xcrubb.png

JPandaGamer

Jul 29, 2019
If I can get it at the time and it only requires time, I will sacrifice recources for time (a diamond per hour early on, scaling into iridium plates endgame)
My example is making a witch shard. If I have the hut, I will sacrifice 9 or so diamonds for the time it takes to build the farm and kill the witches (I usually overestimate the time to make it more fair)

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
Wow the hubris of this asshole lambert is astonishing:
"Not using gregtech is cheating? Sorry but that is the single most moronic statement I have ever seen on these forums. Be ashamed of your stupidity if you seriously believe that! "
"if ANYONE thinks playing without Gregtech is "cheating" then grow the fuck up. "
"That logic is not only flawed, it's bloody idiotic. "
"Making suggestions in the OP: Stupid idea. "
"upset? no. Irritated, yes."
"There is NO way to measure difficulty in minecraft. None. Attributing difficulty to time spent is plain wrong."
"The ONLY thing in modded minecraft that can be called "hard" or "easy" are things like killing mobs."
"Killing a zombie is easier than killing a skeleton. It's easier if you have amazing armour."
"It is not HARDER it just takes LONGER."
"I turn mob griefing off, some will call that cheating but I don't care."
"You play within the boundaries of the gamemode you're in."
"Play the game as it's intended to be played."
"cept the idea of not playing without GT being cheating is not worthy of any merit whatsoever "
"your logic is way outta whack with reality. This thread, and you, are not worth my time. "
"OPINIONS ALL THE TIME!"

cheechako

Jul 29, 2019
I jumped to the end of the thread to find the answer. Is that cheating?[DOUBLEPOST=1365704190][/DOUBLEPOST]
I jumped to the end of the thread to find the answer. Is that cheating?

p.s. Every thread asking about cheating/legit/etc. should be closed. Hasn't it been said to death that MC is a sandbox game and you should play it the way you (or/your server/group) wants to play it.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Wow the hubris of this asshole lambert is astonishing:
"Not using gregtech is cheating? Sorry but that is the single most moronic statement I have ever seen on these forums. Be ashamed of your stupidity if you seriously believe that! "
"if ANYONE thinks playing without Gregtech is "cheating" then grow the fuck up. "
"upset? no. Irritated, yes."
"There is NO way to measure difficulty in minecraft. None. Attributing difficulty to time spent is plain wrong."
"The ONLY thing in modded minecraft that can be called "hard" or "easy" are things like killing mobs."
"Killing a zombie is easier than killing a skeleton. It's easier if you have amazing armour."
"It is not HARDER it just takes LONGER."
"I turn mob griefing off, some will call that cheating but I don't care."
"You play within the boundaries of the gamemode you're in."
"Play the game as it's intended to be played."
"cept the idea of not playing without GT being cheating is not worthy of any merit whatsoever "
"your logic is way outta whack with reality. This thread, and you, are not worth my time. "
"OPINIONS ALL THE TIME!"

I wish there was a downvote on this forum you ignorant trash heap.

He can have his own opinions, go eat your pretzels.

EDIT: Also, on topic of this thread I have keepInventory true and mobGriefing false. I sometimes delete diamonds or other items of equal value to oppose grinding for soul shards, and basic things like that.

I spawn the items in if the game screws me over for something.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
I wish there was a downvote on this forum you ignorant trash heap.

He can have his own opinions, go eat your pretzels.

EDIT: Also, on topic of this thread I have keepInventory true and mobGriefing false. I sometimes delete diamonds or other items of equal value to oppose grinding for soul shards, and basic things like that.

I spawn the items in if the game screws me over for something.

Yeah if only he'd allow others the same courtesy maybe. Or is that to much to ask? Or did you miss all the four letter words and name calling throughout that? Also that isn't my ignorant trash heap, those are all his words, perhaps you didn't understand what all the quotes were for. I do agree, I wish there was a downvote button, as I'd have hit it for each and every one of those comments. You can go back to riding his sack now.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Angry fan attack?

Dude Lambert, looks like you really are a celebrity now :D.

I wouldn't call myself a fan of Lambert's, but I rather like the english Irishman.

It was pointless hatred on that fella up there's part.

Also, go eat some pretzels is my catchphrase, I think.[DOUBLEPOST=1365704852][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah if only he'd allow others the same curtsey maybe. Or is that to much to ask? Or did you miss all the four letter words and name calling throughout that? Also that isn't my ignorant trash heap, those are all his words, perhaps you didn't understand what all the quotes were for. I do agree, I wish there was a downvote button, as I'd have hit it for each and every one of those comments. You can go back to riding his sack now.

Still there is no room for such bitter hatred.

I understand those are his words, I was calling you a ignorant trash heap. For the Love of God man..

Go eat some pretzels and calm down.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't call myself a fan of Lambert's, but I rather like the english Irishman.

It was pointless hatred on that fella up there's part.

Also, go eat some pretzels is my catchphrase, I think.[DOUBLEPOST=1365704852][/DOUBLEPOST]

Still there is no room for such bitter hatred.

I understand those are his words, I was calling you a ignorant trash heap. For the Love of God man..

Eat some pretzels and calm down.

Yeah and where did that hatred start? Please point that out for us would you. Could it possible be:
"Be ashamed of your stupidity if you seriously believe that!"

Yet here you sit and defend his right to call others idiots, stupid, fucking children and all manner of other things, but when anyone points out his asinine behavior you stand behind it like it was from the mouth of a saint. I posted all of 9 words of my own in that and yet you call it "My heap". Back to the sack with you.

Technician

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah and where did that hatred start? Please point that out for us would you. Could it possible be:

Yet here you sit and defend his right to call others idiots, stupid, fucking children and all manner of other things, but when anyone points out his asinine behavior you stand behind it like it was from the mouth of a saint. I posted all of 9 words of my own in that and yet you call it "My heap". Back to the sack with you.

Lambert isn't a saint. He might not even be religious so...

It's simply how he carries himself, He can do that if he wants.

Anyway, I'm done with you. Goodbye.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019

The difference is, Lambert is calling people names for holding a position he adamantly opposes. You are calling people names, for calling other people names.

One of those is understandable and acceptable, the other is wildly hypocritical.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
The difference is, Lambert is calling people names for holding a position he adamantly opposes. You are calling people names, for calling other people names.

One of those is understandable and acceptable, the other is wildly hypocritical.
LMAO, so someone acts like an asshole calling other people names such as "idiot", "stupid" and "fucking children", and I'm not allowed to call him as such. How about this my position is if you have an opinion state the opinion only and leave the name calling out of it, so since he failed on the second part I'm going to call him on it. Why is he allowed to call people "fucking children" and he's just "holding a position he adamantly opposes", yet no one else is allowed to do the same? That is hypocrisy. His posts were not acceptable, nor understandable, they were wildly arrogant rants full of four letter words, personal insults and just plain douche-baggery. Seriously though:

That is acceptable, but this:
"Wow the hubris of this asshole lambert is astonishing:"

is not. By that same metric, neither you nor technician should have said a single word about my post now should you? Yet here I am defending my 9 WORDS to the rabid lambert fan fest.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
LMAO, so someone acts like an asshole calling other people names such as "idiot", "stupid" and "fucking children", and I'm not allowed to call him as such. How about this my position is if you have an opinion state the opinion only and leave the name calling out of it, so since he failed on the second part I'm going to call him on it. Why is he allowed to call people "fucking children" and he's just "holding a position he adamantly opposes", yet no one else is allowed to do the same? That is hypocrisy. His posts were not acceptable, nor understandable, they were wildly arrogant rants full of four letter words, personal insults and just plain douche-baggery. Seriously though:

That is acceptable, but this:
"Wow the hubris of this asshole lambert is astonishing:"

is not. By that same metric, neither you nor technician should have said a single word about my post now should you? Yet here I am defending my 9 WORDS to the rabid lambert fan fest.

It's not the nine words. it's the time it took to compile a list of every single quote he wrote in a 7 page thread combined with the smug and overly aggressive tone.

Honestly, you'd have a better leg to stand on if you just said "yo Lambert simmer down brah."

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Also, Lambert's profile can explain him quite well. He's in the line of holding a facade and being in sincerity mode. Expect him to do such stuff. I come from tf2maps.net, and, let me tell you, Lambert would be considered polite there. It's a matter of growing used to it. You're not gonna get too far making fun of someone's opinions and how he express himself. Grow up and deal with eat. The world is not perfect.

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
Also, Lambert's profile can explain him quite well. He's in the line of holding a facade and being in sincerity mode. Expect him to do such stuff. I come from tf2maps.net, and, let me tell you, Lambert would be considered polite there. It's a matter of growing used to it. You're not gonna get too far making fun of someone's opinions and how he express himself. Grow up and deal with eat. The world is not perfect.

Ahh the upheaval caused by one person is funny to me. Fuck sake Lambo.

I think spawning stuff in a SSP is cheating.

Zexks

Jul 29, 2019
It's not the nine words. it's the time it took to compile a list of every single quote he wrote in a 7 page thread combined with the smug and overly aggressive tone.

Honestly, you'd have a better leg to stand on if you just said "yo Lambert simmer down brah."

I didn't get every post he made and mash tried several time to get him to 'simmer down' refraining from both personal insults and derogatory language while trying to engage in a decent discussion. None of that seemed to work and his final comment about 'I wish this thread would get locked/die' post pretty much sealed the deal on any kind of coherent discourse with him. Not to mention the post from GPuzzle right below you:

It doesn't really sound like he'd take heed of the advice anyways. I'd also like to point out that this isn't the only thread I've seen him act this way. It was just in this thread there was so much blatant hypocrisy in so many of his posts it surprised me. Just like the quote above says:
"It's a matter of growing used to it. You're not gonna get too far making fun of someone's opinions and how he express himself. Grow up and deal with eat. The world is not perfect."
Something he seems incapable of this. Yet everyone seems to have issues calling him on it, except mash, and even defend his right to do so while belittling others who attempt to point this out, or even do as he has done in this and multiple other threads. I also must ask what exactly was "overly aggressive" in my post? The use of 'asshole'? I'd say that's pretty tame considering the things he was calling other people, not to mention the personal insults he slung. But I guess an long as the insult is coming from him that's okay, just not when they're directed at him.

Roady

Jul 29, 2019
Holy hell, what happened to this thread in these last few pages.
(original comment here baleted as I feel we really do not need to discuss this more)

Back on topic:

Some of the things I did in my newest SSP map will most likely be considered cheating:
-cheating in a quarry to give me a chunks worth of resources to start out with. (with the intent of skipping towards setting up machinery and such instead of mining/caving normally, I could play vanilla if I wanted that)
-giving myself a jetpack to make it easier for me to find a location for my starting base.
etc.

On the other hand, I do constrain myself not to use certain things as they feel "cheaty" in my mind.
This does include said quarries, preferring instead the greater set-up required for frame-based-mining.
Computercraft in general also seems cheaty to me, because the ability to code turtles to do most of everything seems overpowering.
Abusing glitches also rings bells in this sense.
And probably some other things, but my mind ain't recollecting them at this point.

However I should note; that although I feel that those things are cheaty, I do not feel like they should not be done, or avoided entirely.
As an example, one of the most wonderful ways I liked to play GTA was by cheating in a buttload of weapons, perhaps some special powers or vehicles and just cause mayhem chaos and destruction.
Likewise I feel that cheating is still a legitimate way to play in SSP; judging that it only starts being "wrong" in a competitive environment; without such: what is this "cheating" thing people talk about, I'm just playing a different game 's all.
SMP MAY or MAY NOT be that environment. (wetter it is, depends circumstances beyond wetter or not you are playing SMP, such as if it is a building server, or a PVP server or whatever)

Reactions: Growle

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019
I have an idea - both fighters go back to your corners and we stop the derailing of this thread. Arguing over who is insulting whom and who has the right to do so is pointless because it will never end. Everyone just relax and get back to the topic on hand, please.

RE: the topic - I think the entire idea of cheating is really subjective. Here's my personal opinion on the list:

• Keeping Inventory On Death - Charms of Keeping are a thing. Do you mean changing the config? I'd consider that cheating considering you're circumventing a mechanic of the game. I guess it depends on if you use Twilight Forest or not. If not, then yes, it's cheating to me. If you are using TF, then it would also be cheating because you can just do it the "legit" way and make Charms.
  • Toggling Downfall - Again, changing the config? Yes, I'd say it's cheating.
  • Giving Yourself A Bed - Spawning in any item "magically" is cheating to me.
  • Making it Night To Sleep - Yes. Same as changing the weather.
  • Setting Your Home/Spawn With A Mod - That would depend on if you're on a server or not, I think. Like if a server admin wanted everyone's spawn to be the same or something. Sounds like cheating, though.
  • Disabling Void Fog and Void Darkness with Optifine - I installed Optifine and it was on by default. I didn't even realize it until I played on a different machine. So yes, I think it's cheating, but it's Optifine's fault. :p
  • Playing on Peaceful - Not cheating. Well, unless you're playing a Survival game and you change it to Peaceful. That's cheating.
  • Disabling Creeper Damage/mobGriefing Game Rule - On Survival? Yes. That's no longer Survival, then. Play on Peaceful or Creative if you don't want to die by creeper 'splosions.
That's my two cents. Take it for what it's worth ;)