Etho's FTB LP

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, my changing of the mechanic was mainly because it was an oversight in the operation of the machines - having the Smelter mechanically dominate the Pulverizer wasn't good internal balance. I had figured that out shortly after adding it, and even then, the only real issue is that there was a mod that added a ludicrously rare metal. Believe it or not, I hadn't even heard of Etho til this thread and in general I just don't follow any of the big Youtubers/streamers at all. Any major exploit or imbalance that I fix is basically because I feel it needs fixing or someone directly informs me.

Speaking of ludicrously rare metals, are Shiny Ingots part of TE? If so, what are they planned to be used for?

mos7wan7ed

Jul 29, 2019
I see a need for a tweak to the filler.

A new set of recipes that would still clear and build but would also allow the filler to output cleared blocks, similar to the quarry, by pushing out blocks to a nearby chest or connected pipe and do that at 50-75% of the quarry's speed regardless how much mj is input, but still goes at current normal filler speed when placing blocks down. The original recipes would be unchanged when it comes to block clearing speeds.

This would give a choice to those using the filler when it comes to keeping the removed blocks but not make it OP for those that would use it for strip mining if they choose it as a cheaper AFK mining quarry. A filler at 75% of quarry output it is totally worth the diamonds to just build a quarry if strip mining is the only reason for building the filler.

Those that use the filler as intended, to clear and build, wouldn't really care much about the reduced output if their intent is to excavate a new room in their underground base and want to keep the blocks.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I see a need for a tweak to the filler.

A new set of recipes that would still clear and build but would also allow the filler to output cleared blocks, similar to the quarry, by pushing out blocks to a nearby chest or connected pipe and do that at 50-75% of the quarry's speed regardless how much mj is input, but still goes at current normal filler speed when placing blocks down. The original recipes would be unchanged when it comes to block clearing speeds.

This would give a choice to those using the filler when it comes to keeping the removed blocks but not make it OP for those that would use it for strip mining if they choose it as a cheaper AFK mining quarry. A filler at 75% of quarry output it is totally worth the diamonds to just build a quarry if strip mining is the only reason for building the filler.

Those that use the filler as intended, to clear and build, wouldn't really care much about the reduced output if their intent is to excavate a new room in their underground base and want to keep the blocks.
hmm... no. The filler was nerfed for a very good reason, it is not a quarry.

Reactions: Freakscar

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
The filler is intended only as a builders tool to allow them to quickly clear land and make simple structures like floors and rooms.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
The change should have merely been configurable set to the current way it is by default.

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
The change should have merely been configurable set to the current way it is by default.
really? everything then should have a damn config because ppl want the unintended purpose of the tools to be available. Build a quarry if you want automatic farming. The filler is a builders tool not a cheap version of the quarry.
/manu

Reactions: Lambert2191

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
really? everything then should have a damn config because ppl want the unintended purpose of the tools to be available. Build a quarry if you want automatic farming. The filler is a builders tool not a cheap version of the quarry.
/manu
What he did to the filler was uncalled for because there was already a config option for it. All he had to do was simply change the default setting of that config. I don't really care if you think all tools should be used for their intended purpose all the time; they shouldn't imo. Using a hyperbole like a quarry farming is quite stupid though. Aiming at extreme cases only make you seem as unreliable as a politician.

akamanu

Jul 29, 2019
What he did to the filler was uncalled for because there was already a config option for it. All he had to do was simply change the default setting of that config. I don't really care if you think all tools should be used for their intended purpose all the time; they shouldn't imo. Using a hyperbole like a quarry farming is quite stupid though. Aiming at extreme cases only make you seem as unreliable as a politician.

I don't think it was uncalled for considering that there is already a tool that does the job for what people were using the filler. Why bother building a quarry when the filler was faster and way cheaper? Is it stupid to compare it to a quarry when people were using it for the that purpose? imo nope. Why is it that every time the mod authors fix something which evidently was a bug or not what they wanted with their design people complain and "suggest" a config so they can go back and use the unintended thing even thou the mod author is the one at the end that decides it. We can suggest and that is a good thing but this is going to extremes these days, and im not referring only to you, its with everyone, its like the community knows better than the mod authors or have better judgement.

/manu

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
How about a "Quiller" / "Farry" - a block that utilizes the 3D landmark system of the builder, but for the price of a quarry? Or, considering the umptillion ways to use that, even a more expensive recipe?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I don't think it was uncalled for considering that there is already a tool that does the job for what people were using the filler. Why bother building a quarry when the filler was faster and way cheaper? Is it stupid to compare it to a quarry when people were using it for the that purpose? imo nope. Why is it that every time the mod authors fix something which evidently was a bug or not what they wanted with their design people complain and "suggest" a config so they can go back and use the unintended thing even thou the mod author is the one at the end that decides it. We can suggest and that is a good thing but this is going to extremes these days, and im not referring only to you, its with everyone, its like the community knows better than the mod authors or have better judgement.

/manu

It's true that the mod is the authors and his decision is the final one but that will not stop me from suggesting to make it configurable(In this case it already was and the config no longer serves a purpose) because to me when a mod author comes to understand that their vision for the mod cannot be seen by everyone, they mature as a mod maker. I completely accept that they can tell me to take my ideas and shove them up my ass. To me it comes down to people do know better than the mod author and have better judgement for their individual case. Each person knows what they want from it more than the author does. Some don't give a damn if it's faster and cheaper and would still use the quarry because it's easier to set up. Others would use it because it allows them to progress through much faster. Not everyone wants to submit to the idea of progression the mod author has in mind because they simply don't enjoy it. Gregtech is a splendid example of this; he didn't like the progression of IC2 so he made a mod that, by default, puts it to a level he enjoys. The difference is he has made his hugely configurable to even be arguably easier than default IC2. He understands not everyone agrees with the changes he makes and knows it may ruin what he wants people to envision when they use his mod.