Unacceptable new ad placement

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SerinaLMMPT001

Sep 7, 2021
Why is it that when you include ads, everything goes downhill? I remember the old FTB launcher had adreels that only played while loading, and that was fine. What is not fine is an adreel that constantly plays, sucking my precious GPU cycles away from actually PLAYING THE FRICKIN GAME!

Please fix this, as it is no longer an annoyance, but a now unsafe performance stealing issue.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
There are no ads in the FTB launcher. If you are experiencing ads, you are using something other than the official FTB launcher, and should download and use the official version on this forum.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
There are no ads in the FTB launcher. If you are experiencing ads, you are using something other than the official FTB launcher, and should download and use the official version on this forum.
Incorrect, the FTB Launcher provided through the Overlords at Overwolf force ads upon the user in the bottom right corner of the application.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Incorrect, the FTB Launcher provided through the Overlords at Overwolf force ads upon the user in the bottom right corner of the application.
The FTB launcher is not provided at Overwolf. The only place to get the FTB launcher is right here on this website on the splash page. If Overwolf has their own launcher, I wouldn't be surprised, but it isn't the FTB launcher.

Swiegetank

Jul 29, 2019
Um, you are aware that the new FTB launcher is an addon to the overwolf platform, is downloaded directly from the overwolf website and installs the overwolf platform? Frankly, the ad doesn't bother me so much. Its the fact that the functionality to put an FTB desktop shortcut is currently broken and I currently have to open overwolf first to launch the FTB launcher.
OverWolfWhat.jpg

Last edited:

gdharron

Jul 29, 2019
BC, Canada
www.gd-ss.ca
The FTB launcher is not provided at Overwolf. The only place to get the FTB launcher is right here on this website on the splash page. If Overwolf has their own launcher, I wouldn't be surprised, but it isn't the FTB launcher.

ugh yeah man it's packaged with overwolf as per the official FTB website just under the download button...

Attachments

• FTB App.png
    FTB App.png
    577.8 KB · Views: 215

fatherjimbo

Jul 29, 2019
Um, you are aware that the new FTB launcher is an addon to the overwolf platform, is downloaded directly from the overwolf website and installs the overwolf platform? Frankly, the ad doesn't bother me so much. Its the fact that the functionality to put an FTB desktop shortcut is currently broken and I currently have to open overwolf first to launch the FTB launcher.
View attachment 39272

Yep I just wanted to play modded minecraft. Once I became aware I was going to be forced to install another useless launcher I didn''t want or need I changed my mind. Now reading this I'm glad I did.

gdharron

Jul 29, 2019
BC, Canada
www.gd-ss.ca
Yep I just wanted to play modded minecraft. Once I became aware I was going to be forced to install another useless launcher I didn''t want or need I changed my mind. Now reading this I'm glad I did.
It's really not that bad. I mean you're getting top tier very well setup and stable mod packs for SP and Server packs for free. An ad or two isnt that bad of a price to pay. Launcher is only open to launch the modpack instance then you can close it

Swiegetank

Jul 29, 2019
The creeperhost version of the FTB launcher is depreciated and no longer updated. Surprised its still working, honestly. Hold onto it, the new version through overwolf is both bloated and buggy. Just go to the main page of this site and look at the screenshots there.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The creeperhost version of the FTB launcher is depreciated and no longer updated. Surprised its still working, honestly. Hold onto it, the new version through overwolf is both bloated and buggy. Just go to the main page of this site and look at the screenshots there.
Overwolf version is apparently only for Windows. Since I run Linux, Creeperhost is still the default launcher I get from the main website.

Simple solution is, of course, MultiMC. Which is just... better. Not just better than FTB but better than any other launcher, including the vanilla one. And can by default pull from either Curseforge or FTB without serving any adds.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

krustymk

Jul 29, 2019
Overwolf version is apparently only for Windows. Since I run Linux, Creeperhost is still the default launcher I get from the main website.

Simple solution is, of course, MultiMC. Which is just... better. Not just better than FTB but better than any other launcher, including the vanilla one. And can by default pull from either Curseforge or FTB without serving any adds.
MultiMC is removing support for curse