Clicking 'Play' button in launcher does nothing.

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Skelatin

Jul 22, 2021
I am on Kubuntu 21.04
The old FTB launcher .deb installs and works fine when launching FTB Revelations.
I have OpenJDK 8 installed and set as the preferred alternative, it is selectable from modpack settings "Java version" in the new FTB Launcher
The launcher itself launches fine, downloads modpacks correctly and creates minecraft launcher instances in the /bin directory correctly.
When I click play, you can see a window trying to launch quickly and then closing maybe twice, and then nothing happens.
Note the old .deb version of the launcher works fine on this system, just tested... Revelations loads and everything just as expected.
I will attach the latest.log from the new launcher (had to rename extension to .txt to be allowed file type for upload)

EDIT: Figured out how to make it work:
I went into /home/skelatin/.ftba/bin/minecraft-launcher/ and launched minecraft-launcher manually (simply double click it) and closed it without logging in, now clicking the play button for the modpack works correctly, opening the minecraft launcher, where I am able to login with my mojang account and with the FTB revelations instance already in the list and the game launches properly as expected!

Edit 2: Had a little weird issue connecting to multiplayer servers, something about modObject missing, so I deleted and reinstalled the revelations modpack through the launcher and relaunched it and now I'm able to connect to these servers via the direct modpack IP such as revelations.serverip.com etc. (might have just been an issue with connecting to the lobby server) <-- Probably unnecessary and didn't matter doing this at all.

Edit 3: Also, by default, FTB Revelations shows an error using BDCraft resource pack, possibly other packs as well (invisible grass blocks), the error is caused by foamfix
simply edit foamfix.cfg and change this line:
# More optimized multipart model condition storage. Inspired by malte0811's research. [default: true]
B:smallModelConditions=false
set it to false like this and it fixes the issue without removing foamfix (which is required or the modpack uses too much memory), the modpack creators should edit this cfg and include this change by default in the pack, imo.

Seems that I finally made it through all the bugs and now have a fully working launcher and modpack, whew!

Attachments

• latest.txt
    24.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Mixel

Jul 22, 2021
I am on Kubuntu 21.04
The old FTB launcher .deb installs and works fine when launching FTB Revelations.
I have OpenJDK 8 installed and set as the preferred alternative, it is selectable from modpack settings "Java version" in the new FTB Launcher
The launcher itself launches fine, downloads modpacks correctly and creates minecraft launcher instances in the /bin directory correctly.
When I click play, you can see a window trying to launch quickly and then closing maybe twice, and then nothing happens.
Note the old .deb version of the launcher works fine on this system, just tested... Revelations loads and everything just as expected.
I will attach the latest.log from the new launcher (had to rename extension to .txt to be allowed file type for upload)

EDIT: Figured out how to make it work:
I went into /home/skelatin/.ftba/bin/minecraft-launcher/ and launched minecraft-launcher manually (simply double click it) and closed it without logging in, now clicking the play button for the modpack works correctly, opening the minecraft launcher, where I am able to login with my mojang account and with the FTB revelations instance already in the list and the game launches properly as expected!

Edit 2: Had a little weird issue connecting to multiplayer servers, something about modObject missing, so I deleted and reinstalled the revelations modpack through the launcher and relaunched it and now I'm able to connect to these servers via the direct modpack IP such as revelations.serverip.com etc. (might have just been an issue with connecting to the lobby server) <-- Probably unnecessary and didn't matter doing this at all.

Edit 3: Also, by default, FTB Revelations shows an error using BDCraft resource pack, possibly other packs as well (invisible grass blocks), the error is caused by foamfix
simply edit foamfix.cfg and change this line:
# More optimized multipart model condition storage. Inspired by malte0811's research. [default: true]
set it to false like this and it fixes the issue without removing foamfix (which is required or the modpack uses too much memory), the modpack creators should edit this cfg and include this change by default in the pack, imo.

Seems that I finally made it through all the bugs and now have a fully working launcher and modpack, whew!

I tried this but when I click on play nothing happen except the fact that if I click again there is a message saying that minecraft is already open and if I open it again there will be some bugs.

Skelatin

Jul 22, 2021
Every step I took to reproduce this, in order:

Running Kubuntu 21.04

I only have OpenJDK 8 JRE installed, using this command from the terminal (press ctrl+alt+T to easily open a terminal window):

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre

this package is available from the default ubuntu repositories
you can check your java version from the terminal with:

java -version

it should say:
openjdk version "1.8.0_292"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_292-8u292-b10-0ubuntu1-b10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)

I notice no difference with OpenJDK compared to Oracle, and OpenJDK is a lot easier to install.

So, I just completely deleted every file and directory the launcher created in my home folder /home/username/, FTBA, .ftba, and .minecraft, (need to press Ctrl+H, or click the menu icon in the top right in dolphin file explorer to show hidden files, to see folders with names that start with . )

downloaded installer from here:
https://apps.modpacks.ch/FTBApp/rel.../FTBA_unix_202105051818-5b1f30277f-release.sh
(linux download link on https://www.feed-the-beast.com/ main page)
make executable: right-click the file, properties, permissions tab, Enable checkbox for "Is Executable", push ok

reinstalled launcher using the .sh install script,

launched the launcher, installed ftb revelation,
pressed play, the "updating minecraft launcher" dialog came up, did something and a progress bar went through,
game didn't launch, just closed without opening a window,
closed launcher
I'm going to run inotifywait on my home directory and see exactly what launching the minecraft-launcher does... will edit, need to close firefox
ran minecraft-launcher, closed the window (didn't log in or anything, just immediately closed it after it finished launching)
reopened ftb launcher, launched ftb revelation,
default minecraft launcher opened successfully, I logged in, and the FTB Revelation installation was pre-populated in the list,
clicking play in the minecraft launcher downloads some files and then the game launches successfully
after forge loads mods etc, the title screen appears normally and the game is running

Optional (my preference):
navigate to directory:
/home/username/.ftba/instances/6890c32c-9f75-4d91-9381-ac4fd0d84b6e/config/
open foamfix.cfg, edit this line:
B:smallModelConditions=true
change to false:
save file. this will fix a bug with using resource packs (or at least with BDCraft)

launch game (wait for loading)
in-game, go into options > resource packs > click open resource pack folder button...
copy my PureBDcraft 64x MC112.zip and Sphax64x_FTB_RevelationVer3.5.zip from Downloads folder to resourcepacks folder...
/home/username/.ftba/instances/6890c32c-9f75-4d91-9381-ac4fd0d84b6e/resourcepacks/
back in minecraft, push done and reopen resourcepacks to refresh the list...
add PureBDcraft 64x MC112.zip first above Default, then Sphax64x_FTB_RevelationVer3.5.zip above that... press Done and wait a couple minutes for it to load.
That's it! Now I have a fully functional FTB Launcher and Installation of FTB Revelation.

There may be some dependencies that this version of Kubuntu 21.04 has, that some other distros don't have, but I would think the only thing needed here is java.

attached log of terminal output using inotifywait -mr /home/username/
while nothing else was running and then launching minecraft-launcher from /home/username/.ftba/bin/minecraft-launcher/

it's creating some files, modifying some files, etc

just in case any devs want to see what they might be able to do, to have the launcher do this, possibly even something as simple as having it launch and close the minecraft-launcher.. who knows, but it's a clue.

Attachments

• terminallog.txt
    90.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited: