Biomass production

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Beefchicken

Jul 29, 2019
Hi community,

I'm planning to start playing FTB again, specifically a pack that contains forestry, buildcraft (the old goodies) I'm thinking FTB ultimate reloaded or likewise. Before even starting my server/world I have a base and power generation plan in mind (which I really hope to be able to succeed with). I'm thinking of powering my entire base with biomass or eventually even ethanol. I remember this power generation strategy was quite attractive back in the MindCrack Pack days and was wondering if anyone uses this strategy and how well it works.

Since the last time I played I recall that the sampling yield got nerfed and that the energy production output from the biogas engines also got capped at a lower output. So I guess some prevailing questions are: What saplings are best to use for this setup, and which farm is the most efficient in getting saplings. The second question, will be using a biogas engine be still be superior as opposed to using a still and generating power from the ethanol it produces.

If anyone has any elements of forestry in their current base, feel free to share ideas pictures and insights it would be much appreciated.

Stay safe,
Beef

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
In 1.12.2 yes, things are a bit different.

First off, if you want a more efficient biomass yield, you're going to need to crossbreed trees. Yes, just like bees, you can now crossbreed species of trees. And one of the properties of the trees, just like the various bee properties, is the amount of biomass per sapling and how many saplings on average a tree will yield. And yes, this is just as big a rabbit hole as bee breeding, but without as much documentation and third-party mod support.

This is, of course, assuming you're wanting to go 'retro' with Forestry's production line. Otherwise, just use Industrial Foregoing's method. It's more straightforward and easy to set up. You want nine different types of things going into the bio-reactor to max out its efficiency multiplier. Then just run it in biofuel reactors. The bio reactor is even piss-easy to automate because it won't jam from backstuffing and only accepts 16 items at a time instead of stacks.

Beefchicken

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.12.2 yes, things are a bit different.

First off, if you want a more efficient biomass yield, you're going to need to crossbreed trees. Yes, just like bees, you can now crossbreed species of trees. And one of the properties of the trees, just like the various bee properties, is the amount of biomass per sapling and how many saplings on average a tree will yield. And yes, this is just as big a rabbit hole as bee breeding, but without as much documentation and third-party mod support.

This is, of course, assuming you're wanting to go 'retro' with Forestry's production line. Otherwise, just use Industrial Foregoing's method. It's more straightforward and easy to set up. You want nine different types of things going into the bio-reactor to max out its efficiency multiplier. Then just run it in biofuel reactors. The bio reactor is even piss-easy to automate because it won't jam from backstuffing and only accepts 16 items at a time instead of stacks.

Thanks! I followed your initial suggestion - old school baby :8. As it was a while ago I posted I have just gotten into a bit more bee breading, curious to hear if you have any suggestions on how the best/most efficiency (not necessarily the easiest) to utilize the oil strain of bees to generate power. I love forestry and would be really fond of the idea of generating all of my power through various aspects of the mods. Like what is the best way to use oily combs etc. FYI I'm just about to get into alveray so that where I am currently.

Beefchicken

Jul 29, 2019
Also another question. How plausible is to achieve a full-scale bee mineral farm. I'm curious as to how much infrastructure and bees are needed in order for me to reach the same yield as a quarry for instance.