Ask a Silly Question, Get a Silly Answer

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
(If you call pushing a button 3 times every two minutes, then moving a 1000+ lbs thing on casters with three people fun, then sure)

No clue ^_^

sploosh or ka-BOOM?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
(that doesn't sound like fun :( were you moving stuff via lift?! Also, it was a reference to the Doctor Who two-parter "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances", which is SUPER creepy. Look them up :D )

Ka-BOOM, for sure.

Will humankind land on Mars in our lifetime?

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
(Slowly ramping down the temperature in an oven to avoid the part cracking from thermal shock, then *moving* said part around)

Probably, though it depends on how long we live

carbon or silicon?

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
Halogens are more interesting, but quite a bit more terrifying.

Chlorine Triflouride or Dioxygen Diflouride?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Sun.

Interestingly, fluorous phase is actually a lot LESS dangerous than it sounds! It involves using perfluorinated solvents, which are actually very unreactive, and behave as a separate liquid phase to their hydrogen-organic equivalent; so you could have a catalyst with a perfluorinated tag in the fluorous phase, and your reactants in an organic phase. You can mix them together to make them react, but then the two phases separate once mixing stops, allowing very efficient separation of catalyst from your final product!

Why am I a chemistry nerd?

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Because it’s easy to make mistakes.

Why do I need to go to sleep earlier than 10:45 to make sure I don’t feel exhausted the following morning? :(