Good vs. Evil

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
7 and up because the laptop I basically had to buy seems to work pretty well. Despite its rough start....

Also, I just looked up the max turbo speed of my desktop, and its the same as my laptop at this point. Both also have the same amount of cores and threads. Meaning that when it comes to CPU my desktop only wins when comparing base clocks.
It still wins from my laptop in everything else though, as it has double the RAM and don't even begin about storage space (my laptop only has a miserable 256 GB)

As for the GPU.... I'm pretty sure my desktop still wins? Running lspci on my desktop gives me " Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Bonaire XTX [Radeon R7 260X/360] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])" and as for my laptop, its a vega 10.

Long story short, programming on my laptop will probably be as nice as doing so on my desktop (except for loosing screen size). Now, if only I would be able to get cargo-web to install on that thing >_<

For those that are interested in its rough start:
I always forget to look at the keyboard when ordering a laptop, this time it meant that the power button was just a normal key of the keyboard and that its up and down arrow keys are those half key things. Luckily I never use a numpad so I remapped some of them to give me proper arrow keys. As for the power button, I just wend to the power options to make my computer ignore it.

Also, my first interaction with the touchpad SUCKED with it feeling very unpleasant and rough but somehow that has gotten better just from using it?

I had to install manjaro instead of debian as there is NO way that the currest stable release of debian is going to work on a Ryzen CPU. This also caused some problems as the manjaro ISO is bigger than that of debian (or ubuntu for that matter) and thus didn't fit on the flashdrive I use to install systems. Not a problem normally but this was how I discovered that my tool to put the ISO's on the flashdrive didn't give a proper warning when it was too small. Causing me to waste some hours trying to figure out why I couldn't even select it from the boot menu.

Getting to the boot menu was also a pain. The boot menu is by default disabled, also you need to disable secure boot which you can only do after creating a bios password and rebooting it. Also, when the boot menu is disabled you don't even get confirmation that you pressed the correct key to get into the boot menu. So if you don't know the button nor know that its disabled (like me) you spend quite some time rebooting the machine to try different buttons...

The first time I booted into manjaro the wifi list was also empty. At that point it was getting late however so I just turned it off without looking at why. The next day I tried again and now the list was populated like it should, after which I decided to finally install manjaro on it.

The next day it suddenly froze while at school, but nothing was lost (it happened before the first lesson would start). It also happened a bit later that same day however it also managed to go 2 nights playing music from youtube and I'm still installing and removing software from it to get it fully setup so I'm not that worried about those freezes yet.

Also, installing the arduino IDE was a pain. This is more Manjaro's fault because apparently that program needs some files that are ONLY included by another package that is marked as an OPTIONAL dependency for the IDE. This leaves me with just cargo-web that I want to get working but so far the only "solutions" I found told me to install openssl-dev which doesn't exist on manjaro as that is included in the openssl package which I already have...... There was one result that told me to also install something else but that had no effect as well :(

Oh, and eduroam is just as always a bitch when using Linux. As somehow every school need slightly different settings on linux meaning I can't just look up what the correct settings are and believe me, there are quite a bit more settings than just "username" and "password". Luckily I just need to do it once per install....

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
7 I FINALLY managed to get cargo-web installed.

Turned out that "make" wasn't installed yet on the system, while git, a c compiler and some other developper stuff came preinstalled.

Also, it seemed that I killed windows by installing manjaro so.... thats fun....

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
6. On the plus side, I researched and correctly executed a recipe using CraftTweaker that creates an item with attributes, allowing me to alter the armour and armour toughness values.

On the downside, that recipe doesn't seem to show up in JEI...

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
5 I decided to copy a mono green tron deck on MTG Arena. I needed all my wildcards to get it, and I didn't even have enough but the first game was an absolute blast.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
4 so far the new deck performs rather well :)

I'm still missing wildcards to finish the deck though....

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
2 decided to play some more mtg arena. Lost 2 matches because the game decided to shit itself (they where ranked matches)