Totemic Discussion: Magical Totems

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I apparently underestimated how much stuff from this mod is not yet working :(
I guess what I should do is grab Minecraft 1.7.2 and look at the latest non-broken release...

Last edited:

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I apparently underestimated how much stuff from this mod is not yet working :(
I guess what I should do is grab Minecraft 1.7.2 and look at the latest non-broken release...
The 1.7.2 stuff is before the massive rework of design, only in 1.7.10 did it not become a horrific mod, design wise :l

And the thing about the bison, was that I had no idea how entities worked, so it was just messing around with stuff xD

Sunconure11

Jul 29, 2019
I'll make bison models and textures I guess, I finished the pisanosaurus model for It's About Time, and I'm not going to model yutyrannus for a bit, so, I'll see about doing it.

Sunconure11

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to start on bison. The real question is should they be vanilla-style hermaphrodites, or have both male and female sexes?

Also, seeing as this mod was based on native-american beliefs, I'll do a white variant of bison that spawns very rarely. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_buffalo

Last edited:

Sunconure11

Jul 29, 2019
Say Pokefenn, I saw the documents, but, were you planning on any bison being aggressive at all? This might help me with the models.

Sunconure11

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. I've decided the bison will be vanilla-style hermaphrodites, since the notes are not overly specific.

Last edited:

Sunconure11

Jul 29, 2019
I looked in the code of the mod, and what exactly was going to be the purpose for an entity named "Efreet"? It is not mentioned in any of the documents.

Also, where there any plans for hostile mobs not mentioned? I have a few ideas that may or may not fit in here, assuming it can be pulled off in a way that fits with the progression.

I'm going to finish the bison model this weekend, I haven't been able to continue it because of school. It should not take long once I start working on it, I have half of it done.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The deeper I look at this, the more I realize that I'm probably not the right person to handle that. I can't really identify with the design of this mod.
I could fix some of the bugs and problems with what is currently there but I probably won't be able to add new features or anything. I think I'm wasting my time here.
Sorry for disappointing you @Sunconure11 :(

Sunconure11

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, Pokefenn has a twitter account, maybe you can ask him on there for assistance?

Edit: I asked, and now we wait... I'm still going to finish the bison model though.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Sorta. I did say months ago that I wanted to take a peek at the source code regarding totems so I could create a set of Cubism-based totems. So... I forked a copy for myself recently.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Sorta. I did say months ago that I wanted to take a peek at the source code regarding totems so I could create a set of Cubism-based totems. So... I forked a copy for myself recently.
Well I've been doing lots of work on it too recently.
I'm gonna warn you, the code for the totems is pretty messy, and I can't count how many bugs and flaws I fixed. It might be better if you fork from my version rather than Pokefenn's.

Moridin

Jul 29, 2019
Well I've been doing lots of work on it too recently.
I'm gonna warn you, the code for the totems is pretty messy, and I can't count how many bugs and flaws I fixed. It might be better if you fork from my version rather than Pokefenn's.
I'm glad to see this has been worked on. This mod has always come off as being one of the more unique Magic mods and I'd love to see it back in action.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Is there a step-by-step list of instructions on how to set up and perform a Ceremony for this mod, including blocks and items that are required and where? I'm playing SevTech; Ages and need this done in order to get to the next age. But how to set up a Ceremony is apparently beyond me, and the mod developer never provided any tool for one to use to set up a Ceremony. This makes it the most likely mod I will cheat my way through and not care, if nothing can be done about it.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Is there a step-by-step list of instructions on how to set up and perform a Ceremony for this mod, including blocks and items that are required and where? I'm playing SevTech; Ages and need this done in order to get to the next age. But how to set up a Ceremony is apparently beyond me, and the mod developer never provided any tool for one to use to set up a Ceremony. This makes it the most likely mod I will cheat my way through and not care, if nothing can be done about it.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
I mean, there is a manual, but I can't remember exactly how detailed it gets. What ceremony are you trying to do? As far as I remember they require the totem base, and a certain one or two instruments to start a specific one (each one is different). After that you need to fill up the music bar before the other bar fills - each instrument can only supply a certain amount to the bar so for the more challenging ceremonies you'll need multiple instruments. Its been a while since I looked mind you.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I mean, there is a manual, but I can't remember exactly how detailed it gets. What ceremony are you trying to do? As far as I remember they require the totem base, and a certain one or two instruments to start a specific one (each one is different). After that you need to fill up the music bar before the other bar fills - each instrument can only supply a certain amount to the bar so for the more challenging ceremonies you'll need multiple instruments. Its been a while since I looked mind you.

I was trying to get the Ceremony that changes any sapling to Redwood sapling. I don't see how to select the particular Ceremony in the manual, and it only hinted by showing a flute and a drum was needed for the Spring ceremony. Playing these two instruments in different orders resulted in the correct Ceremony showing up one time out of ten or more tries.

For me to like this mod anymore, there should be, at a minimum, a Ceremony selection tool, because otherwise how the desired Ceremony is performed is very badly designed.

Regarding the instruments only contributing so much to the Ceremony's progression, I don't understand that part at all. Can you elaborate further on that?

The Ceremony for changing saplings also doesn't state whether the saplings should be planted on the ground, held in the player's inventory, or dropped on the ground within the Ceremony's area of effect. How does that work?

If there is source code available, can you do a walkthrough of how Ceremonies are selected and played in the code? Even a basic understanding of what the code is checking for would be helpful.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the code, only what I've observed from watching playthroughs.

The order of the instruments matters, you play one and then the other, left to right, and that should activate the ceremony. The saplings need to be planted nearby.

As to the instruments contribution, its a bit hard to explain... basically, it appears to be diminishing returns - so you play one instrument, and it moves the progression bar along, but it will only get you so far before it stops increasing the bar any more. For easy ceremonies, you may only need two instruments to get the progress bar full; for difficult ones you'll need to switch between a few. Have you got wind chimes? When those are placed nearby with a block of air under them, they will help. Likewise the jingle dress makes noise when you move from side to side, and this also contributes to a ceremony, so if you play instruments while moving from side to side wearing a jingle dress and having a wind chime hanging from a tree, this will help you a lot.

On Mischief of Mice's SevTech series, episode 4 covers Totemic really well - its an older version but it should hold true.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I was trying to get the Ceremony that changes any sapling to Redwood sapling. I don't see how to select the particular Ceremony in the manual, and it only hinted by showing a flute and a drum was needed for the Spring ceremony. Playing these two instruments in different orders resulted in the correct Ceremony showing up one time out of ten or more tries.

For me to like this mod anymore, there should be, at a minimum, a Ceremony selection tool, because otherwise how the desired Ceremony is performed is very badly designed.

Regarding the instruments only contributing so much to the Ceremony's progression, I don't understand that part at all. Can you elaborate further on that?

The Ceremony for changing saplings also doesn't state whether the saplings should be planted on the ground, held in the player's inventory, or dropped on the ground within the Ceremony's area of effect. How does that work?

If there is source code available, can you do a walkthrough of how Ceremonies are selected and played in the code? Even a basic understanding of what the code is checking for would be helpful.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

I got around to trying this again, finally, between RL interruptions, life, etc. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to reliably select the Rite of Spring Totemic Ritual. It always seems to mess up on that somehow.

Does anyone know of anyone who would be able to update or modify this modpack? I don't know if Darkosto is still working on it, or if any of the original modpack authors are working on it or maintaining it, and it is frustrating as heck to try and work out this mishmash of a mod.

I want to know if anyone has an updated version of Totemic that isn't so damned impossible to select the wanted ritual with!

Big issues are that you can't cancel a ritual if it isn't the one you want, and you have to wait until the ritual you don't want is finished before you can try to get another ritual. Both minor annoyances, but with the random selection of the ritual they add up.

It's also not properly explained anywhere that you actually need a Totem Base and at least one Totem pole block present for any ritual to be even detected! Took me a while to figure that one out!

Edit: I also managed to mostly figure out how the ritual itself worked. Although I have no idea why the cows nearby wouldn't convert to Buffaloes. They were in a 4x5 pen around the Totem Pole, there is something badly wrong with this mod if it won't properly tell me things I need to know, like, is that space big enough for what needs to be converted?

Edit: Tried and finally got the saplings to convert successfully. Tried getting the cows to convert as well, but no luck there, so manually hunted down the Buffalo Spawn Egg in Creative mode and got me some buffaloes.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Last edited: