To design a Hardcore or Expert Mode pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
https://crafttweaker.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#Vanilla/Commands/

CraftTweaker also has a gui you can use for crafting table recipes.
I'd really prefer to use an IDE of my choice to write the code instead of having to load up the minecraft instance, probably in creative mode so my character doesn't die while coding, to deal with a kludgy UI that would probably take far longer than just typing the stuff out...

But, I suppose needs must when the devil drives...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I've always done MM recipes with MM itself rather than CT.
Got some basic MM stuff working in my pack; you're welcome to reverse engineer the scripts (assuming I haven't made a complete hash of it).
(FYI: 'Industrial Crafting Unit' machines are functional- the rest of the pack less so).

Haven't got making the tutorial yet; but planning to cover it at some point in my BTS thread.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've always done MM recipes with MM itself rather than CT.
Got some basic MM stuff working in my pack; you're welcome to reverse engineer the scripts (assuming I haven't made a complete hash of it).
(FYI: 'Industrial Crafting Unit' machines are functional- the rest of the pack less so).

Haven't got making the tutorial yet; but planning to cover it at some point in my BTS thread.
Ahh, perhaps I wasn't too clear. I'm using CT for the majority of the other mods, and also using MM for MM. However, I'm not familiar with either one, and CT appears to have an annoying custom scripting language it uses which is poorly documented.

So basically, I have to learn two different forms of coding for this project, one for CT and one for MM. The MM one seems to be at least relatively logical using something very akin to JSON if not actually using JSON itself, which I'm at least familiar with. This whole 'Zen Script' thing for CT, however, is a curveball I didn't anticipate, and is being a bigger pain in my posterior than I anticipated.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Interestingly I find the zenscript much easier to work with than JSON. Might be because I'm an old skool programmer.
I don't bother with things like arrays, loops, etc with ZenScript, never honestly seen a need.

Basically:

recipes.addShaped(<itemID>,[[<itemid>,<itemid>,<itemid>],[<itemid>,<itemid>,<itemid>],[<itemid>,<itemid>,<itemid>]]);

Best CT pages to look at are https://crafttweaker.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#Vanilla/Recipes/Crafting/Recipes_Crafting_Table/ (for dealing with 3x3 and 2x2 recipes)
and the mods section.

Do note that some of the documentation on the mods section can be out of date, I quite often find that it's a case of the input and outputs have been transposed. That always drives me mad!

I always do my scripting in a creative world and use notepad++. If I want an item ID, cheat it in, hold it in hand, then do a /ct hand. That'll display the item ID and ore-dict entries to screen, and paste the item ID to the clipboard.
Once you've done some scripts, save, and do a /mt syntax to ensure no errors. Then you can reload the pack to see if the changes have actually taken place.

Likewise you are more than welcome to look at the MM and CT scripts in my pack.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Ahh, perhaps I wasn't too clear. I'm using CT for the majority of the other mods, and also using MM for MM. However, I'm not familiar with either one, and CT appears to have an annoying custom scripting language it uses which is poorly documented.

So basically, I have to learn two different forms of coding for this project, one for CT and one for MM. The MM one seems to be at least relatively logical using something very akin to JSON if not actually using JSON itself, which I'm at least familiar with. This whole 'Zen Script' thing for CT, however, is a curveball I didn't anticipate, and is being a bigger pain in my posterior than I anticipated.

The docs Golrith posted are pretty awesome. Most the examples work right out the gate too (When I started the docs were spread across 3 or 4 locations and somewhat out of date- using 1.7.10 stuff ect...)
If you want more examples go to scripts/recipes in my pack- 99% of them should be working. Help yourself.
(can't be bothered with arrays and loops either; just keep it simple. Keep it easy)

Worth noting; use ore dictionary names in the recipes (<ore:itemMaterial>), its a lot easier than (<mod:id>);
Some mods use generic names like 'resource' or 'crafting' for a range of different items with metadata. (unless you can remember what numbers correspond to a month later)
Also your scripts wont break if you change/remove mods from the pack.​

If you're using Notepad++ for writing your scripts; theres a Zenscript highlighter for it on CurseForge.

If you didn't already know it; /ct syntax is your best friend. (Its picks up about 95% of my mistakes)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The docs Golrith posted are pretty awesome. Most the examples work right out the gate too (When I started the docs were spread across 3 or 4 locations and somewhat out of date- using 1.7.10 stuff ect...)
If you want more examples go to scripts/recipes in my pack- 99% of them should be working. Help yourself.
(can't be bothered with arrays and loops either; just keep it simple. Keep it easy)

Worth noting; use ore dictionary names in the recipes (<ore:itemMaterial>), its a lot easier than (<mod:id>);
Some mods use generic names like 'resource' or 'crafting' for a range of different items with metadata. (unless you can remember what numbers correspond to a month later)
Also your scripts wont break if you change/remove mods from the pack.​

If you're using Notepad++ for writing your scripts; theres a Zenscript highlighter for it on CurseForge.

If you didn't already know it; /ct syntax is your best friend. (Its picks up about 95% of my mistakes)
Unfortunately, I use NotepadQQ because I run Linux instead of Windows, and converting would basically require a full rewrite. I suppose I'll have to make due.

Update- got some basic CT stuff on my Behind the Scenes thread. @ShneekeyTheLost thanks for the boot up the rear to get it done :p
(Theres probably a grain of truth in that 'Too Much Free Time' award)
Thanks for the resource, I really appreciate it! I'll get this dang thing done one way or the other.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
You could use Visual Studio Code, it also has CT support and it runs on Linux. Hope that helps.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Is that a blueprint in your pants or are you happy to see me?
Working example for Modular Machinery.
Something you might want to mention is that MM power usage is a minimum RF/t defined by the recipe. If you supply the machine with less power, it'll eat the power but not do anything.

Also, really like your machine incorporating an active nether portal. I think I'll just borrow that idea... :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Celestialphoenix

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Couple of things...

First, removing TiCon entirely. With Kitsu's Forgecraft and PrimalCore, it's really unnecessary. You can basically do the whole modifier system within Kitsu's, so there's no real reason for TiCon to be a thing anymore. You start with flint tools, then as you develop metallurgy, you can shift gears to metal tools.

Second, I may be doing a pair of packs, one 'normal mode' without the extensive changes to recipes, and one 'mediumcore' mode which is gated and tiered and quested and everything. Normal mode might not make a lot of sense at first, though. I'm still trying to figure if it should even be a thing really. But if anyone is interested, I could probably push that out by the end of the week, tops. It would probably represent the lower-tiered tech where PrimalCore and BWM help you work your way up to Immersive Engineering and Simple Storage Network.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Outta curiosity, what's so great about Kitsu's?
Well, it does alloying/smelting far better, albeit in smaller batches. It also lets you smith out the 'head' of the tool, you can then use the workbench thing with the mod to add modifiers to it, like TiCon does, and in general it's a better way of doing the same thing. And for the pack I'm creating, it has far greater verisimilitude, without the Smeltery that can trivialize early ore refinement (even if you turn off ore doubling).

Basically, anything I'd want TiCon to do, Kitsu's does better, for purposes of this pack.

Reactions: Pyure

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Is there a way to set up a pack on Curseforge without using the Twitch Launcher? Because I literally cannot use Twitch Launcher due to running Linux Mint, even if I wanted to. Without just manually coding the .json, that is?

EDIT: Tried doing the .json manually, however they seem to have obfuscated the project ID's these days, so I can't find a way to even do this manually anymore. FFS

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
After much arguing, strangling, dubious code injections, and shenanigans... I finally got the Twitch launcher working through Lutris. And got an alphadev version of my pack up. It is... VERY alpha and VERY dev. There is an interaction between Geolosys and Quark's Realistic worldgen setting that basically removes ALL ores that both sides are blaming on the other guy and basically not fixing. I don't have any modular machinery or any real CraftTweaking going on, so the progression isn't set up yet. Heck, the end-tier mods aren't even in the pack yet (Thermal suite and Industrial Foregoing). It also doesn't have a questing system, so trying to figure out what to do is a bit hit-or-miss. But hey... it's there.

If anyone wants to try out this unfinished dev instance, it can be found here.

Anyone have a good idea about how to inform players of the mechanics changes? I know that Better Questing is the default go-to, but I really just want it to inform and advise players instead of just cluttering up inventory with random crap.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Triumph/BetterAdvancements actually tries to implement something useful with the Achievement system, and works reasonably well if you're not trying to establish a storyline so much as hints. A lot of people have been trained not to look at achievements, though its use in SevTech means that at least some of your userbase will be acclimatized toward it.

Alternatively, expanding on the FTBUtilities Guide did work okay for Age Of Engineering. Harder to navigate, though.

Some documentation's definitely going to be necessary, though. I'd messed with Kitsu's a while back for a small personal modpack about a year back, and even having done that, it was a little rough remembering how to get started. Absolutely great mod, though.

Core early gameplay loop seems reasonable, between a quick trial and your descriptions. The first couple nights can be tricky if you don't have nearby surface gravel spawns, but probably intentional. Otherwise, looks pretty decent.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Triumph/BetterAdvancements actually tries to implement something useful with the Achievement system, and works reasonably well if you're not trying to establish a storyline so much as hints. A lot of people have been trained not to look at achievements, though its use in SevTech means that at least some of your userbase will be acclimatized toward it.

Alternatively, expanding on the FTBUtilities Guide did work okay for Age Of Engineering. Harder to navigate, though.

Some documentation's definitely going to be necessary, though. I'd messed with Kitsu's a while back for a small personal modpack about a year back, and even having done that, it was a little rough remembering how to get started. Absolutely great mod, though.

Core early gameplay loop seems reasonable, between a quick trial and your descriptions. The first couple nights can be tricky if you don't have nearby surface gravel spawns, but probably intentional. Otherwise, looks pretty decent.
I'm currently using Patchouli to be the guidebook. Among other reasons, it uses the book icon already present in the inventory to access the guide book, which means one less item cluttering up the inventory. My only problem is if I get too verbose, the text wraps off of the page, which is a problem.

My main problem at the moment is still worldgen. Specifically, I've been unable to disable granite, diorite, or andesite from generating, and it is really cheesing me off. I've got it disabled in both Quark and in PrimalCore

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I'd be interested to know your experiences with Patchouli - I'm trying to decide how to do the guide/quests/journal for the pack I'm working on, and Patchouli seems to have a lot more flexibility in some ways.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'd be interested to know your experiences with Patchouli - I'm trying to decide how to do the guide/quests/journal for the pack I'm working on, and Patchouli seems to have a lot more flexibility in some ways.
First, a caveat: I'm simply using it as a guide book, not a quest journal, so YMMV if you are using it as a replacement for HQM style mods.

If you know JSON and HTML/XML, the formatting will be pretty easy for you. Each entry is its own .json file in a specific folder. I think you can even set it up to have multiple books, which then have to be found in-world, if that's your thing.

My biggest complaint about Patchouli so far is the formatting. It doesn't tell you when you are hitting the end of the page, and it just keeps going off the page and clipping the rest of what you were saying, so pagebreaks have to be done manually. Which can be annoying because it means constantly opening and closing the game to make sure you're within the pages.

Having said that, it DOES do crafting recipes VERY well, and even has support for multiblock building. It can also hotlink to other pages if you want your guide to be a Wiki-style cross-referenced manual, and can also link to outside sources, so you can link to a particular mod's wiki page to give the player more information, if you so choose.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
First, a caveat: I'm simply using it as a guide book, not a quest journal, so YMMV if you are using it as a replacement for HQM style mods.

If you know JSON and HTML/XML, the formatting will be pretty easy for you. Each entry is its own .json file in a specific folder. I think you can even set it up to have multiple books, which then have to be found in-world, if that's your thing.

My biggest complaint about Patchouli so far is the formatting. It doesn't tell you when you are hitting the end of the page, and it just keeps going off the page and clipping the rest of what you were saying, so pagebreaks have to be done manually. Which can be annoying because it means constantly opening and closing the game to make sure you're within the pages.

Having said that, it DOES do crafting recipes VERY well, and even has support for multiblock building. It can also hotlink to other pages if you want your guide to be a Wiki-style cross-referenced manual, and can also link to outside sources, so you can link to a particular mod's wiki page to give the player more information, if you so choose.
Ah that's great - I really appreciate the insights there, thanks Shneeky! I'm trying to do something quest-like, but less of an HQM feel, and more like a guide book or journal really - what you said about multiple books is super of interest because finding notes in-world that get added to your book is basically exactly what I was after...!

The formatting sounds like a bit of a pain, but could be dealt with hopefully :)