Problem Mekanism gas-powered generator

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Anton_

This is a such a noob question - sorry.

I'm new to Mekanism but have played modded MC for a while.

I'm trying to understand GPGs (using ATM3-remix cos why not). I've got a nice little setup which culminates in a GPG well filled with ethylene (gas), and with a full energy buffer (so it's now stopped burning). So the GPG is working correctly (I think) and is full of power - but I can't see how to get that power out of it.

I've attached Mek's energy cubes and RFT's powercells via Mek's universal cables (as per various videos) and Thermal's fluxducts (all in the cause of science), but no power flows anywhere. I'm using batteries (or equiv) as an easy way to see if anything's happening.

I've watched a few YT vids on the topic and those players simply attach universal cables to any side and it just works with no apparent fuss or fiddling with sides or cable ends - that simplicity is what I expected.

I'm obviously missing something blindingly obvious to experienced Mek fans. Might some kind soul please point me at what I'm doing wrong?

Setup:
EauYagT.jpg

GPG GUI:
skvkVmo.jpg

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
In the second image, on the bottom right, what does the trash-can icon signify - it's not dumping excess power is it?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Many Mek machines are side specific, usually power in/out are the green square pattern face. If in doubt, plug power cables to all sides of the machine, and see which side works.

A

Anton_

In the second image, on the bottom right, what does the trash-can icon signify - it's not dumping excess power is it?
The trash can is part of the ATM3-remix inventory's GUI, and in the image I posted it is laid over the GPG's GUI, but has no part in the GPG. Mouseovering it simply shows the GPG redstone control status (currently "disabled" - cycling through high or low makes no difference).

A

Anton_

Many Mek machines are side specific, usually power in/out are the green square pattern face. If in doubt, plug power cables to all sides of the machine, and see which side works.
I have tried all 4 sides of the GPG. - no change.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Just trying obvious things ...

Is the powercell 'on' and able to receive on the correct side? Similarly for the mek cube.

Have you tried disconnecting everything and trying one output at a time?

Have you tried connecting to the top?

Reactions: Anton_

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Gas burners output power to the green side.
Your RFTools powercell isn't set to accept power, not sure about the others.

Reactions: Anton_
A

Anton_

Thanks SolManX and InThayne - my powercell was indeed not set to accept power. As soon as I configured all sides to "input" (I know they can be done individually as well), it started charging up.

When I changed its connection to other sides of the GPG, it did not charge. Being a bit colour-blind, I did not notice that the GPG's sides are different colours (I have to get really close to see) and, as you said, it outputs from green (when the recipient is set to accept!).

One side is a dotted green/pale-green square outline and the others are a dotted brown/tan square outline - I hadn't expected the latter - is it a muddy grey, or muddy red? I do wish more mod devs would make colours easier to identify (CoFH does a wonderful colour blind mode).

Next question - can you change the colour of a particular side? I tried using a Configurator - L-click tries to mine it (of course), R-click by itself or in combination with shift, ctrl, or alt seems to have no effect.

Last edited:

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Some machines have a button top right of GUI (I think) that allow you to configure the sides, but it looks like in that screenshot above, that machine is a bit more fussy and cannot be adjusted.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Yeah, Mek is annoying that way. Some machines are only partially configurable and some not at all. For the configurator, holding shift and using mouse wheel (or whatever your mode change hotkey might be) will cycle through the various config modes for the wrench.

A

Anton_

I can cycle through the Configurator's modes with Shift-mousewheel, and settled on "Energy" in this case.

I still can't find a way of reconfiguring the sides and, as Golrith pointed out, the GUI does not have a side-config button. Is the GPG's side-config hardwired, or am I missing something?