Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
For 1.12.2 can anyone recommend a way to edit (adding and removing) mob drops? Looking for a simple system, as I'm a simple person :D

S

sprackraptor

hi, I'm obnoxiously new, both to Minecraft and to the FTB Lite 3 mod, and I have some obnoxious newbie questions. is this a good place to ask them, or is there somewhere better? pointers to a FAQ or previously asked and answered noob questions would also be appreciated. I've been digging around the Wiki, but I don't know which mod is responsible for some of the things I'm experiencing (big black holes in the ground, lack of villages/villagers), so I don't know where to look.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hi Sprackraptor, welcome to the forums!

This is the thread to ask stupid questions for sure, but I would also direct you to the search function here on the forums first. You are probably correct that your question has been asked before, so try that first.

Lack of Villages/Villagers could be RNG hating you and not spawning one close by, I've had many a world where it took me looking over a 1k radius from spawn before I found one :(

As for big black holes? No idea..

S

sprackraptor

awesome, thank you both Cptqrk and SolManX! I'll try using the village finder, and the chunk-reloading next time I find a hole (I've been covering them over with dirt, lol). I haven't tried the search function tbh because I'm so used to forums where it's completely useless--if it's an effective tool here, I'll happily plug away with it!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
hi, I'm obnoxiously new, both to Minecraft and to the FTB Lite 3 mod, and I have some obnoxious newbie questions. is this a good place to ask them, or is there somewhere better? pointers to a FAQ or previously asked and answered noob questions would also be appreciated. I've been digging around the Wiki, but I don't know which mod is responsible for some of the things I'm experiencing (big black holes in the ground, lack of villages/villagers), so I don't know where to look.

Here's your official newbie kit :p

There are two major wikis you should reference constantly:

(Vanilla) Minecraft Wiki
https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_Wiki

Modded Minecraft (FTB) wiki
https://ftb.gamepedia.com/FTB_Wiki

And basically everything in between you will learn from experience, watching videos on youtube or from hob-nobbing it with fellow minecraft addicts, like you're doing now. Having been here for a few years now, I can tell you that if they haven't gotten sick of me asking a million questions by now, you're probably going to be ok, so always feel free to ask away :)

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
awesome, thank you both Cptqrk and SolManX! I'll try using the village finder, and the chunk-reloading next time I find a hole (I've been covering them over with dirt, lol). I haven't tried the search function tbh because I'm so used to forums where it's completely useless--if it's an effective tool here, I'll happily plug away with it!

Ah - if you've been able to cover them with dirt then it won't be a chunk error (which is just a rendering issue). Next time you come across one, maybe put a screenshot up on imgur (or wherever) and post a link.

S

sprackraptor

I finally worked up the nerve to jump into a black pit, and discovered it's not a hole--it's maybe tar? I'm playing survival/peaceful, so I didn't die, but it made me very sick for a while. so now I know! :D

and I found a village! and figured out how to grow wheat and lure/breed livestock, and then that I need to pen the critters up because otherwise they fall into caves and rivers and poisonous mud. next up: making slightly more advanced things! or possibly exploring for another village! or trying to bring home horses...

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I finally worked up the nerve to jump into a black pit, and discovered it's not a hole--it's maybe tar? I'm playing survival/peaceful, so I didn't die, but it made me very sick for a while. so now I know! :D

and I found a village! and figured out how to grow wheat and lure/breed livestock, and then that I need to pen the critters up because otherwise they fall into caves and rivers and poisonous mud. next up: making slightly more advanced things! or possibly exploring for another village! or trying to bring home horses...
Sounds like Sludge from Minefactory Reloaded. It generates throughout the world with default settings. It is also a by-product of some of its machines.
You could always try and use a bucket on it to see what it is(if it is indeed a fluid).

You can use the Golden Lasso from Extra Utilities, or Safari Nets from Minefactory Reloaded to move animals in a much easier way ;)
And yeah, you want to fence them in to avoid them running off or getting themselves killed. Easiest is with Fence. But any enclosure with walls higher than 1 block will do.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I finally worked up the nerve to jump into a black pit, and discovered it's not a hole--it's maybe tar? I'm playing survival/peaceful, so I didn't die, but it made me very sick for a while. so now I know! :D.

It's probably sludge from the MineFactoryReloaded mod.

EDIT: Ninja'd :)

Reactions: rhn

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
Few more questions for Revelations.

kTN2JKX.png

Are there any real thin glass slabs I can use to cover the water and lava?

Whats the best mob spawner/grinder I can build?

What mods tie in with forestry bees?

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Few more questions for Revelations.

kTN2JKX.png

Are there any real thin glass slabs I can use to cover the water and lava?

Whats the best mob spawner/grinder I can build?

What mobs tie in with forestry bees?

1. FTB Lite 3 should have Forge Multipart, which allows you to cut practically any block up into small pieces. Just craft a saw and then use that saw in the crafting window with a block(glass in this case). Placing the saw above the block/piece will allow you to cut it into thinner and thinner pieces(down to Cover which is 1/8 thickness). Placing the saw to the left of the block/piece allows you to cut them into strips of varying thickness. And repeating that with the strips creates small corners. It is suprisingly simple once you get the hang of it and it allows for a ton of cool features.
  2. I think the only mob grinders you have access to in FTB lite 3 are the ones from Minefactory Reloaded(MFR). It is called a Grinder. MFR also has methods of spawning mobs of varying kinds, but it requires the Mob Essence of other mobs killed with the Grinder(it outputs it as a fluid). You can couple Grinders with vanilla spawners or you could use Cursed Earth from Extra Utilities to produce this essence and then use it to spawn other more specific mobs. MFR also has automatic breeding and slaughter for animals through the Breeder->Chronotyper->Slaughterhouse/Grinder.
  3. Not sure what you mean by mobs. Bees are a separate system that is quite complex. You put a princess and drone "items" in Apiaries/Alvearies and they will then produce items. It might be a bit much to go for this the first time playing, as the breeding of bees is quite involved. Specially if you do not have any of the "cheater" mods that trivializes it a lot.
EDIT: I actually just remembered that I wrote a little guide for Forge Multiparts: https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/th...ide-collection-etc.42664/page-37#post-1017129

Reactions: ICountFrom0

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry meants mods, not mobs.
No mobs(except for a few specialized bees). The bees are found out in the world in Hives. Breaking them with a Scoop will give you a few bees, usually a Princess and a few Drones. You can then put these into Apiaries and breed them to produce items. You can also crossbreed them to produce new breeds of bees. But this gets really complicated, so you are probably better off looking up some very detailed guides if you decide to go for it. Just be warned, normal Forestry breeding takes a LOT of time. And the process is rather an acquired taste. I like it, but many people don't.

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
I did bee's years ago.
I'm sure there was a mod that allowed you to splice bee DNA.
Wasn't sure if there was mods like this in Revelations.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I did bee's years ago.
I'm sure there was a mod that allowed you to splice bee DNA.
Wasn't sure if there was mods like this in Revelations.
Oh sorry, mistook you for sprackraptor asking about FTB Lite lol. Gendustry will allow you to trivialise the cross breeding a lot. Forestry also has its own machines for doing this, but it is a lot more involved.

Lol, can pretty much disregard my previous posts lol. I need sleep...

S

sprackraptor

after more playing and researching... I'm thinking of switching servers. if I'm using a mod pack (still FTB Lite 3), do I need to join a server that has that particular pack enabled, or does a server just need to have mods enabled in general? or does it not matter? let me know if this question doesn't make sense, I'm still figuring stuff out here...

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
after more playing and researching... I'm thinking of switching servers. if I'm using a mod pack (still FTB Lite 3), do I need to join a server that has that particular pack enabled, or does a server just need to have mods enabled in general? or does it not matter? let me know if this question doesn't make sense, I'm still figuring stuff out here...
For all intents and purposes, you need to join a server that has that pack installed.

There are some mods which are "client side only" which can differ, but most mods have both client and server components.

Client-side only mods would be things that impact only you, such as fps-improving mods.

S

sprackraptor

hmm... so that's probably why I was auto-joined to a server after installing the pack. hmmmmm. thanks Pyure! now I just have to decide... do I look for another server? or another mod pack? or just keep on with what I've got, despite not being able to breed villagers because the server defaults to "mobGriefing" off and won't let me change it...